Competitive 1k pts list ideas, Vanguard Detachment

asmodai

Hi all,

New to Raven Guard and building up a little force to take to a local tournament, looking for other ideas to make a well balanced, take-all-comers list for 1,000pts, Vanguard Detachment only. Wrote a list I thought would be useful then got MURDERED in a play-testing game yesterday against Orks. Looking for any cheeky or clever little combos I may have missed in my research of Raven Guard tactics and codex.

So far the list I have is:

++HQ++

-New Shrike (Warlord for no Overwatch)

-Jump Pack Chaplain (1CP spent for Warlord Trait MoA)

++ELITES+

-Aggressors x6 (boltstorm gaunlets and fragstorm launchers)

-Terminators x5 (stormbolters/powerfist, sarge has stormbolter/powersword)

-Vanguard Vets x5 (Storm shield/thunder hammer, storm shield/power sword x2, plasma pistol/powerfist, plasma pistol/chainsword)

-Venerably Dreadnought (twin las, stormbolter, dread combat weapon)

+TROOPS+

-scout snipers x5 (sniper rifle/camo cloaks)

-scouts x5 (bolters/heavy bolter)

total- 1000pts. 

I lost initiative on roll off and failed to sieze, MoA'd the aggressors forward into one of 4 terrain pieces on the board (none of which were LOS blocking), with scouts screening ahead of them, on the objective turn one. Put van vets in cover but still 12" away from the second objective for my turn, and everything else in cover. Lost the dread, 4 plain scouts, 3 sniper scouts, and 3 aggressors to alpha strike even with the -1 to hit and the cover save. He was able to charge scout remaining and consolidate into the aggressors left. At this point, moved the van vets up to the ork trukk and killed it, but lost the van vets and Shrike to his Warboss, Pain Boy, and Shootas the next turn. At that point, I couldn't pull even on points and conceded, and reminded myself it was my first game with the RG sneaky bois. 

The next list, I think I need to roll in some chaff screening/light vehicle killing backfield goodies, thinking about filling the Heavy Support slots with a Thunderfire and Whirlwind (with the S7 AP-2 D2 profile), and with a Lt back there to countercharge if needed and reroll those 1's to wound. Thinking about axing the VanVets, because while useful for the Advance/Charge strat if you get the first turn, which would have also been great for the Aggressors (could've double tapped and held the objective, double tapping in overwatch and hopefully Feigned Flight out of combat next round for another round of shooty+charge.) The problem with that is that it depends on first turn to be effective, and that is unreliable at best. Any thoughts for better balancing the list/making it more effective at taking a punch? I'm already working on having the conversation with the store about LOS blocking terrain for the actual tournament, but short of Deep Striking everything in turn 2 that seems to be my other best option to keep my sneaky bois alive to punch back. Any thoughts appreciated. 

Thank, Brother! Coming from a Black Templars background, more of a counter punch, but I like the idea of the close combat alpha strike that Raven Guard can bring to the fight. Aggressors and Ven Vets out in front turn 1 and shooting away and tagging a shooty thing I dont want to be on the other end of during the opponent's alpha strike were appealing. As far as models, I have a lot of black armored things I could pull in from the Templars, and the new Shrike model. Working on getting Aggressors because MoA on a squad of 6 is just too tempting. I have roughly 3k points of Templars, but eventually the Raven Guard will have their distinctive paint scheme separate once I build up a full 2k army for them. Edited by asmodai

Maybe with the Venerable Dreadnought, take the Missile Launcher, and bring a Thunderfire Cannon so the gunner can repair.

Shrike goes well with Grav Chute and knife & pistol Reivers. 2 squads of 5 being better than 10. If you really want to bring Terminators, consider Tartaros with Lightning Claws. Fantastic heresy-era look, and that extra mobility is nice.

I agree on Aggressors with MoA. Called it when the supplement dropped, nerf beat was going to hit the Centurions, especially as they are not Primaris. Consider a Primaris Chaplain, with Catechism of Fire, maybe even burn 1CP for Master of Sanctity and Recitation of Focus. The only thing is, to fit it all in, 5 Aggressors instead of 6, and you are a hair under 1000 points.

Coming from Black Templars, have you considered using Carcharadons? Tyberos with Reivers or the Tartaros Terminators would be nasty, with that +1S