Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wolf vs the Beast 9th March...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
717 replies to this topic

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

Bargain. That means you're paying £15 for ghaz Mak and Ragnar. Wowsers

Its a bargain if you wanted the stuff :)

For Wolf half, not sure there were too many Wolf players who were waiting to nab 10 infiltrators/incursors.

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 930 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

would been nice to atleast get them upgrade sprues with wolves. Tut tut GW...

• Cyrox and Irbis like this

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 747 posts

would been nice to atleast get them upgrade sprues with wolves. Tut tut GW...

Doesn't look like GW is planning any Phobos-class upgrade sprues and the existing ones are full of equipment that Infiltrators can't use. Yeah, it makes for an unsatisfying boxed set for any non-codex compliant chapter in the meantime. Wouldn't be a big deal in another year or two when there are more Tacticus and Gravis units out just like it was fine when Tooth and Claw was released with Intercessors and Aggressors. But trying to make a great Wolfy experience out of Phobos units and one chapter-specific model is going to leave a lot of players unimpressed. Very possibly why GW overweighted the Ork side of the box.

Frater Antodeniel

Frater Antodeniel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,075 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Blood

On my opinion, the Box would have been far better if instead of the Infiltrators, GW had put Close Combat "Intercessors" in it.

The model of Ragnar is perfect in the depiction of a melee warrior in Tacticus armour, but having him "backed" by phobos infiltrators is off the thematic.

Actually, the Primaris range suffer from a clear lack of close combat units and in tacticus armour. It is easy to picture that CC Intercessors charging alongside Ragnard would have made more sense. In this regard, it is a missed opportunity on GW side to do this Ragnar release without the proper troops.

As for the Phobos upgrades kits, they too, are a missing key elements of the miniature customization. (But if you consider that Phobos units are the Primaris "Scouts", it become less important than it is for other, "veterans" units.)

• Red_Shift likes this

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That is the difference between I and you."

++ Rorschak, First Blade of the Knights of Blood during his Forum Judicium Trial in 849.M40 following the chapter excommunication by the High Lords of Terra ++

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

Box is $170

My FLGS is taking pre orders now

Is that before or. After the discount?
I assume before. He said there is an additional 10% for pre order

So I think $170 is the GW MSRP

Owner of my FLGS said that it's 210 USD (with his 10% off it's 189).

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,691 posts

I doubt that - that's not even 20% off on the contents (benchmarking Ghaz at $65).

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

I doubt that - that's not even 20% off on the contents (benchmarking Ghaz at $65).

You'd be right to doubt it.... He was looking at the CAD price instead of the USD price :lol:

So it's 170 USD, 210 CAD

• TiguriusX and wildweasel like this

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,583 posts

Bargain. That means you're paying £15 for ghaz Mak and Ragnar. Wowsers

Bargain? How? wacko.png

It should be 110-125$ tops. Calth box costed 1/4 less, had twice the amount of minis, all new ones at that, plus a whole free nice boardgame. It's sad people already forgot SC and battle boxes really used to be a bargain, not a paltry few % off and that's only thanks to a few less desirable units thrown in. Similarly "bargain" Phoenix box still warms the shelves...

I don't think you appreciate just how expensive Meganobz are...

Or maybe, just maybe, I think their price is bonkers and not buying them as (weak as it is) justification of box price? whistlingW.gif

Anyway, even Meganob price aside, a mere year ago you could have expected it to be ~120$ range. Not in my opinion, that was genuinely the usual reduction in SC and army boxes. My hat off to GW, you wipe the memory out with one eye-wateringly expensive box that was Fail of the Phoenix and things like Sister box or this thing suddenly start to appear normal while a year ago they would be booed right out as insane...

Also if you tot up blood of the phoenix then it's 32% off RRP so it may be warming the shelves but compared with buying separately it is reasonable.

facepalm.png

A ) go look up reductions from a year ago and go back to me with straight face trying to tell me they are anywhere near close to reasonable. I am waiting.

B ) they are only """reasonable""" if you want all the models in the box. Which, seeing a lot of the Phoenix was ancient junk almost no one bought in last half of decade, is kinda weak argument. But never mind the age of the models, their rules suck too. Eldar players were complaining precisely because GW just thrown whatever wasn't selling and was clogging the warehouses to muddy the price issue. In what world thinking something that old, with that bad rules, something literally no one wants, is worth full, very high price? And that's before we even talk about really overpriced Banshees, and even these two wrongs don't make Phoenix price anywhere near reasonable in vacuum. If it was, the box would be bought out by splitters, if anyone. The fact even they gave up on it kind of destroys any claims the price is anywhere near okay.

C ) the above aside, let's look at SW box. What do we have here? Infiltrators, a very bad choice because not only they don't fit Ragnar thematically (Reivers would be much better fit, though they would walk right into bad rules issue above), but also because recent vanguard SC offers very cheap infiltrator squad that is ironically better than a full one (if only because it had the mini-apothecary the full one lacks). So, yeah, again, the box is """reasonable""" if you blindly take full GW price, not the usual ebay offerings - because if you do, the % off suddenly vanishes and you in fact heavily overpay. Reasonable? To who, again?

But hey, if you think this is reasonable, I have this here rock - it costs 9999$, but I am willing to sell it 99% off. A real bargain, eh? Surely you must be already reaching for your credit card, because you already bought the exact same trick from GW once, so why not fall for it again, eh? rolleyesclean.gif

• mithrilforge and Brother Cristopher like this

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,774 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

With prices like that (170+ range) I hope Gw is ready to not sell as many boxes. It could very well be a way to get back at the discount sellers, the ones that divide up the boxes for resale. 
GW want's it's pound of flesh. I will only be buying Ghaz and I'll wait for him to be discounted somewhere. Ironically I have nearly enough store credit saved up to get the whole box. 
Maybe that's the smart move, if I can split it up and pocket some cash.  

• XIXWYRMEXIX likes this

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

With prices like that (170+ range) I hope Gw is ready to not sell as many boxes. It could very well be a way to get back at the discount sellers, the ones that divide up the boxes for resale. 
GW want's it's pound of flesh. I will only be buying Ghaz and I'll wait for him to be discounted somewhere. Ironically I have nearly enough store credit saved up to get the whole box. 
Maybe that's the smart move, if I can split it up and pocket some cash.  

Remember when the 175 USD Shadowspear box sold out in under a week?

170 for a battle box is nothing.

GenerationTerrorist

GenerationTerrorist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 151 posts

Won't be getting the set, but hopefully lots of Infiltrator/Incursor sets going up on ebay for me to nab :-)

40K:
- 2000pts Space Wolves - Ragnar Blackmane's Phobos/Wulfen
- 1750pts Primaris Black Templars - Marshal Varna's Crusade

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,857 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Where’d it sell out at though, GW’s online store? There’s still a Shadowspear at the FLGS down the street from me, it’s been there since the box went on sale, and that’s with the offering of a store discount for it. I already got one and that was by the offer of a 25% off discount.

You can also still find Shadowspear boxes (new) on Amazon for $148.75 (15% off).

So it’s not like the entire stock of Shadowspear is gone at $175.

The cost of this box isn’t “nothing” - it’s not a good deal to me either, so I’ll be waiting - I’ve got other stuff to work on.

A box’s price isn’t automatically “good” because you are getting a discount - people acted like I was crazy when I said that Blood of the Phoenix and Dark Uprising boxes were too much at it was going to cause slower sales of the boxes - Dark Uprising was even easy to track because they had that 3000 box counter where you got the key chain for free - that counter only fell off a month - 1.5 months ago, meaning the box sold all the way through the busiest sales period of the year, and didn’t even sell 3K boxes.

Everyone can say “anecdotal evidence is meaningless” but the boxes aren’t “flying off the shelves” when the prices are this high. Heck, there are still decent Apocalypse boxes that are on the shelves, even GW stores didn’t sell out of all of them and had to send some back.
  • mithrilforge and Black Blow Fly like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,369 posts

I really want the orks side of this (it can add to my pile of shame ork horde army that is nearly entirely unbuilt) and i like the ragnar model a lot though he would likely be conversion fodder or a pure painting project as i collect DA.

I'm still not sure on the infiltrators. I think it is mainly the helmets for me. 

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

Where’d it sell out at though, GW’s online store? There’s still a Shadowspear at the FLGS down the street from me, it’s been there since the box went on sale, and that’s with the offering of a store discount for it. I already got one and that was by the offer of a 25% off discount.

You can also still find Shadowspear boxes (new) on Amazon for $148.75 (15% off).

So it’s not like the entire stock of Shadowspear is gone at $175.

The cost of this box isn’t “nothing” - it’s not a good deal to me either, so I’ll be waiting - I’ve got other stuff to work on.

GW's Online Store, their stores, everywhere else..... The owner of my FLGS said his rep told him that Shadowspear was gone completely when he asked after it didn't show up the second order set he put in for it.

Your FLGS still having a copy doesn't change the fact that the box was available for a week or so and wasn't available for several months until they did a second release.

Amazon's stock is either from the restock that came out, or people don't buy it on Amazon (I'm betting on the former).

• 01RTB01 likes this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,857 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Your FLGS still having a copy doesn't change the fact that the box was available for a week or so and wasn't available for several months until they did a second release.

Well, clearly you want you evidence to “beat up” mine, but it was available (three copies) since release at my FLGS. It didn’t “sell out” or “fly off the shelf” every where - if my FLGS would have been able to off load it, they would have. They haven’t reordered it, I know the owner of the store fairly well at this point.

Sorry that your experience is different than mine - “selling out” without data is meaningless - the only thing it indicates is that the location sold all of its stock.

The “value” of a box is specifically relative to the purchaser - each person judges the price compared to their needs/wants - GW has figured out how to front load sales with “exclusives” that aren’t and people buy into that - it just means that marketing works - people will buy less than stellar items to own something before others, it doesn’t mean that the box is priced well, has good value (again, that’s relative), etc.
  • mithrilforge likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,927 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
We really don't need to have the same argument about GW's prices every time, folks. Yes, their kits are expensive.

In the absence of further news, I'm going to lock this up. If you really want to continue the discussions, take them to the Space Wolves and Orks forums.

=][=

• Black Blow Fly, Dosjetka, Gederas and 6 others like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,927 posts
We have an update from GW. Feel free to join the discussion in the Orks forum.
  • Black Blow Fly, NTaW and Brokejaw Gutripper like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,927 posts
Today, we have the Space Wolves update teaser. Join the discussion in the Halls of the Fang.
  • PeteySödes, Ishagu, Iron Father Imeran Byon and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users