Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wolf vs the Beast 9th March...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
717 replies to this topic

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,807 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
So no Russ huh.
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,686 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Just got Ragnars stats sent to me, awaiting from my source if I can share the image or not, I can confirm he does have the Primaris Keyword though

Well that news has just saved me 20 odd quid... :tu:

• Drefanus Aldwinius and Lucerne like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,429 posts

I don't believe for a second that you ever thought there was the slightest chance for him not to be Primaris.

• mithrilforge, Black Blow Fly, Noserenda and 8 others like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,921 posts

I don't believe for a second that you ever thought there was the slightest chance for him not to be Primaris.

I've no wolf interest but I did wonder.

RA-sig.jpg

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,889 posts

So no Russ huh.

no primarchs in PA, only hints

banana

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,686 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Tbh I was hoping (yea I know hope is the first step on the road to disappointment and all that) that it was gonna be another mini that can be a generic character or a new named character like the Dark Angels dude. 

I wouldnt say its my usual anti Primaris gakpost, all I did was say Im saving money, thats a good thing considering how much debt Im in atm, cant afford extravagantly priced single minis for the foreseeable future. Depending on the sculpt itself maybe one day I may pick him up just to paint though, always loved Ragnar since he was first released and whilst Im not a fan of Primaris as a whole I do admit I see the appeal to others and I wont let my dislike of the whole range stop me from enjoying an old time favourite. All depends on the pose etc though. 

And Im giving him blonde hair like he used to have. 

• mithrilforge, Burni, Cyrox and 3 others like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

Bloody Legionnaire

Bloody Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,502 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

So no Russ huh.

Russ is not coming to 40k... I thought this fantasy died when the codex dropped

• Black Blow Fly likes this

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,692 posts

So no Russ huh.

Why would it? Now that GW has shown that they are willing to do primarchs at all, the door is open for all of them. I do think people are way too optimistic about how often GW will do so, especially for any more loyalists. But with Gulliman being brought to life again, they are on the table.

• fire golem likes this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,921 posts

So no Russ huh.

Primarchs being made into models "will not happen" people said. Look at the world now.

Primarchs are no longer a fantasy just a case of 'when'. Russ will return as and when.

It's not a dead Fantasy, just one in stasis.
  • Dumah likes this

RA-sig.jpg

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts

I can't say I'm optimistic to see another palette swap Intercessor LT...

Edited by Lucerne, 04 March 2020 - 03:49 AM.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Only S6 and D2 so I'm not too worried. Mephiston when buffed (which he usually is) comes close to that amount of attacks but is S10 with +1 to wound.

If he’s facing a unit with higher power rating he can use Seeking a Saga stratagem for 1CP to reroll wounds.

Makes him far more dangerous that the S6 suggests.

Against T7+ it's still far less than what Mephiston usually dishes out (~3 wounds vs ~4 wounds unbuffed).

Not trying to say he's worse than Mephiston or making this some kind of contest or anything. I'm just trying to put things into perspective since I've seen several post where people think the 10 attacks are unrealistic or whatever. Ragnar will be amazing at wiping any kind of infantry that's maybe not Custodes or Death Guard but he's not going to be punching the really big things as hard as many of the other options we already have in the game today.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

TheWolfLord

TheWolfLord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,581 posts

Only S6 and D2 so I'm not too worried. Mephiston when buffed (which he usually is) comes close to that amount of attacks but is S10 with +1 to wound.

If he’s facing a unit with higher power rating he can use Seeking a Saga stratagem for 1CP to reroll wounds.

Against T7+ it's still far less than what Mephiston usually dishes out (~3 wounds vs ~4 wounds unbuffed).

Not trying to say he's worse than Mephiston or making this some kind of contest or anything. I'm just trying to put things into perspective since I've seen several post where people think the 10 attacks are unrealistic or whatever. Ragnar will be amazing at wiping any kind of infantry that's maybe not Custodes or Death Guard but he's not going to be punching the really big things as hard as many of the other options we already have in the game today.

I wasn’t trying to get into a competition either, just pointing out that in a pinch he can reroll wounds against tougher more powerful enemies. His flexibility is key for me as he can mince units but still cause decent damage to tougher models.

Different factions though and overall I think Space Wolves have more good non character options for dealing with high toughness than BA so having an infantry mincer is useful.

As always the main issue for Wolves is reaching combat, if that isn’t addressed then nothing really changes for us.

• Panzer likes this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I wasn’t trying to get into a competition either, just pointing out that in a pinch he can reroll wounds against tougher more powerful enemies. His flexibility is key for me as he can mince units but still cause decent damage to tougher models.

Different factions though and overall I think Space Wolves have more good non character options for dealing with high toughness than BA so having an infantry mincer is useful.

As always the main issue for Wolves is reaching combat, if that isn’t addressed then nothing really changes for us.

Yeah I completely agree. It looks like Ragnar will have only the regular M6 without a way to deep strike or such so he'd rely on footslogging or transports while Thunderhammer Captains can take Jump Packs and Mephiston can make himself fly etc as well as BA having a +1 to advance and charge rolls by default plus a 3d6 charge Stratagem for Jump Pack units that just got deployed which is the reason why BA melee lists work so well right now.

Edited by Panzer, 04 March 2020 - 07:59 AM.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 383 posts

Maybe he doesn't have his wolves cause they die saving him from Ghaz giving time for his brothers to pull him to safety. 

• Karhedron likes this

Hasuro

Hasuro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Yeah I completely agree. It looks like Ragnar will have only the regular M6 without a way to deep strike or such so he'd rely on footslogging or transports while Thunderhammer Captains can take Jump Packs and Mephiston can make himself fly etc as well as BA having a +1 to advance and charge rolls by default plus a 3d6 charge Stratagem for Jump Pack units that just got deployed which is the reason why BA melee lists work so well right now.

Well, he still can go outflank via "Cunning of the Wolf" stratagem, not so universal as deepstrike, but still

• Panzer likes this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,999 posts

Yeah I completely agree. It looks like Ragnar will have only the regular M6 without a way to deep strike or such so he'd rely on footslogging or transports

Yup, that looks like the way it will be. Also take into account that the units he will likely want to buff are probably going to be riding in classic transports since Primaris don't have many great melee options at the moment (although Aggressors are a bit better now they have 3 wounds).

So if that is the case and we can't use Ragnar the way BAs use Mephy/Slamguinius, how can we best make use of Ragnar?

The simplest solution is to use him foot-slogging as a mid-field brawler. He moves up with ABR Intercessors, Hellblasters or Aggressors to buff their shooting and provide some hefty counter-charge if they get threatened. If the enemy is not an aggressive melee army then after moving up, Ragnar can charge T2 to deliver a coup-de-grace. The downside with this is that even Primaris are not really tough enough to simply walk into the guns of a shooty army with much chance of surviving (and Bjorn does the same trick pretty well already).

The viability of using Ragnar as a superior buff-Lord will depend entirely on his price. If he is only a few points more than a regular WL, he might be worth it but that hardly seems fluffy or making good use of his apparent aura abilities.

The other option is to put him in something like an Impulsor for protection and drive him up the field T1. Then on T2, he hops out and you DS a group of heavy hitters like TDA Wolf Guard around him to benefit from his reroll charges aura (assuming Valrak's leaks are accurate). Even rerolled 9" charges only hit 48% of the time though so we would really need some ability to add an extra inch or two to our charge ranges to make it reliable. Possibly a Jump Pack Wolf Priest with Canticle of Hate hiding behind the Impulsor would do the trick. Rerolling 7" charges for 2-3 units of Deep Striking Hammernators is starting to look a lot more dangerous.
  • TheWolfLord and Panzer like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

NatBrannigan

NatBrannigan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,149 posts

I'll use him just to give my Thunderwolves another 2 attacks on the charge, probably in an Impulsor to keep up with them I guess? Looking forward to seeing what other goodies we get to go with him.

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,029 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, House Orlock

Perhaps bundle Ragnar in with a 5-man Intercessor Squad (Sergeant with Power Fist) in an Impulsor?

Sergeant adds four S8, -3AP Dd3 attacks hitting on 3+.

-Ran

• Wispy likes this

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,999 posts

I'll use him just to give my Thunderwolves another 2 attacks on the charge, probably in an Impulsor to keep up with them I guess? Looking forward to seeing what other goodies we get to go with him.

I think Ragnar's +3A on the charge applies only to him, it doesn't look like it is an aura ability. sad.png

Ragnar's points went down to 100 in CA19. If he follows Mephiston and keeps the same cost but with Primaris stats, I think he will work well as a slightly better buff Lord. A Primaris WL is 78 points, add maybe 12 for Frostfang. On that basis, Ragnar will be paying around 10 points for the following abilities on top of a regular Primaris WL:

1. +2 attacks on profile
  2. +2 extra attacks during 1st round of combat
  3. 6" aura of rerolled charges
  4. Possible 6" aura granting 6" pile-in

If this turns out to be accurate Ragnar looks like he will get quite a lot of buffs for a few extra points and he may have invalidated this guy that I just finished. :P

med_gallery_82363_15236_363574.jpg

• Panzer likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

Perhaps bundle Ragnar in with a 5-man Intercessor Squad (Sergeant with Power Fist) in an Impulsor?

Sergeant adds four S8, -3AP Dd3 attacks hitting on 3+.

-Ran

Lone Wolf that sergeant :)

Impulsor with shield dome looks the way to go with him. Repulsor would be too much of a target
  • Karhedron likes this

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,704 posts

Maybe he doesn't have his wolves cause they die saving him from Ghaz giving time for his brothers to pull him to safety.

I feel like that's actually the plot. Rags shows up, fights Ghaz, gets his backside stomped on. Near death, he crosses the Rubicon, then goes back as Super Ragnar and fights to a standstill while something happens off stage that makes Ghaz leave. Wolves win by default.
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,660 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I feel like that's actually the plot. Rags shows up, fights Ghaz, gets his backside stomped on. Near death, he crosses the Rubicon, then goes back as Super Ragnar and fights to a standstill while something happens off stage that makes Ghaz leave. Wolves win by default.

Hmmm why do I feel like I already read this one before?
  • TiguriusX and Karhedron like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,130 posts

Ahem..

Spoiler

• Shadow Captain Vyper, Dosjetka, TiguriusX and 1 other like this

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 962 posts

I think Ragnar's +3A on the charge applies only to him, it doesn't look like it is an aura ability. sad.png

Ragnar's points went down to 100 in CA19. If he follows Mephiston and keeps the same cost but with Primaris stats, I think he will work well as a slightly better buff Lord. A Primaris WL is 78 points, add maybe 12 for Frostfang. On that basis, Ragnar will be paying around 10 points for the following abilities on top of a regular Primaris WL:
  • +2 attacks on profile
  • +2 extra attacks during 1st round of combat
  • 6" aura of rerolled charges
  • Possible 6" aura granting 6" pile-in
If this turns out to be accurate Ragnar looks like he will get quite a lot of buffs for a few extra points and he may have invalidated this guy that I just finished. :P

med_gallery_82363_15236_363574.jpg

It's tough to say without knowing what the new relics and warlord traits are. I'll probably run him either way though.

Focslain

Focslain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,582 posts
  • Faction: Knights of House Jenius

Are the dogs confirmed?

I see no dogs on my stats but it may be a different stat card altogether.

Existing codex has them in the stat line section. Hopefully theyre listed in points and abilities

Wont be funny if they forgot them or he doesnt get them. They guaranteed a charge on turn 2

They might be a separate data card like Celestine's Geminae Superia now. Which would be neat because that would allow us to add back the 'wargear' wolves that all WGBLs and WLs used to be able to take last edition.

A challenge is a challenge till it is beaten, then it is a victory.
The greater the challenge the greater the victory, so I challenge the impossible.

Recent badges (older ones on About Me page)

gallery_30308_9518_8597.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_48988_16308_20607.pnggallery_48988_16308_29741.png

12 Months Completion badges (2020)

tn_gallery_48988_15094_5012.pngtn_gallery_48988_15094_3009.pngtn_gallery_48988_15094_10344.pnggallery_48988_15094_4025.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users