Rolling for reserves in Matched Play

I'm new to 8th edition and used to 4th &5th edition, so this is probably a stupid question, sorry. 

The BRB isn't clear about reserves. It doesn't state anything in the Matched play missions about rolling for reserves. However, the Glossary says under "Reserves" that "The mission will usually state when the units placed in reserve arrive..." then "if the mission does not specify when... roll for each unit at the end of your 2nd movement phase..." etc but as far as I can tell, none of the Matched Play missions explain when reserves arrive. In which case you make a "...Reserve Roll. On a 3+..." so the Glossary is the only place this rule exists? That seems unusual. 

I'm using the enhanced edition for iPad of the BRB, am I missing something? Do you roll for reserves in Matched Play or do they just arrive at the end of your movement phase on turn 2?

There is no rolling for reserves in matched play. You simply follow the rules for reinforcements combined with the special rule (listed on their datasheet) that has allowed them to start the game in reserve in the first place.

The rules for reserves have been altered from the BRB for matched (and competitive) play. You should probably check out the latest Chapter Approved and the BRB FAQ for the updated rules.

That makes sense but the Glossary entry made it confusing. Not sure if that is even a thing in the physical paper BRB. 

So am I correct in thinking that "Chapter Approved" is basically a BRB update? 

That makes sense but the Glossary entry made it confusing. Not sure if that is even a thing in the physical paper BRB. 

So am I correct in thinking that "Chapter Approved" is basically a BRB update? 

More or less. Chapter Approved is a book with additional missions and stuff that also serves as balance update by adjusting points costs for a lot of units.

What page/section are the actual rules for deep striking / reserves found in the BRB? Such as, where does it say you have to place your model 9" from enemy models?

Everything I can find seems to indicate that placement of models from reserve is dictated by the specific mission rules, which also stipulate when (or if) to roll for reserves. 

Edited by Astral Arcane

What page/section are the actual rules for deep striking / reserves found in the BRB? Such as, where does it say you have to place your model 9" from enemy models?

Everything I can find seems to indicate that placement of models from reserve is dictated by the specific mission rules, which also stipulate when (or if) to roll for reserves. 

Mostly it is contained in either a missions' specific rules, or a units datasheet.

There is, technically, no 'standard' reserves rule, it will vary depending on what unit is using it (eg, a Necron Monolith must be more than 12" away from enemy models; whereas Astartes Assault Marines must be more than 9" away). Some missions do allow for any unit to be in reserves, but this is usually to do with a specific kind of deployment (eg, an army is split into three parts and only one starts on the table) and is often a Narrative focused mission.

Thank you for the explanation. Including all the rules in the datasheet is a departure from the old way it was done! 

Indeed. The intention was to create a core rulesystem that's slim and easy to learn and for everything else you consult the units datasheet and the faction specific rules in your codex.