Thoughts for new races/Factions in 40K

In terms of "full" armies, I'd like to see Traitor Guard.

Otherwise I'd love to see a sort of "second tier" set of armies that are meant more for open play (or as allies in soup-style competitive lsits), for things like Inquisitor forces, Dark Mechanicum, a Rogue Trader and their private army, an Imperial Governor and their Arbites/Enforcers, Sisters of Silence, an AdMech Explorator force, Hrud/Zoat-type xenos lists, and what have you. Maybe finally divorce Kroot from the Tau and give them their own full list.

Basically armies akin to the Harlequin list or the GSC list prior to their new codex and expanded range.

I'm also on the camp of expanding/independizing existing ranges or adding factions that already exist in the background over adding something completely new.

At this point, I don't think I need to mention Emperor's Children and World Eaters aching for the day they become independent, but Ynnari or Sisters of Silence could use something beyond what they have too, although I guess the latter are being rolled into Talons with the Custodes. And Kroot, for example, could easily be explored further and expanded as their own mini-faction. And from the lore, DarkMech, Lost and the Damned and others have already been mentioned, but there are multiple Xenos races that could be looked at too, like the Hrud.

Necrons could have three factions unto themselves if split into Triarch, Dynasty, and Canoptek. Triarch could cover the returned Silent King marshalling his force of Praetorians and Dynasties loyal to him. Dynasty could cover standard Dynasties that aren't part of the Triarch, are controlled by C'Tan or consumed by the Flayer virus, Destroyer Cults, and anything else I'm missing. Canoptek would cover the massed swarms of critters and war machines built by the Crypteks to maintain and defend the Tomb Worlds, potentially even representing forces governed by the planet's (rouge) AI. Edited by NTaW

There is definitely scope for adding to existing factions, expanding on those elements we read about but cant bring ti the table top. Traitor guard, Corsairs, Dark Mechanicum and Kroot are the most obvious factions to expand; also the ones that would be the easiest to do models wise.

Then other factions that would be interesting to play are Adeptus Arbites, Rogue Traders, Pirates, Demiurg and few other Xenos factions. Models wise would GW invest in these lines? Demand and sales would have to be high to warrant these.

Variety is great however and would definitely be interesting to see new playable factions.

What Tyler said, and revamp of old kits and modernization of everyone's lines before something new new

No new factions. The factions that are there needs too mich work. There are just too many ancient figures in them that needs to be updated. Also the game is bloated enough as it is

I like the idea of new sub-factions for the older lines which provide transitions to whatever GW is thinking about long-term in addition to updating old kits. A smart use of sprues could get a "single" new kit a lot of possibility. CAD design could get a lot done. Set up the basic body designs and have the weapons (with/without hands) separate from the arms. Then copy the basic body sprue and add texture to make each different regiment (only downside: each regiment ends up having the same pose options). Have the heavy weapons sprue be compatible with the basic body sprue. That's Infantry Squad and Heavy Weapons Squad. Include the right gubbins and you could also have Command and Veteran Squads covered as well.

Slightly more cynically or perhaps more... worldy(?) I think new sub-factions or faction re-orientation is a great way for GW to really delve into what makes 40k unique. The Astra Militarum (while originating from IP issues) should be more than the SCA for Vietnam War era US Army, Laurence of Arabia, Imperial Cossacks, WW2 era Red Army, and Generic Army. If GW wants to stick with all of those then they definitely need some 40k-ifying. However, it might be simpler to phase them out and replace them with a new line which is purpose designed to fit where things are now rather than try to come up with the missing link (*stares intently at Deathwatch Veteran Squad and it's better sizing than other Marines while still being a bit oddly proportioned*).

I was thinking about it the other day, and wondered if it wouldn’t be safer for GW to release non-specific kits to avoid ever having to defend the IP from third parties. For instance, instead of something like Tallarn Desert Raiders and Vahallan Ice Warriors which are pretty generic, release an Astra Militarum Cadian Shock Trooper Hostile Environment Squad which would be dudes in cold weather gear with fur hats or something. That way it’s defensible for the IP but also players can make Valhallans. Catachans could be light infantry, etc.

Another thing I was considering was how simple it would be and cheap production wise for GW to do the Necromunda production style. A box of two identical sprues engineered with alternate poses in mind.

I think that reducing the number of factions a bit, might be good. It would cause outrage, but overall, the story would be better served and it might give room for growth in new factions.

As for new factions, what I would MOST like to see is the T'au Auxiliaries. Kroot, of course, but also a lot of other alien creatures from all the worlds brought into the Greater Good.

The T'au always felt to me, in lore, like a vast empire that brought units fro different cultures, while allowing them to retain their own identity, as long as they serve the Greater Good. But, in the end, the T'au became just an army of Shield Drones and Riptides. Even when played in a varied way, it is still just suits, suits, and more suits.

I'd like to see a codex that is auxiliary to the T'au. Kind of how the Genestealer Cults are related to the Tyranids? But with the auxiliary forces of the T'au Empire.

I think that reducing the number of factions a bit, might be good. It would cause outrage, but overall, the story would be better served and it might give room for growth in new factions.

That's extremely optimistic. Way more likely is that reducing the number of factions wouldn't change anything about GWs storytelling quality.

Xenos! More xenos!

For a game in a Space Opera sci-fi setting, the focus is far too much of Man fighting his evil twin.

I'd love to see Rak'Gol, Yu'Vath constructs, Slaught, and all those other aliens that have their empires in Wilderness Space between imperial sectors.

Edited by Quantum

There's plenty of scope for new races, what I think would be difficult is making them play uniquely. There are already a lot of factions and considerable overlap in playstyles between them, since the rules system really just comes down to a triangle between horde/elite, durable/agile, and shooty/punchy. Most of the actual flavour comes from special rules/stratagems, and I think we're already seeing the rules get a little bit over-reliant on those.

That said I would love Space Skaven with all of my heart. Make them play somewhere between AdMech and Orks. Give them technology rivalling anything the most advanced factions have access to, but characterised by complete disregard for experimental ethics or restrictions, rather than scientific refinement. Clan Skryre on warp-powered cystal meth, with nuclear virus-bomb artillery and genetically engineered bio-mechs. Lots of goofy welding googles.

Edited by Vermintide

There's no need for new factions to play entirely differently imo. It's enough for them to feel different because of the models and stuff. At the end of the day we could always play counts-as but we can't just make up entire model ranges on our own that easily. This is where we have to rely on GW or other companies.

What Panzer said. The only two factions I think should (as in meaning the next ones, not only ones that should be) be readily added to game; Kroot (already have a model range comparable with Harlequins and Custodes), and Traitor Gaurd/Lost&Damned. Due to readily existing in the lore already + model range (servant of abyss).*

Those are factions which have had mainline GW “Codex” Level rules. Otherwise I’d next is Corsairs/Exodites. Mostly I want GW to “tidy” up and make playable already existing coherent subfactions and not leave them lanquishing. Both Kroot and Lost&Damned have a sigificant range and kits that could be used for a new “Codex”/Astartes article

*Gue’vesa but just do Brood Brother style rules. Through traitor gaurd could argueably be done in same method.

Technically Traitor Guard already exist ala Renegades and Heretics. Not saying they're good (they're not), but the rules are there.

As far as Kroot are concerned, Games Workshop HAD a full line when FW models were included so they could bring them back. Will they? Who knows.

The problem with counts-as is you still need player consent to use them in alliances and that opens up Pandora's Box with synergy and whatnot. I would LOVE to play a counts-as Dark Mechanicum army, but I wouldn't be able to ally them with my Chaos Knights and if I could, how would they interact with one another? Would they be able to use Strategems? Would they share CP? If you're playing standalone it's not a big deal as long as they're WYSIWYG, but when you're making a counts-as army to compliment your collection it starts to become a more complicated issue.

I've always been fascinated by the H'rud and it would be great to see what gw could do with an entirely new faction, kit wise. Of course as much as that would be awesome there are some factions (eldar particularly) that frankly could do with a whole line refresh. Exodites though are really cool and would be a great mini faction. They would also work as a potential expansion to the rest of the eldar like with a new ranger/outcast infantry kit and dinosaur riders as the basics for a mini faction. Edited by Red_Shift

That said I would love Space Skaven with all of my heart. Make them play somewhere between AdMech and Orks. Give them technology rivalling anything the most advanced factions have access to, but characterised by complete disregard for experimental ethics or restrictions, rather than scientific refinement. Clan Skryre on warp-powered cystal meth, with nuclear virus-bomb artillery and genetically engineered bio-mechs. Lots of goofy welding googles.

I was going to start Age of Sigmar until I saw Skryre's range was garbage. If they came out with Star-Skaven, I would play them in a heartbeat. I would buy their introductory box set with Primaris Marines in it and be among the new wave of Star-Skaven players.