Thoughts for new races/Factions in 40K

Primaris Legion of the Damned

How would that work? Aren't they believed to be the ghosts of a chapter that was lost in the Warp centuries before Primaris become a thing?

How would that work? Aren't they believed to be the ghosts of a chapter that was lost in the Warp centuries before Primaris become a thing?

That's one of the theories, yes, but there are other theories that might allow for non-Fire Hawks Legionnaires.

Don't they abduct dying Marines or something along those lines? Or did I completely imagine that?

In any case, I'd rather see the Legion of the Damned be reborn as true ghostly-flamey Marines, now that GW are getting really good with models that are hollow, floaty and smoky. See the upcoming Light of Eltharion and the Nighthaunt range for references. They could look awesome, with entire chunks of their armour gone to reveal completely empty insides, flames and smoke that are sculpted on instead of painted, and all in glorious plastic.

I like having the old ones (slann) return, perhaps to save the galaxy from tyranids or the necrons. Possibly now to aid the necrons in defeating the nids. Obe could explain the slann forsaw the eventual nid invasion of the galaxy, refused to help the necrontyr because they forsaw them becoming the necrons and working to stop the nids.

How about new armies that need few if any new models? Would that be OK?

I was thinking of a rogue trader army that. Might mostly use current minis. Suppose after the rift tore the imperium apart some sectors were cut off from aid but had powerful rogue traders in them that stepped up, took power and kept things going, basically becoming successful local governments?

There could be rogue trader armies made up of IG based forces plus mercenary forces, possibly kroot, and even eldar who are willing to offer aid to keep a sector they are passing tgru from falling to chaos? Possibly even necron forces could offer aid to stop tyranids and chaos. Rogue traders are notorious for working with xenos when it suits them. As long as they were willing to fight chaos or nids some xenos forces might aid them. They could also fight imperial forces trying to come in and reestablish imperial rule during the new crusade.

Maybe a box set of rogue trader parts and retinue figures and the rest would be existing minis. Add a codex, you're good to go.

That's one of the theories, yes, but there are other theories that might allow for non-Fire Hawks Legionnaires.

Wasnt being entirely straight faced. That said, given what sells for them, Legion of the Damned could definitely be expanded. Not sure theyd get a full codex treatment. Might even be a set of upgrade sprues. New models would have to be bigger than minimarines though

I'd like to see a race that is truely alien, completely different from the generic humanoid or bipedal type. There have been numerous creatures that have been encountered during the years, Hrud, Laer Rak'Gol etc etc.

Just something different.

Edited by Pulse

While a Men of Iron faction would be cool and I would welcome more models like the BSF one I'm not sure what difference there would be from Necrons, specially if there was faction rules/ specialized detachment representing a Tomb taken over by its rogue AI.

Maybe the MoI would form a coalition with the Necrons? Could Necrons have the tech to enslave MoI that they encounter, and would they consider the tech advanced enough to use against their enemies?

While a Men of Iron faction would be cool and I would welcome more models like the BSF one I'm not sure what difference there would be from Necrons, specially if there was faction rules/ specialized detachment representing a Tomb taken over by its rogue AI.

Maybe the MoI would form a coalition with the Necrons? Could Necrons have the tech to enslave MoI that they encounter, and would they consider the tech advanced enough to use against their enemies?

I actually see them as a faction that would float between imperium, Tau, and necron.

=][= In the OP they suggest an Imperial Cult faction, and this is a general discussion subforum.

If you have a problem with a post report it for Mods to handle; likewise if you think a thread is being derailed. =][=

Just bring back Squats I reckon. They could do it but they’d have to adjust the lore I suppose. 

Bring them back as Imperial Guard.

But also, don't do this, because my old school Rogue Trader ones are awesome, and GW will scale creep them, leave them effectively monopose, and ruin everything like they did with Sisters.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see proper Lost and the Damned, covering the whole spectrum from irregular fighting forces through to traitor guard, with lots of subtle details indicating their fall to Chaos, rather than being full-on turned like some of the Heretic Astartes units.

Kroot.

A full-fledged Kroot Codex with plenty of options and new units. 
Main focus on melee but with some shooting and infiltration elements. 
Big centrepiece models (Great Knarlocs) accompanied by lots of strange Kroots in different forms. 
Nice contrast between the feral nature of the Kroot and the iper technological Tau weaponry they wield.

dciyy2d-a987a3bc-c0c4-4f9b-8a0e-2f49d6f8
Edited by AenarIT

I'd make Space Dwarves.  They're the extra-galactic menace that the Tyranids are fleeing ahead of and that the Silent King has returned to rouse the Necrons to fight against.  They strip-mine entire solar systems to feed their mobile planetoids.

TT-wise they would have low move stats but a huge bonus to charge rolls (very dangerous over short distances).  Their prefered melee weapon is the power pickaxe.  Their battlecry is a mysterious, "For Carl!"  Their big HQ "procession" centerpiece is a mobile brewery/giant keg of ale that provides buffs to all nearby units, and enrages all dwarves if it is destroyed.

40k did do space dwarves (Squats) in the beginning, and bringing them back as they were would be pretty cool; their army was organized around living ancestors, who were the leaders and inspired fighters. Squats were very techy; they had access to power armour and bikes, bikes and more bikes (trikes, sidecars, etc).

For me, it's Imperial Agents. This isn't so much a new army- the components already exist. It's just collecting them all together in a dex and allowing them to work together smoothly, instead of creating a patchwork of rules that work around the detachment system. None of the pieces are large enough to fill a detachment. Getting an IA dex to work properly would be the fluffiest, most narrative thing they could do, and it could really bolster something like Crusade.

Shout out to Eldar Corsairs and Exodites too. The way I would roll with either of those is to release the kits as Ynnari dual builds; their dexes would be Harlequin small, but they would be built with Ynnari in mind in order to work with the existing range. The benefit there is twofold; since Ynnari dropped, many CWE and DE players worried that whole unit entries would leave their native dexes and becaome exclusive Ynnari in order to bolster the Ynnari as a proper faction. It would have been a huge loss for CWE and DE players.

But if you are creating a faction from scratch, well, designing it in such a way that it could fit into two different lists isn't a big deal. And both Corsairs and Exodites have existing links to Ynnari.

The easiest way for GW to do this is release three Corsair Units and three Exodite units as a Ynnari army. If they sell more Exodite kits, they create an Exodite dex and give them additional releases to make them standalone viable. If Corsair units sell better, they give them the treatment instead. Helps mitigate GW's risk AND ensures that no further Ynnari related damage is done to the DE or CWE dexes.

I would like to see something totally different. The Tau were made up whole cloth back in 3rd, seeing a new race would be neat.

Or even a loose mix of lesser xeno races, that could be used as mercenaries or as their own piratical faction. Sluagh, Taraellians, maybe some new space critters disturbed by all the psychical awakenings.

I don’t want to see more fantasy races in 40k. That’s gotta be the laziest, most creatively bankrupt course of action.