Ultima Founding DIY Chapter

I'm going to be getting some Primaris, but I've run into a snag. I know I want them to be solid silver with any eagles/wings gold, possibly black shoulders but still trimmed silver. Fluff for them is they are descended from Rogal Dorn, and called the Knights of Dorn. The badge I would want gold, but I am having trouble deciding if I want to go with a golden Maltese Cross or an Eagle, likely single-headed to basically represent Dorn, instead of the official Imperial Aquila.

I know they exist, but officially they only exist as a one-off in "How to Paint Space Marines" in 2004, that tiny bit of other info and pictures of them are fandom. TBH I don't trust that site because it does not clearly distinguish canon from fandom, and I have found numerous errors and mislabels...getting myself back on track, It could be looked at as a needed update similar to that Rogue Trader yellow with black squiggles Salamander scheme.

I know they exist, but officially they only exist as a one-off in "How to Paint Space Marines" in 2004, that tiny bit of other info and pictures of them are fandom. TBH I don't trust that site because it does not clearly distinguish canon from fandom, and I have found numerous errors and mislabels...getting myself back on track, It could be looked at as a needed update similar to that Rogue Trader yellow with black squiggles Salamander scheme.

That works.  Plus there are only so many ways you can combine "Emperor's," "Imperial," "Knights," etc., before you run out, so there's bound to be some repetition throughout the history of the Imperium.  I think the Emperor's Swords are one example there.

I was also thinking trying actual chrome, not just the usual GW style silver, other inspiration were Grey-Knights and Knights-Errant. I was also thinking about using FW Nathanial Garro for the Chapter Master, shouldn't take much modification to make it look like Primaris armor, I think the reinforced ankle joint and MK X Backpack may do the trick, can't really do the kneeplate's raised guard with those MK XI knee/legs.

I was also thinking trying actual chrome, not just the usual GW style silver, other inspiration were Grey-Knights and Knights-Errant. I was also thinking about using FW Nathanial Garro for the Chapter Master, shouldn't take much modification to make it look like Primaris armor, I think the reinforced ankle joint and MK X Backpack may do the trick, can't really do the kneeplate's raised guard with those MK XI knee/legs.

Just a heads up, if you're looking for a good shiny chrome base, krylon makes a "Brilliant Aluminum" that looks like super shiny chrome!

Highly suggest you look at Turbo Dork paints if you are into painting with metallic paints. They have a gorgeous line of metallic and color shifting paints.

If they ever make Primaris Grey Knights that’s the route I’ll go.

I’d like to see how shiny they get

Medieval knights made sure not to put silver and gold or white and yellow next to each other, because at a distance it’s hard to tell the difference and they needed their heraldry to tell each other part from far away. You might not need to worry about that.

Here’s a thread on someone’s knight-marines I saw today.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/774993.page#10687604

• 3 weeks later...

I'd either go with Chrome and Yellow or Grey and Gold.

I find having 2 metallic tones as your main scheme tends to not look as good.

Rik

Also one of the rules of heraldry: you could use yellow/gold or white/silver but not together.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a combo Lore/Conversion question. I know generally with models and conversion follow WYSIWYG and "your models, go for it", but Lore-Wise, how much customization would there really be for Primaris? Looking at the "upgrade" spruces there are, it is a lot less. It looks like all the Primaris ones are literally Chapter specific icons just slapped on over the standard Primaris armor, no actual unique chests or helms, like the normal BE muscle torso or SW wolf helm in the normal Upgrade packs. Think it's a big deal if I do extra conversions or modifications?