Ranged or Close Combat?

Hail followers for the true gods, I am currently in the process of creating a Company of Misery force and I am having a problem as to whether or not to have my CSM squads close combat based or ranged? 

Any tips/advice from the experts of this forum would be much appreciated :happy.:

My preferred CSM configuration is 3 squads of 5 with lascannon. It's a cheap mandatory battalion troop tax that can hold backfield objectives and sometimes do quite a bit of damage in a game.

I sometimes run squads of 10 CSM with 2 lascannons. In this configuration they benefit from Endless Cacophony and are far more durable than a similarly costed lascannon Havoc Squad. And with 2 heavy weapons they start to put out some respectable hurt over the course of a game. In this role they also remind me of the old Chaos Veterans of the old 3rd Edition Codex.

If you want combat CSM, it's best to run a Legion/trait that can improve them in combat (I run EC for Slaanesh) to get more mileage. Even so, not a great idea for a more competitive game so it depends on your meta. They can do well enough in casual games, especially against the right opponents but otherwise you'd be better off giving them a ranged focus. With their bolter volleys and heavy weapons they can do decent work :smile.:

Many thanks for the advice fellow chaos followers :smile.: I had a feeling that this was gonna be the case but I appreciate the feedback, it`s a good job I haven`t built them yet :happy.:

Apologies for the double post, but I`m assuming heavy weapon wise, lascannons are the best option? :smile.:

Depends on what you need, as ever! Lascannons are good for long ranged heavy fire power, something CSM are usually in need of. Does make them a bit pricier accordingly however. Missile Launchers have some versatility but anti-personnel needs rest on the other parts of your army also, the option is nice though if you're not sure about dedicating.

Chainsword and bolt pistol marines are quite good in big units but they need buffs. I've had a unit of 15 black legion ones with soulrender portent from a dark apostle and the black legion +1 attack stratagem butcher quite a few first turn chargers that under-estimated them.

Berzerkers need rhinos, but only need buffs to hurt stuff they're bad at.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I dont know of anyone who uses melee CSM, unless they're trying to use their Shadowspear models that can only be assembled that way.

Spare bolters + cutting off the pistol corrects the issue, time consuming though.

I think that, unfortunately, you have to cut off the chainsword (it’s pistol & bolter or pistol & chainsword, right?)

I dont know of anyone who uses melee CSM, unless they're trying to use their Shadowspear models that can only be assembled that way.

Spare bolters + cutting off the pistol corrects the issue, time consuming though.

I think that, unfortunately, you have to cut off the chainsword (it’s pistol & bolter or pistol & chainsword, right?)

If everyone has a bolter it won't really matter if you use them as a bolter squad. I have modeled CSM like that since forever and no one has ever cared after they saw my list. Plus it looks cool.

My $0.02.

CSM are for shooting, Cultists are for close combat.

Take 5 or 10 man squads with as many heavy weapons as possible. Word is out on the best heavy weapon for CSMs.

There's a thread about the merits of Chaincannons versus NuMarines. I don't have a link, but it's worth reading. I'm still thinking about it, but the argument was 8 shots at 24" outclasses Intercessors, even with doctrines.

I run a Black Legion gunline, nothing is better than 48" lascannons with rerolls to hit. I would take them over Havocs in most cases because of the ablative wounds.

The other option is autocannons, they can be useful but you mostly take them for the points. Lascannons are more expensive, you really need to commit to them to see much value. Autocannons, OTOH, are good for light work.

I would only consider taking CCW Marines in specific circumstances, such as if someone if playing mono-Slaanesh like Flawless Host or Emperor's Children and doesn't have access to Berzerkers.

Otherwise, ranged is better than CCW.

A big squad of 20 close combat csm using red corsairs works well, because you can warp time them move twice advance and charge so they have to be dealt with. Then you just use the strat that bring them back next turn and do it again. It forces your opponent to prioritise wiping them out rather then whatever he wanted too. Give them the mark of khorne and you can use the strat that allows then to fight twice, not bezerkers but pretty good