The Defence of Ryza

Somebody please explain what happened with

the city of Prosperity and how it's related to the Abominable Intleligence from the Ashkhelon?

Something that I just remembered when re-reading this section is that the joint Mechanicum-S[ace Wolves taskforce at Ashkhelon initially found no enemy or human corpses either, because the AI had taken the human corpses and neatly stored them in the caverns below the city. No corpses of either side were found in Prosperity either, so with the note deliberately pointing to Ashkhelon it's possible that the traitors used a warp-fused version of a similar AI, even though in this case the corpses were never recovered.

I like it when mysteries like that are canonically left unexplained, makes the setting feel more like myth and less like an engineer's tale. GW used to be good in that.

Unrelatedly, the mission set in this one is looking pretty fun. The assaults on the Crucius' fortress and their final hurrah on the Salvation Isthmus look like absolute bloodbaths and the desperation in the charge on Endeavour is palpable. I'm looking forward to getting those on the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Ursus claw and Shock lance are going up for preorder on Friday. They’re in the video on the Sunday preview article on WHC, but not in the article itself.

I don’t really rate them but I expect this will be of interest to some. I’ll probably grab a couple for completeness sake.

• 7 months later...

Any mention of the Rapier or other non released Titan classes?

No, sadly. In the campaign narrative, when the vaults of Ryza are opened, there's a mention of some titans in Crucius livery that were even bigger than Warlords and of an unknown make but the text emphasises that it's all wrapped up in rumour/personal accounts. There's also note that after the war the Ryzan magi sought to dismiss a lot of this kind of thing as fantasy. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's even more vague than usual.

Interesting to be reading this thread because of the supplement and see this reference, now that the Warmaster Titans have just been revealed. 

When Defence of Ryza came out the writers surely knew the Warmaster was coming out soonish so that may have been what they referred to here.

Edited by Taliesin

Any mention of the Rapier or other non released Titan classes?

No, sadly. In the campaign narrative, when the vaults of Ryza are opened, there's a mention of some titans in Crucius livery that were even bigger than Warlords and of an unknown make but the text emphasises that it's all wrapped up in rumour/personal accounts. There's also note that after the war the Ryzan magi sought to dismiss a lot of this kind of thing as fantasy. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's even more vague than usual.

Interesting to be reading this thread because of the supplement and see this reference, now that the Warmaster Titans have just been revealed. 

When Defence of Ryza came out the writers surely knew the Warmaster was coming out soonish so that may have been what they referred to here.

This is the great thing about deliberately vague fluff. Whether or not they were talking about Warmasters, we can imagine that they might have been.

Actually though, titans bigger than Warlords have always been a thing. Warlords, Reavers and Warhounds are the most common titan classes, but in the fluff there has never been a limit on how many other types of titan there are out there. GW is free to keep inventing more of them for as long as they want.