The Defence of Ryza

Hey guys just a quick fluff query as I've only just recently got into AT.

Are those upcoming knights built for anti-armor/infantry scenarios or are they just used against other knights? 

Check out the 40K-scale versions on the Forgeworld site. They have background blurbs there that should set you straight.

Thanks guys. After reading some more background, I wish GW would release epic at some point.

Here's my thinking; first titans, then aircraft, next up Epic:Tallarn - Massive armored combat in the Horus Heresy! Oh, to dream.

I mean, I have a squadron of epic fell blades that I’m going to run as a questoris knight banner. I’d love to expand it out to a full on Tank company and have it as a “Knight Lance” but I don’t have the models for it

I'd love to see Ordinatus and super heavy tanks/vehicles... but I'm not that interested in light vehicles and infantry. I like the way infantry is addressed with the Titan Hunter stratagem... I think the danger of adding Infantry is that in order for them to feel like they are worth using, their 'value' in the game is inflated/over-represented, and they take the focus away from big ol' robots.

Back ON topic, and by far the most pressing question: will the spine printing and graphics match ANY of the others, or will this be YET ANOTHER variation?! 

Granted, it might be more pressing to me than others. :teehee:

Edited by ForceCommander

This expansion for Adeptus Titanicus will see one of the Imperium’s foremost forge worlds under siege as the Dark Mechanicum moves to capture this vital industrial hub, second only to Mars in power and prominence. Their main goal is the knowledge of plasma weapons and engines that Ryza holds, for with this information, coupled with the daemonic pacts of the traitor Tech-Priests, Horus’ power could be unmatched.

The book contains loads of information about Ryza and the war to control it, as well as six narrative missions that recreate key clashes from this fierce conflict. We’re sure that what you really want to know, though, is about the Titans… Like every Adeptus Titanicus expansion before it, The Defence of Ryza details a variety of Titan Legions that fought in the campaign, each with their own rules and heraldry.

f5551178.jpg

f8546237.jpg

34fdb791.jpg

There are three Legions detailed for each side. The Loyalists are bolstered by the Legio Honorum and Legio Osedax, while the Legio Magna and Legio Vulturum march for Horus and the Dark Mechanicum. The rules for Legio Crucius and Legio Mortis are also reprinted here, as both have a part to play in the battle for Ryza.

All of them have a mix of Legio Traits, Stratagems and Wargear that will help you to defend or conquer Ryza, all while playing in a way that reflects the character of your Legion. 

A Princeps Seniores of Legio Honorum can sit in a Basilius Throne, improving a maniple’s ability to use the same Order across multiple Titans. This represents the Death Bolts’ penchant for fighting as a close-knit unit and passing information between princeps through their command thrones.

a12ad614.jpg

Conversely, the traitors of Legio Magna, who were among the first Titan Legions to fall to Chaos, can make it harder for enemy engines to pass Command checks by broadcasting the horrifying shrieks of their home world’s fire spirits.

c53c312f.jpg

If you like taking big risks for big rewards, check out Legio Vulturum’s Storm Frag shells. These upgrade vulcan mega-bolters with the Maximal Fire trait, letting you give each of your many shots +2 Strength with just a tiny chance of overheating your reactor and slightly blowing up.

c9219ec1.jpg

The Defence of Ryza also expands on rules first published in White Dwarf that allow you to create your own Titan Legion, complete with a choice of Traits, Stratagems and Wargear that you can use to customise the way your battlegroup plays.

Perhaps the Tech-Priests attached to your Titans are particularly adept Adepts, who can keep your engines walking under the heaviest of fire.

f6010ae5.jpg

As well as choosing your rules, you can declare allegiance to the Emperor or Horus – or forge your own destiny as a Blackshield, eschewing both sides and fighting for freedom, for survival, or to carve out an empire of your own. Each of these three allegiances comes with its own associated custom traits, giving you even more thematic options. Blackshield, for example, can walk The Path to Ascension.

d4475c49.jpg

16 different Traits are joined by 15 Stratagems and 21 Wargear choices. You can choose four of these rules, with a maximum of two from each category, giving you countless customisation possibilities. A characterful option for a Titan Legion allied with Ryza might include the Plasma Rifling and Reactor Fetters wargear, along with Elite Magos and another Trait or Stratagem of your choice.

d4f20f0c.jpg 6bdef14f.jpg

This is just scratching the surface of what you can expect in The Defence of Ryza. As well as all the Titans, you’ll find new maniples, rules for Knight Allegiances, Battle Standards, additional Houses and new Stratagems. Keep an eye out for more previews soon.

Wow, Legio Magna got sober and found religion. Good for them! That orange transition is still hot, though.

Some seriously classy loyalist schemes, too. Strange that we're still not seeing Metalica or Ignatum. I don't want to get expectations up but maybe there's a 3rd supplement coming by the end of the year?

Crucius and Mortis reappearing could imply they're coming with some light extras? I'm thinking specifically about the Legio Mortis Reaper maniple that was mentioned in the Titandeath supplement (or the rulebook? it's been a while). I think Crucius is a shoe-in for transfers now, too, if they weren't before. Hopefully they each get a few new color plates, at least.

You'll be able to come up with your own rules for Metalica and Ignatum using the content of this book. Not the ideal situation but it should tide you over until those two Titan Legions get their turn in the limelight. :tu:

Blackshield legions hell yeah. Cool concept, though even more than astartes blackshields there's no way they survived the scouring. No big surprise about the DIY legion rules coming back.

The heraldry for Osedax is cool and looks near-impossible to freehand.

Blackshield legions hell yeah. Cool concept, though even more than astartes blackshields there's no way they survived the scouring. No big surprise about the DIY legion rules coming back.

So this was interesting to me, I hope some of the rules were tamed down but it looks like the pick-your-own rule structure remains similar.  I wonder how many of them will be auto-includes. :ermm:

I think Castigators and Archerons are it for now, I don’t see how either of them is any better than a lancer and I’ve already converted mine anyway because they waited a year to make the model. Some Mechanicum crawlers and vehicles would be cool though.

I mean, the cover features Mechanicum Knights, so I'd imagine they'd appear as models eventually.

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love the Magaera or Styrix pattern Questoris knights and the Atrapos sounds really fun with a freakin lightsaber!  I haven't decided if my knight household is going to be Imperial, Mechanicum, or kinda independent yet so I'll probably paint their armor before deciding on icons.  I had some blacked out Questoris assassin knights planned so maybe these guys would fit into that theme.  I could kitbash or 3d print the weapons but their armor is pretty specific looking, I certainly hope we see them soon but would they do two knight kits in one release (not counting the Atrapos)?  

The DIY Legio rules coming back is very important to me, as I love making my own fluff for the game. As tend to make my choices narrative, as opposed to min-maxing, I'm not the one who's breaking the game. On the other hand, I understand that others don't have the same priorities, and they really need to be well balanced.

..and I'm very curious about Blackshield Legios - are they one-Forge-World wonders, or something else?

Very excited for this one I must say, after seeing Legio Osedax with the DA in the Lion primarch novel, and now getting rules.

I had been waiting to find out what Titan legion(s) accompanied the Dark Angels in order to plan for linked campaigns of Titanicus and 30k. Seems I can finally start properly planning a legio force once I see what Osedax's shtick is.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Actually I can see Loyalist Titans from Traitor Legios being absorbed by the Mechanicum / Loyalist Legios more easily and being accepted better than Astartes.

And yes, we absolutely need the Atrapos. The Mageara and Styrix could be a lot of fun, if only for variety.

Edited by DuskRaider