Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1k BA List - Returning player looking for feedback

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Slyfox1990

Slyfox1990

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts

As per title, I'm getting back into the game and looking to pull a list together to get back into the swing of things. I'm not expecting to/intending to have something which is competitively perfect but if people can point out obvious glaring issues and advise a little that would be awesome.

I haven't really gotten my head around some of the 8e changes so forgive me if there are obvious missing issues.

List below for feedback:

HQs:

143 - Captain - Angel's Wing, Thunder Hammer, Stormshield (Warlord)

100 - Lemartes 

154 - Librarian Dreadnought - Meltagun, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius

Troops:

100 - 5 Intercessors, Powerfist sarge, Autobolt rifles

55 - 5 Scouts, Boltgun + CCW sarge, 4 x BP + CCW

65 - 5 Scouts, Boltgun + CCW sarge, 3 x Boltguns, 1 x Heavy bolter

Elites:

198 - 9 Death Company, 2 x Thunder hammer, 1x Power sword + bolter, 6 x Boltgun + Chainsword

184 - 8 Death Company w/ Jump packs, 2 x Thunder hammer, 2 x Power sword + Bolter, 4 x Boltgun + Chainsword

Total: 999 points

As noted above. All feedback welcome and do please let me know if I've made any stupid errors.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
Your points are a bit off. Intercessors with that load out are +6 points.

Personally I would make the Libby Dread the warlord and the smash captain just be a missile. Smash captain's usually don't live very long so they give up StWL fairly easy.

I personally don't like heavy bolter on the scouts, or scouts for real in this edition, but your list is fine other than your intercessors being off by 6 points.
  • Slyfox1990 likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Capitano

Capitano

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 946 posts
  • Faction: 96th Company Night Lords
The scouts are fine for sitting on objectives in the back field, but I prefer sniper action but that is just my play style.

The smash captain I would not make warlord for the reason above I have and he is usually dead second turn he comes in...

The libby dread would be a better choice in that respect

The double death company is a nice touch
  • Slyfox1990 likes this

“I’ll be there in seven minutes. Eight if there’s resistance. Nine if the resistance is carrying bolters.”

ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03D_Custos_Fidei.jpgETL_2015_Banner_02_Oathbreaker.jpg

Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I agree with both of the above with making the Libby Dread the warlord. Give him Soulwarden for his trait and the Biomantic Sarcophagus to make his powers mostly go off without a hitch. Drop the meltagun from him, you will likely get 2-3 opportunities to shoot it each game, but I would suggest the storm bolter as its cheap and cranks out 4 shots a turn.

Combine the Death Company into one big blob of 15, and drop the power swords. I find them to be most effective when run either with the hammer or gaining the extra attack from the chainsword. Chainsword and bolter is a super strong combo, especially in a big blob. 5 DC with hammers and 10 with bolter/chainswords supported by Lemartes is a hammer few can resist. The benefit of the large blob over the two comes into play with strategems like Transhuman or Hammer of Wrath or Forlorn Fury.

• Slyfox1990 likes this

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

Slyfox1990

Slyfox1990

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts

Personally I would make the Libby Dread the warlord and the smash captain just be a missile. Smash captain's usually don't live very long so they give up StWL fairly easy.

I personally don't like heavy bolter on the scouts, or scouts for real in this edition, but your list is fine other than your intercessors being off by 6 points.

Thanks for the feedback. I think scouts are going to be one of those things I just have to play with to understand how much or little I like them so that I can tweak. It seems mostly like they are popular simply because they fill slots cheaply and potentially can dish a little pain out if the stars align. 

I'm struggling a little to work out where I've gone wrong on points for the intercessors. Obviously can't specify the values in detail here but I have it as 85 + 1 + 5 + 9 = 100 but happy to accept that I'm missing something obvious!

The scouts are fine for sitting on objectives in the back field, but I prefer sniper action but that is just my play style.

The smash captain I would not make warlord for the reason above I have and he is usually dead second turn he comes in...

Definitely need to try the scouts out and see how I get on with them. I happen to have the models now to do bolters and bp + ccw so that's a start but will try snipers too at some point I'm sure. Changing warlord seems to be a common view so I'll certainly try that out. 

I agree with both of the above with making the Libby Dread the warlord. Give him Soulwarden for his trait and the Biomantic Sarcophagus to make his powers mostly go off without a hitch. Drop the meltagun from him, you will likely get 2-3 opportunities to shoot it each game, but I would suggest the storm bolter as its cheap and cranks out 4 shots a turn.

Combine the Death Company into one big blob of 15, and drop the power swords. I find them to be most effective when run either with the hammer or gaining the extra attack from the chainsword. Chainsword and bolter is a super strong combo, especially in a big blob. 5 DC with hammers and 10 with bolter/chainswords supported by Lemartes is a hammer few can resist. The benefit of the large blob over the two comes into play with strategems like Transhuman or Hammer of Wrath or Forlorn Fury.

Cheers for the detailed advice - really appreciated. I'll have a look at the librarian in more detail to understand how I can use him best. I can probably magnetise the arms for the weapons so I can try both.

If my maths is correct (which is highly questionable) combining the size of the DC squad and merging it would free me up enough points to add another intercessor squad which is an interesting thing to consider (although that would be with 3 TH and 12 bolter/chainsword). Will take a look at those stratagems to understand it all better.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
You're right. Sorry I was thinking Thunder Hammer not Power Fist. List is good to go.
  • Slyfox1990 likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

Thanks for the feedback. I think scouts are going to be one of those things I just have to play with to understand how much or little I like them so that I can tweak. It seems mostly like they are popular simply because they fill slots cheaply and potentially can dish a little pain out if the stars align. 

I'm struggling a little to work out where I've gone wrong on points for the intercessors. Obviously can't specify the values in detail here but I have it as 85 + 1 + 5 + 9 = 100 but happy to accept that I'm missing something obvious!

Definitely need to try the scouts out and see how I get on with them. I happen to have the models now to do bolters and bp + ccw so that's a start but will try snipers too at some point I'm sure. Changing warlord seems to be a common view so I'll certainly try that out. 

Cheers for the detailed advice - really appreciated. I'll have a look at the librarian in more detail to understand how I can use him best. I can probably magnetise the arms for the weapons so I can try both.

If my maths is correct (which is highly questionable) combining the size of the DC squad and merging it would free me up enough points to add another intercessor squad which is an interesting thing to consider (although that would be with 3 TH and 12 bolter/chainsword). Will take a look at those stratagems to understand it all better.

I hadn't done the math, but if combining your DC into a unit like that gives you another Intercessor squad its an extra win. Even if it is a basic squad of 5, that becomes an extremely potent objective controlling unit. Without doing the points again, you will then have two units of Intercessors and two units of Scouts. You need either 3 or 6 Troops units to run either a Single or a Dual Battalion, that is the optimal Troops tax. So since you will be at 4, I would see about cutting the two scout squads for a unit of Infiltrators. They have an awesome Deep Strike Deny bubble, perform the same board control as scouts but are much more resilient and crank out more firepower.

• Slyfox1990 likes this

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

Slyfox1990

Slyfox1990

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts

I hadn't done the math, but if combining your DC into a unit like that gives you another Intercessor squad its an extra win. Even if it is a basic squad of 5, that becomes an extremely potent objective controlling unit. Without doing the points again, you will then have two units of Intercessors and two units of Scouts. You need either 3 or 6 Troops units to run either a Single or a Dual Battalion, that is the optimal Troops tax. So since you will be at 4, I would see about cutting the two scout squads for a unit of Infiltrators. They have an awesome Deep Strike Deny bubble, perform the same board control as scouts but are much more resilient and crank out more firepower.

Dropping out a few bits (meltagun on Libby dread, a couple of DC, weapons etc gave me quite a few points overall) so it meant I could tweak things a little. The list I could do would be as follows with your suggestions:

HQs:

143 - Captain - JP, Thunder Hammer, Stormshield 

100 - Lemartes 

142 - Librarian Dreadnought - Storm bolter, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius (Warlord) - Biomantic Sacrophagus, 

Troops:

100 - 5 Intercessors, Powerfist sarge, Autobolt rifles, Aux grenade launcher

86 - 5 Intercessors, Bolt rifles, Aux grenade launcher

110 - 5 Infiltrators

Elites:

318 - 15 Death Company, 3 x Thunder hammer, 12 x Boltgun + Chainsword

Edited by Slyfox1990, 12 March 2020 - 09:06 AM.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

Dropping out a few bits (meltagun on Libby dread, a couple of DC, weapons etc gave me quite a few points overall) so it meant I could tweak things a little. The list I could do would be as follows with your suggestions:

HQs:

143 - Captain - JP, Thunder Hammer, Stormshield 

100 - Lemartes 

142 - Librarian Dreadnought - Storm bolter, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius (Warlord) - Biomantic Sacrophagus, 

Troops:

100 - 5 Intercessors, Powerfist sarge, Autobolt rifles, Aux grenade launcher

86 - 5 Intercessors, Bolt rifles, Aux grenade launcher

110 - 5 Infiltrators

Elites:

318 - 15 Death Company, 3 x Thunder hammer, 12 x Boltgun + Chainsword

For 1,000 points, this list is a sledgehammer. Nice work fitting it all in. The very small portion of your enemie's army that survives the initial hit from the Death Company/Captain/Librarian strike likely wont have enough gas in the tank to deal with the Primaris Marines. Enjoy playing it and make sure to let us know how it does!

• Slyfox1990 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users