Adeptus Mechanicus model breakage

Ichar

I have had a lot of breakage with my AdMech models. Antenna, accessories, and small thin bits. Is this common? I am very careful to be gentle with these models, but it is really hard to prevent the pieces from breaking. Does anyone have any hints or methods for keeping the models whole? I have thought about replacing antennae with thin rod and making mods like this, but didn’t know if that would be feasible or effective. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh its perfectly normal.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

We have a lot of ultra thin tentacles cables and censers not to mention the fabled servo skulls. I just use plastic glue and hold it in place for well over a minute trying not to snap it again when I release the pressure. My daughters knocked the table and broke about 3 Vanguards and a Enginseers worth of spindlies.

Similar problem with Primaris Infiltrators, but you might not like the solution.

With my squad of Infiltrators, I just cut off all the antennae once the first few started to break on me. They look fine, and it's a lot harder to break.

Yeah, same here.

After losing antenna after antenna with the Skitarii, I prefer to just cut them off where they get spindly. And just leave off mechadendrites or shorten them to the point where they don't extend beyond the more solid limbs.

The clearest case was with Cawl's servo skull on the back, that reattaches a cable. That cable already broke off when removing the mold lines - no way I'll glue that to the model and see it break off every other day.

to date:

cables and ariels on the dragoons

swords/knives on sicarians ariels and infiltrators

cables on vanguard (strangley not rangers)

servo skulls on engineseers

and there was a bad day when the cat jumped in my army tray just before a game

my tip is keep all your spare bits and embrace your inner tech priest with the art of triage and battlefieldn repair

hope this helps

Oh I have a sack of broken antennae! Dragoons in particular.

Then when I built my Skorpius' I shortened the antenna thingy on the back. Going forward I'm just modeling the army with shorter bits of that nature.

What really worries me is the new stuff. So much of it looks so delicate, and those wretched flying stands are bound to force me to pin models.

I'm still building my AdMech (in the final stretch) and even without taking the models out of the damn house to play a game I couldn't help but snap off several delicate bits. It really is an 'advanced' army to build, paint, transport, and use. Even when I'm consciously trying to be careful and avoid breaking bits it still happens. I really don't have a problem with reasonably delicate models but there are some very poor design decisions that were made with some of these details that are all-but guaranteed to break off with the slightest pressure.

Carefully sand/file the edge of the bit that's broken off, drill a small 'snug' hole where it broke away, and use a tiny touch of extra-thin solvent glue to reattach the bit; if you use it carefully the solvent will evaporate quickly enough that the paint job won't be harmed or it will just need a tiny touch-up. From what I can tell, bits are about as strong after doing this as they are before breaking. If it breaks off again, repeat the process and eventually it will shorten down to a length that will be less prone to breaking, in theory.