The future of Kill Team: a speculative discussion

Dosjetka

No, nothing new to report since the rumours of 2nd Edition later this year.

I think some feel that the rumours the starter set is Krieg v Kommandos has been given some credence by the shot in the Warhammer animation preview featuring an Ork hoisting up a Krieg guardsman; it seems like it could be from the 'trailer' that could go with it, seeing as it's similar style to the one that accompanied the 9th Ed 40k announcement, and that preview also contained shots of the Age of Sigmar 3rd Ed trailer - a week or so before that was officially unveiled..!

Cheers for the reply. Bit annoying still waiting for some KT goodies after all this time.

Also need Inquisitors in KT. Perfect setting for it.

Edited by Sete

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't Krieg vs Orks be a pretty bizarre kill team set up? If one thing unites the two factions its that they field hordes of infantry, not small units - though I guess they would from time to time.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if GW was to release both these units in another KT box, at least initially. Got to keep those scalpers in business, after all.

I guess that depends on how you choose to view games of Kill Team.

Off the top of my head, there are two ways this can be done:

Either your teams are in an actual small-scale commando type operation, or you're just seeing a small scene from a larger battle; think of fog of war.

Orks and Krieg may use larger forces in general, but if, for example, they were fighting to secure a warehouse, charging in with hordes wouldn't exactly be the way to go.

Keeping scalpers in business, good one. :D

Judging by the fact the preview image in WarCom has a) the same font as Kill Team, and b ) a Krieg soldier in the back ground, it is looking likely* that next Saturday's (10th) preview could potentially unveil the much rumoured Kill Team 2nd Edition set:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/04/another-massive-warhammer-preview-online-is-coming-and-its-mighty-fighty-and-green/

*based on the long held rumours that the set would include plastic Krieg and Ork Kommandoz, a rumour given credence by reliable sources such as Chapter Master Valrak :)

Edited by firestorm40k

There was also a recent article on "how to a guy kitbashed his way to the perfect killteam": https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/01/binoculars-loads-of-pouches-and-trophy-fingers-how-one-hobbyist-kitbashed-their-way-to-the-perfect-kill-team/, which makes me hopeful you are correct.

Any rumours as to what terrain will be in it?  That is probably the deciding factor for me as to whether I buy it.

I've seen some complaints on KT being too large now. Maybe too complicated? If someone feels this way here can you explain what you mean by this?

too many units now? Too many points? most people seem to play 125 or 100

Well, kill team was 100 points at the beginning, so I don't think its that, though it may be fair that some people feel that 125 points upsets that balance.  Certainly, with my Militarum killteam, I wouldn't want an increase to 125 at the beginning of the campaign (at least not without other rule changes, like an expansion of the starting roster limitation to 12 models) as it would force me to field many more Tempestus than I would otherwise.

More, I suspect, is that KT introduces too many options - while originally KT felt like a pared down and sped up version of 40K with each side having a very limited number of choices, the broadening of KT has undone some of that simplicity.  Additionally, it may be felt that whatever balance might have been achieved between factions in the original KT has been upset by the expanded options available.

That said, given that each person who complains likely has their own reasons for doing so, it is probably better to ask the actual complainer why they feel the way they do.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...

Well seems the future is looking good! Having Krieg and Orks is a popular option, and I hope we see more of these units and sprues in the future.

The ruleset will make the future bright

The models are just the icing on the cake

If the cake is made of mud the icing could be swiss chocolate but the cake is still terrible

Right now i have mixed feelings about the new rules. Some good things mixed with poor choices make not a good ruleset for me