Spectral Swords [WIP]

I am coming back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus to raise my son.  He is older now and is showing interest in Tau.  I've always wanted a Space Marine army, but I played Warhammer Fantasy a long time ago, and that was where my money went.

I recently stumbled upon the Primaris Space Marines, and I really enjoy their look.  I was originally leaning towards a Blood Ravens army, but then I read about the Ultima Founding and decided a hombrew Ultima Founding was what I wanted to focus on.

My primary opponents are: Chaos, Tyranids, Tau, Death Guard, and Genestealer Cults

Enough background, here we go:

Chapter Name: Spectral Swords
Chapter Symbol: aqUROUz.jpg
Successor Of: Ultramarines

Standard Marine:

txMVDRL.jpg

Sergeant: 

nehfWdq.jpg
Veteran:

31bk4Pk.jpg
Anyways, on to the history.

The Spectral Swords were formed during the Ultima Founding. They served with the 8th fleet during the Indomitus Crusade. They had a specialization in urban warfare and were deployed to fight Chaos in the cities of men. In the early conflicts, they lost a lot of their Repulsor Vehicles to Chaos ambushes. Their tactics shifted as a result of the crusade. Vanguard units and Invictor Tactical Suits take up concealed positions around key objectives or advantageous terrain. Intercessors and Agressors support the Vanguard and hold the line where needed. Grav chute deployment from Reivers, Suppressors, and Inceptors cut off escape routes and target key enemy units. The chapter rarely deploys Repulsor Vehicles, and does not have a large stable of Redemptor Dreadnaughts.

When the Indomitus Crusade dispersed, the Spectral Swords were deployed to Ahiri-8, a Hive World near the edge of the Rift. They inhabited an abandoned Monastery of a Chapter that fell in battle, known as the Tempest Jackals. Upon arrival, Guard forces were currently engaged in a conflict with a local Genestealer Cult. The Spectral Swords quickly deployed and drove off the threat. They began the process of claiming the Monastery as their own, but soon a splinter fleet believed to be of Leviathan was located in a nearby system. The Spectral Swords launched an assault force to attempt to drive it off.

Edited by RiftSentinels

If you're looking to avoid the colors your son is using, but also don't want white, a simple compromise that will go with pretty much any color is gray. Metallic colors could also be really striking. I've never tried anything like this myself, but you might also be able to pull off using a couple of different shades of red. Looks like you're off to a solid start, though. Are there other aspects about the chapter's background you're looking to explore, or is it all still kind of under construction?

Im mostly looking for help with color scheme for now. It feels like every scheme possible has been taken some times. I'd like a sharp looking group of Marines. I also feel an Ultima Founding wouldnt have a storied history like the First Founding Chapters, so I kept the background quick and light and based on my primary opponents.

You could take the basic colors you like and test them on the Space Marine Painter and play with different combinations and patterns. Once you've settled on basic colors and a pattern you can play with the color hues. 

The Chapter symbol looks great. As for Chapter colors, may I suggest a dark red, like coagulating blood (see the Flesh Tearers for comparison)- alternately, a dark indigo?

By the way, the Tempest Jackals fell in battle, NOT to Chaos corruption, right? It will make the Inquisition and a LOT of other people very nervous, if the Rift Sentinels claim a Renegade or Chaos Chapter's fortress-monastery.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Nice Lore so far.

I would suggest Ultra Marine Succesor. Guillaume thightend the Defence of Ultramar. Which sufferd through the Great Rift and Plauge War.

Great Place to settled down. Your Favoured Enemies are also present.

As the Chapter is of the Ultima Founding, I doubt it will be of "unknown descent"- Guilliman certainly wouldn't tolerate such ambiguity, as indicated when he said, "No!" in reply to Cawl's proposal to use geneseed from the Missing Two Legions as well as the Traitor Legions.

Best have the Rift Sentinels claim they are an Ultramarines descendant. You are free to have the Chapter use non-Ultramarines Chapter Tactics and Warlord Traits, and have third parties (Inquisitors, Marines from other Chapters, and other Imperial allies) note how "un-Ultramarine" the Rift Sentinels act, though.

A couple more color schemes. I like the grey/red one. Sgts would have a full red helmet.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hB889_heD82.hu5BY____@__hsSwZ@.@@..@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@h3jnLh3jnL@@@@__@@@____.i8Wpv&

Also, a bit of Bretonia(this was the Indigo attempt)...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hB889_hu5BY.h5vwH@@@@@@@hsSwZ@_@@__@@@@@@@@@@@....@@@@@@@@@@h3jnLh3jnL@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iakk7&

Edited by RiftSentinels

I think the first pattern for livery looks best. The indigo is a little too bright and clashes with the dark red (I like the dark red:thumbsup:). 

What hex code did you use for the red? ….. also hex code for the winged skull (that's a good color choice too)?

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Okay, I put together the following now:

Regular Marine:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hB889_heD82.hu5BY____@__hsSwZ_.@@..@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@.h3jnL@@@@__@@_____.i8Wpv&

Sergeant:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hB889_heD82.hu5BY____@@@hsSwZ@.@@..@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@.h3jnL@@@@@@@@@____.i8Wpv&

Captain/LT

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hB889_heD82.iaiZd____@..hsSwZ.hu5BY@@hu5BYhu5BY@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@hu5BYh3jnL@@@@..@@.____hu5BYi8Wpv&

Time to go sacrifice another Tactical Marine for the Primaris paint scheme.

I was playing with the colors of the first image a little and came up with this as an alternative with a little more color, but complementing the red...… just a thought:happy.:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?bpe=01233c&bpj=333131&bp=01233c&bpc=01233c&hdt=01233c&hdm=01233c&hdl=01233c&ey=1aff00&er=800101&pip=333131&nk=800101&ch=800101&eg=666666&sk=666666&abs=800101&bt=800101&cod=800101&ull=800101&lk=800101&lll=800101&lft=800101&url=800101&rk=800101&lrl=800101&rft=800101&slt=01233c&sli=01233c&srt=01233c&sri=01233c&ula=800101&lel=800101&lla=800101&lw=800101&lh=800101&ura=800101&rel=800101&rla=800101&rw=800101&rh=800101&gr=333131&rb=333131&nkl=800101&chestl=800101&abdl=800101&hdtl=01233c&hdml=01233c&hdll=01233c&btl=800101&codl=800101&erl=800101&bpl=01233c&bpjl=333131&bpel=01233c&bpcl=01233c&abdc=333131&bg=FFFFFF&grid=TRUE

Yours of course, is very good:yes: