Thinking of getting into the Custodes

Bikes have been all the rage for a while but have been out of fashion again for a time now, as far as I understand it. Mind you, I haven't played my Custodes in the last year. 

But lots of bodies on the ground is not a bad choice at all and a solid core for any further plans.

I think some FW Custodes Vehicles suffer from not having other, more ubiquitous, models to compare their size to because theyre, quite literally, giant resin bricks for the most part.

maxresdefault.jpgCaladius vs Repulsor

coronus-Copy.jpgCoronus vs Repulsor & Rhino

I think some FW Custodes Vehicles suffer from not having other, more ubiquitous, models to compare their size to because theyre, quite literally, giant resin bricks for the most part.

maxresdefault.jpgCaladius vs Repulsor

coronus-Copy.jpgCoronus vs Repulsor & Rhino

:wub:

If you ever needed a reason to start collecting them :D

I have to say that a fully painted Custodes army is one of the most striking forces on the table. It really leaves an impression on your opponents regardless of the fact that the models themselves are not great in the game. I have been using a converted "Knight Centura" as a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor to walk around with my Sisters of Silence but that's as soupy as I get. I placed dead last in my last tournament but I had a lot of fun and managed to somehow snatch Best Painted even though there were definitely better painted armies there. 

I really still love the look of the models, even the Forgeworld ones, but I absolutely hate working on them. The rear of every Caladius has this rough chunk of crap you have to file/cut off. I could never get it 100% smooth, and people far more talented than me have done a better job of it, but I still think for the money it should be better. Much better.

(BTW: mine are from Forgeworld, not China-bay or Russia)

That said the aesthetic really appeals to me. On my blog, one of the most popular posts I've ever made, and it still gets lots of hits to this day is my tutorial on airbrushing Custodes Gold... aged or otherwise,... depending on what appeals to you. That tells me people love those models, and they want to explore doing a good job on them. 

I also agree it can be one of the most stunning armies on a table top. I just really hope it doesn't get watered down too much with SoS. I can see it happening though. It would drive sales.