Old player getting back into 40k, dropping in.

Hello all, 

Just dropping in to say hi, nice to meet everyone at B&C, It's been so long since I was involved in 40k, I started way back in the second edition when the history of the Horus Heresy was shrouded in myth and legend, I'm back and what do I find? I find there's a full blown game, Primarch models, background lore and novels; let alone 40k scale Warlord bloody Titans!

Back then, over 23 years ago, I'd never have imagined the mad lads at GW would actually pull it off, I'm now just waiting for Crusade to be released so I can make a decision on which legion to go for, brush up on my rusty painting skills and dive into the Horus Heresy. 

Anyway, good to chat to you all here. 

Welcome Squid, it must have been quite the shock indeed to emerge from the warp to see how much has changed :lol: 8th is a much faster game than 2nd you'll be pleased to hear (though this is a low bar...) ;) There's a lot to get your teeth into for the Horus Heresy including a lot of very nice models :)

Haha, second edition? That's new school to us Long Beards who started playing with Rogue Trader! :wink:

Seriously though, welcome back to the game a welcome to B&C. 2nd to 8th edition is actually a not as big a jump as you might think as 3rd - 7th had very different mechanics. 8th edition actually brought back many features you will be very familiar with such as differing movement rates, modifiers for Hit rolls and armour saves etc.

I hope you have a great time and I would be interested know which armies you collect. Will you be resurrecting some old-school army or taking the opportunity to start something completely new? Either way, dive in and enjoy the fun. Don't mind the paint splatter and may the dice be ever in your favour. :smile.:

Haha, second edition? That's new school to us Long Beards who started playing with Rogue Trader! :wink:

Seriously though, welcome back to the game a welcome to B&C. 2nd to 8th edition is actually a not as big a jump as you might think as 3rd - 7th had very different mechanics. 8th edition actually brought back many features you will be very familiar with such as differing movement rates, modifiers for Hit rolls and armour saves etc.

I hope you have a great time and I would be interested know which armies you collect. Will you be resurrecting some old-school army or taking the opportunity to start something completely new? Either way, dive in and enjoy the fun. Don't mind the paint splatter and may the dice be ever in your favour. :smile.:

Thank you all for the welcome!

I started with 2nd edition and was playing the 3/4th edition too, which streamlined the game a lot, after that I wandered off a bit; now I'm back, so there is a familiar sense of deja vu when I look at the new rules and see that there's armour modifiers, like the 2nd edition, when in 3/4th is was all about AP which would automatically blow through armour with a higher AP value, so it was a game of how low can you go, usually how many plasma weapons can you squeeze into a list when you're facing MEQs (I was never one for chees lists, I think it kills the fun of a game, I prefer fluffy lists even if I'm at a bit of a disadvantage)

At the moment I haven't got an army picked out yet, I sold off my old army years ago (Eldar) I'm really interested in the Horus Heresy, I still remember when GW first released the Index Astartes series in White Dwarf when they first really started expanding the legion history and delving into the HH

At the moment, I'm holding off until Crusade is released and the Dark Angels are out, then I can decide which legion I want to go for, which won't be easy as FW really knocked it out the park with a lot of the HH models. I'll probably go with one Loyalist one Traitor Legion and build them both up from there, but which one, I haven't decided, so I'll probably be lurking around the Age of Darkness boards trawling through the boogaloo thread.