Schoon's Titans & Terrain

schoon

Have been thinking about doing a map campaign, and thinking about how to make a visually appealing and functional map. Thus...

gallery_8852_16193_35031.png

Hex is 7.5 cm across, with holes for 3mm x 3mm magnets. This one is completely flat - a plains hex if you will. The idea is to make mountains, rivers, hives, etc. I'm currently thinking the idea through...

Excellent points on the other Mighty Empires tile designs out there.

However, I find the existing designs not to my taste for two reasons:

1. The tiles are smaller than I would like
  2. The variety of terrain types is not what I want

Today's Titanicus progress...

Got my 3D printed press mold of my Legio Lupos logo in the post:

gallery_8852_16193_20121.jpeg

...and using some ProCreate and a drop of hair clipper oil as a release agent, was rewarded with this:

gallery_8852_16193_101479.jpeg

Super chuffed about how it's coming out. Not sure if I want to blend the edges into the carapace or leave them.

I'm leaning towards blending after everything cures.

Edited by schoon

If you're going to magnetize the tiles I'd add the magnet to the bottom of the hex and use sheet metal or a surface with little magnets sticking up, not magnetizing the hex sides.  There's no reason to magnetize the hex sides if they all stick down to the surface of the board, they'll hold each other steady.

Though this looks like a hot mess, there's logic to it...

gallery_8852_16193_180831.jpeg

To make sure my base has good weight, I poured in a metal shot and epoxy mix after I'd placed magnets. The magnets are for my storage system and optional.

What I failed to expect was the metal shot wanting to sick to the surface of the magnets, so I had to clean them off multiple times while the epoxy was curing.

Not perfect, but it will work!

First coat of spackle applied to my Generarium terrain piece.

gallery_8852_16193_129647.jpeg

I've taken off the big "generators" till the first coat of paint goes on...

Needs at least one more application and guard rails for the walkway in front. Maybe a tech priest or two?

• 1 month later...

I read the Create Your Own Legio rules, and have come up with a draft:

Legio Lupos - Wolfpack in Low Gothic - using the new rules of Ryza, and have it narrowed down to:

Loyalist Titan Allegiance Ability: Adaptive Tactics - Once per game, change the order given to one Titan at the end of the Damage Control Phase, including Squadron Orders

*1 - Legio Trait: Motive Mastery - Add 2 to Command checks for Charge or Full Stride Orders
2 - Legio Trait: Duty and Honour - use Adaptive Tactics once per round
*3 - Legio Trait: Vanguard Fighters - Titans of Scale <=7 add 1 to all To Hit rolls an may be issued Full Stride and First Fire orders without Command check if no friendly Titan within 6"
4 - Legio Stratagem: Blistering March (3) - During Combat Phase, any Titan with Full Stride Order may fire one weapon for +1 Reactor Status level
5 - Legio Specific Wargear: Macro Charges - Blast 3 weapons become Blast 5 with +1 S for +30 points; +2 S if weapon detonates due to damage

1 or 3 has got to go, and I'm leaning towards nixing 3, which would not allow my Warhounds to combine shields. Probably going to run Ferrox with Reavers and Warhounds most often. Not 100% sure 5 is the best Wargear option, but sounds useful for not many points. 

From a fluff perspective, think loyalist Audax.

Would love to hear comments and suggestions...
Edited by schoon

• 1 month later...

While this may not look like much...

gallery_8852_16193_237018.jpeg

It's the base for my Opus Titanica, and was done with my new airbrush set up. (Took a little experimentation to get things right.)

Now I feel it's at a point where I can do Titans (probably Knights first) with it.

This still needs some washes and weathering...

Edited by schoon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With apologies to Kane Tucker who created an amazing "King" Warlord Titan that he showcased on Facebook...

gallery_8852_16193_161286.jpeg

I tried to do a "Queen" version using a Reaver.

In both cases, power fist fingers make up the crown.

Now I just have to think about the rest of the Titan!