Rubrics with Flamers, when to use and how many?

DavionStar

Hey folks. I just got a Start Collecting Thousand Sons box so I have 10 new Rubrics to build.

I already have one squad of 10 Rubrics with a Soulreaper and the rest with Bolters. So I was considering a few possibilities on how I should build these new 10.

How good are Warpflamers on Rubrics for the cost? Do they help if the unit gets locked into Melee (I'm only about 90% clear on how shooting in combat works in 40k)? Should I fill the whole squad, half, one or two models? Should I build maybe a squad of 5 with Warpflamers and another squad of 5 with Bolters? I'm not sure.

I'm only going to be playing 1k pt games for a while. I'm a long way away from building up to a 2k pt list so I can worry about getting more models to beef up to 2k later. My current list does utilize Tzaangors but I was also considering an alternate list where I take all of them out and run 10x, 5x and 5x Rubrics instead for my Troops. I actually like the Tzaangors, but variety is always nice.

For clarity this is a separate question from my topic in the Lists forum. I'm just asking for some advice on if I should bother building any of my new dust bins with flamers or not. I won't be playing in any official tourneys any time soon and my local folk seem friendly enough that they won't have a problem with "counts as" models if I have to.

I think this is a good discussion to renew with the recent changes :tu: Warpflamers are quite mean but suffer from the short range of most flamers. They don't directly help with getting locked in melee, but any opponent charging from within 8" may think twice if you have them in number (or, if you're lucky you could wipe the attacking unit out with over watch). With the improvements to bolters they have a stronger argument than before however. Though you always need them of course, perhaps it means there's less call for flamers?

My thoughts are still a flamer or two in a squad, but this is maybe out of date now. I'm pretty sure that flamer squad o'doom will still like leaping out of a Rhino to roast someone, with the same advantages and drawbacks as before at least. For what it's worth I've not heard much talk of flamers recently, so it'll be interesting to hear what those with recent experience have to say :)

Cool, thanks folks. :) I'll probably model 3 or 4 of 'em with flamers. And even if I don't run them as flamers I'll just say "shh, they're just bolters". I plan to bring a printed out army list with me anyways so I'll have 'proof' of it.

Anyone else have any experience with them?

Cool, thanks folks. :smile.: I'll probably model 3 or 4 of 'em with flamers. And even if I don't run them as flamers I'll just say "shh, they're just bolters". I plan to bring a printed out army list with me anyways so I'll have 'proof' of it.

Anyone else have any experience with them?

Yes. I run a group of 9 + Warpflame Pistol Sorcerer and use Risen Rubricae to pop them into my opponent's half of the table behind LOS blocking terrain and near an objective if possible. Then I make sure I have something nasty within move + charge range if my opponent detours to wipe them out and manages to get a charge off out of LOS. If they don't, I move an HQ up and Warp Time them somewhere to cause some damage. Their threat bubble can really mess with people's heads, especially Marine players.

Yes. I run a group of 9 + Warpflame Pistol Sorcerer and use Risen Rubricae to pop them into my opponent's half of the table behind LOS blocking terrain and near an objective if possible. Then I make sure I have something nasty within move + charge range if my opponent detours to wipe them out and manages to get a charge off out of LOS. If they don't, I move an HQ up and Warp Time them somewhere to cause some damage. Their threat bubble can really mess with people's heads, especially Marine players.

I have a squad built just like that, but I hadn't thought to use them that aggressively.  I was going to put mine in a Rhino, then maybe use Risen Rubricae on a Bolter squad.