Runepriest builds and uses

Hey pack,

I just picked up a Primaris Librarian from my flgs relatively cheap and turned him wolf (pics soon, when I resurrect my plog).

This might be a bit of an untimely discussion, as things might change very soon. But still... what are your favourite Rune Priest builds (normal/ njall/ "jötunn" (

Edited by ranulf the revenant

I either run 1 RP (jump pack and armor of russ) or 3

3 is fun and play like a buzz saw late game without needing too much CP

Phobos has tenebrous curse

Njal in terminator armor has jaws (combo with above)

If I can line things up the living storm stratagem gets used as well

But even without that a triple smite plus living lightning can clean up the late game survivors

Yeah, he's definetely nice looking. Are you actually using him as a Phobos RP? What psychic powers do you use besides Smite ?

'Course I am - I'm a firm believer in WYSIWYG if you can manage it. Right now, I'm running Fury of the Wolf Spirits and Jaws of the World Wolf. Mortal wounds and melee augs all the way, lad. That said, if I were to run him with my Raven Guard, Temporal Corridor and Shrouding would be a must - they're worded so they work on all ADEPTUS ASTARTES PHOBOS units, meaning they'd work on my Raven Guard Phobos stuff.

We have a decent selection of powers with a range of applications. The main problem is that the casting cost seems to be very high on many of them (something that I hope gets fixed in PA6). For this reason, Njal is my go-to caster as his +1 is mandatory to make many of our powers reasonably reliable. The choice between power armour or terminator armour largely depends on whether you want him in a Transport or teleporting in. I tend to favour power armour as he still gets a 2+/5++ save in this mode and can be on the table Casting from T1. If you teleport, he will be T2 at the earliest.

The other option is a regular Rune Priest with Jump Pack if you have units you want to buff that will move up the table quickly. The usual combo for this is "Storm Caller" followed by "Cloaked by the Storm". This is an expensive combo (and you will probably need a spare CP to ensure Storm Caller goes off) but very effective for protecting an all-out attack force (e.g. a Storm Wolf full of Wulfen + backup). It is rather eggs in one basket though.

Lastly, the Phobos Rune Priest has access to some nice powers. Even if you don't take any Phobos units, the 3 attack powers are useful and flexible. If you have a regular Rune Priest and are looking for a second caster, one of these guys can work well. Handy that most of the powers are WC6 so casting is fairly reliable. Tempest's Wrath and Hallucination on a single model will severely cripple it for a turn.