So Flyers...

KGatch113

Are Vultures still worth it with the points increase?

Are Thunderbolts etc good to take for anti-flyer purposes?

If a Valk drops into Hover Mode, can it move back into super sonic mode?

I keep looking at all the Valkyrie to Thunderbolt conversions and wish I had those skills! ( I loathe big resin models...seen too many get knocked off the table by little Timmy and seen them explode).

Any good ideas or things I need to know about Valks tactically? I'm planning on running 4 with my Storm Trooper Force. 

The Valk is a good option this edition

Especially when it gets +1 bs in hover mode and there's a bunch of strats for them now too

They can also switch back to super sonic the following turn. There's even a strat now that allows them to count as being hard to hit when in hover I believe

As for the others for the points there's better options out there unfortunately which sucks because I have a thunderbolt I want to build and play

Tomorrow I’m playing a bit of a casual game with a friend of mine visiting from out of state. My list is a full air cavalry Scions dual battalion with the six squads riding in six valkyries and a pair of thunderbolts supporting against his brand new sisters army, so I guess I’ll find out soon what the flyers do and report back in!

Tomorrow I’m playing a bit of a casual game with a friend of mine visiting from out of state. My list is a full air cavalry Scions dual battalion with the six squads riding in six valkyries and a pair of thunderbolts supporting against his brand new sisters army, so I guess I’ll find out soon what the flyers do and report back in!

Looking forward and have fun!

So in the end it was pretty much a stomp, but it was also his first game with the new sisters so take that with a grain of salt.

We played the cities of death ruleset from CA2018 as we had both been wanting to try it out.

At the end of the game I had lost about 25 Scions, but only one full squad and then two of the valkyries had been killed. The thunderbolts were... interesting.

Most of the anti tank in the army came from them, the rest was just 12 plasma guns in three of my Scions squads. Each thunderbolt could just about kill an exorcist on its own (first time one was left on a wound) but they could very reliably kill immolators. Almost all of the damage came from the hellstrike missiles, the actual armament on the plane did basically nothing.

As expected the self repair did literally nothing, but also only one of them took any damage and never got bracketed so

So in the end it was pretty much a stomp, but it was also his first game with the new sisters so take that with a grain of salt.

We played the cities of death ruleset from CA2018 as we had both been wanting to try it out.

At the end of the game I had lost about 25 Scions, but only one full squad and then two of the valkyries had been killed. The thunderbolts were... interesting.

Most of the anti tank in the army came from them, the rest was just 12 plasma guns in three of my Scions squads. Each thunderbolt could just about kill an exorcist on its own (first time one was left on a wound) but they could very reliably kill immolators. Almost all of the damage came from the hellstrike missiles, the actual armament on the plane did basically nothing.

As expected the self repair did literally nothing, but also only one of them took any damage and never got bracketed so ‍♂

The valkyries did piss all, I had them loaded out with multiple rocket pods and a multi laser (no points for the door heavy bolters). Most of that was more due to bad rolls on the shot count though, I never had more than 7.

All in all it was a fun list, I loved the chance to get the two thunderbolts on the table but I definitely wouldn’t consider it strong. I think every game will be a stomp one way or the other.

I know for a fact GW does not purposefully make a unit's rules good to sell its models, but I wish they would make an exception for the thunderbolt!

Yes... Inspire by this topic and my AI models I literally had the FW page open last night to buy one...

So much for that :dry.:

Oh.. Better luck next time? 

I have two lightning already, I used to have thunderbolt, the are so cool. Although if I add a flyer I want an Avenger Strike fighter. Looks very cool.