=][= Liberalia Martiale 2020: The Iron Gauntlet

Dosjetka

Hey Guys, I encourage anyone that's thinking of doing this challenge to give it a go. I did this 3 years ago and it really helped me hone what I wanted my custom chapter to be. Although I won't be participating this year as an entrant, I will do my part on helping others to complete their project. I would like to also add that its great to see painted models that represent your diys too. 

From deep within the sub-halls of the Heraldry Department in the Liber, Brother Cambrius emerged from beyond its doors, his sunglasses being cleaned with a cloth as he frowned at the small pus-induced smudges that refused to be rubbed off. His deployment to face the putrid forces of Nurgle's warriors had now been relieved as a vital message came through via a golden-plated Servo Skull, emblazoned with the mark of the Legio Bolter and Chainsword. The skull had dropped a bound scroll into his hands and as he unfurled it, he saw what he was required for. A single gauntlet of dulled iron stared back from the thrice-blessed parchment alongside a short order,

"Return and fulfil the vow untaken. Dos."

Entering the main halls of the Liber, Cambrius smiled a little at the lecterns that still displayed articles proudly, now of every species and force within the Imperium's galaxy, to allow the Legio to be unsurpassed in knowledge against their foes. How odd it seemed that it was now his responsibility alongside the rest of the Liber Moderati, a title he never sought out, but one he was deemed to have earned in his years serving this hallowed place. His head still ached as the memories of his early years, and the bowling balls and spine flails that helped to keep him and the serfs in his care in order. Spotting the deathmask of the Reclusiarch of the Liber amongst the many varieties of armours of the population of the Halls, Cambrius saluted the Chaplain with a crashing fist to upon his own chest plate,

"Hail, Reclusiarch Dosjetka. I have come to answer my summons and aid in overseeing this collective vow."

+++++

So yeah, I have never ever participated in this hallowed event in my 13 years on the B&C. Having now been furloughed as of this afternoon due to the current pestilences affecting the planet, I deemed it was time I committed to this endeavour and to fix and restart my original Chapter, who's sigil I still wear to this day and play upon the tabletop battlefields.

I, Brother Cambrius, of the Sons of Doom take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenges 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor, the feared Force Bowling Ball of Octavulg and Brother Argos curse me if I fail.

Let us begin,

Cambrius

Over two score brothers and sisters had answered the call, many of them veterans of the Legio. Dosjetka flashed a half-smile as he focussed on the noise of comings-and-goings through the labyrinthine halls of the Liber that had returned after many months of regretful silence and absence of activity.

Now it was time for the Reclusiarch to add his own name to the Iron Gauntlet's roster. Now it was time to bring to completion over a decade's worth of effort. Now it was time to at long last have an Index Astartes file written by his own hand stored in the gargantuan databanks of the Legio.

=][=

I, Dosjetka, primary representative of the Thunder Fists Adeptus Astartes take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete all Challenges and submit them to the Liber before the respective deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. Failure is not an option.

I, BCK, Chronicler of the Acid Reign gang of House Escher, take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge the First and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Gorgons curse me if I fail.

3000 words? Hah! That's nothing. 

Maybe. 

A question with regard to Challenge 2: would it be ok to start on this early in some way or do it concurrently with Challenge 1? Or perhaps have a 4-month time limit for both, rather than 2 2-month limits?

It's just that I have lots of time at the mo (wonder why?!) and have finished building my KT and working on my Order article is really making me want to get my paint brushes out!!!

Being able to switch between writing and painting might also prevent burn out?

Just a thought anyway...

I had a similar thought yesterday late evening. Give me a bit of time and I'll see about finding a solution to this issue. :tu:

In any case, thank you for speaking up and the suggestion!

A question with regard to Challenge 2: would it be ok to start on this early in some way or do it concurrently with Challenge 1? Or perhaps have a 4-month time limit for both, rather than 2 2-month limits?

It's just that I have lots of time at the mo (wonder why?!) and have finished building my KT and working on my Order article is really making me want to get my paint brushes out!!!

Being able to switch between writing and painting might also prevent burn out?

Just a thought anyway...

I had a similar thought yesterday late evening. Give me a bit of time and I'll see about finding a solution to this issue. :thumbsup:

In any case, thank you for speaking up and the suggestion!

This will allow me to move some of my projects around into something I'd like to do instead of holding off til later.

=][= Important update

At the request of a few Frater and given the exceptional circumstances we're in, I've decided to shift the starting date of the second Challenge to Monday 6th April. The final date for the first Challenge stays the same. This will allow people who have time on their hands to crack on with their vows sooner while giving the people who would like time to work on their articles the time they need.

However, if you have vowed to enter the first Challange, you must complete it before moving on to the second Challenge.

As usual, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them here or in private via PMs. :tu:

=][= Important update

At the request of a few Frater and given the exceptional circumstances we're in, I've decided to shift the starting date of the second Challenge to Monday 6th April. The final date for the first Challenge stays the same. This will allow people who have time on their hands to crack on with their vows sooner while giving the people who would like time to work on their articles the time they need.

However, if you have vowed to enter the first Challange, you must complete it before moving on to the second Challenge.

As usual, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them here or in private via PMs. :tu:

So once we declare the article done, we move to challenge 2. Fair enough, I have enough to build still.

Exactly. And by "done" I mean it has to be at least 1'000 words long (i.e. meet the minimum criterion for the Challenge), look like a completed article (i.e. no bullet points, typos cleaned up as much as possible, etc), and most importantly you have to be happy with it. :)

A question. Given the current close down of GW and FW production, and my struggles sourcing on theme units, am I able to ‘add on’ units to my pledge as we go? I can hit the gold standard now for Challenge two but it’ll be with bland generic units that won’t be able to showcase my force’s uniqueness, unless I can add them in once production is up again.

So I need to finish my article asap if I want to maximize painting time. Something is going to suffer here.

While I can understand bring it forward for those that can start and would otherwise be going mad while in lockdown, as someone who is even more busy than normal because of the current situation, I am going to have to compromise either my painting time if I work on my article in the original time frame up to middle of May or the other way round.

I guess a minimal article and only a kill team by 6 June might be on the cards then.

I've toyed with giving folks more time for Challenge #2 but I'm unsure. The Iron Gauntlet isn't supposed to be easy, after all, but if more people can get models painted that's good. :tu:

I'll continue to mull over it over the next day or so. Feel free to share your thoughts in the meantime!

I understand that it is a challenge, but when I committed to it I had roughly two months to work on an article (and help others with theirs) and then around 2 months to work on a combat patrol force (or hopefully even the Strike Froce but that was rather optomistic to begin with).

Today I have roughly a month and a half left for the article, but for the building and painting I have only between 3 weeks (mid may to 6 June at worst) and the full 2 months (if I rush out an article this weekend). In terms of hobby times and planned commitments I feel I have a handicap compared to when I started. I will do the best I can in the time allotted but it might not be as much.

I understand not wanting to give people more than two months for challenge two, as two months is the limited you set.

It would be more admin on your side but one solution that springs to mind is that everybody gets up to two months for challenge 2 starting from when they declare/have finished challenge one. This would put a variable end time to challenge 2 and might throw the rest out of alignment but no one would have less time then when they signed up and anybody who has the time early can use it.

Alternatively make it so that challenge one and two can be worked on simultaneously.  While I am not ready in a position to really start challenge two on the 6th I can still give it my best shot if I can spend as much time on challenge 2 as possible without having to  eat into my time because challenge one is not finished.  While working on both at the same time is not ideal it would give a bit more flexibility than is currently available.  

=][= Important update

So, I've a question. Since I'm writing two articles for mine, do I have to fully complete both or just one? Because the Night Lords one is mostly done (I just need to add some more stuff to the timeline), but the Knights one is giving me issues with it, as aside from timeline and a section explaining their colours.... I'm drawing a blank on them.

It would be more admin on your side but one solution that springs to mind is that everybody gets up to two months for challenge 2 starting from when they declare/have finished challenge one. This would put a variable end time to challenge 2 and might throw the rest out of alignment but no one would have less time then when they signed up and anybody who has the time early can use it.

Alternatively make it so that challenge one and two can be worked on simultaneously.  While I am not ready in a position to really start challenge two on the 6th I can still give it my best shot if I can spend as much time on challenge 2 as possible without having to  eat into my time because challenge one is not finished.  While working on both at the same time is not ideal it would give a bit more flexibility than is currently available.

I think these seem like the best alternatives. The simplest way would be to do them together with a 4 month deadline, if you're able to get ahead on the writing, you get more time to paint. That said, if you're dead set on only allowing a max of 2 months per Challenge, I'd allow people to choose to finish Challenge 1/start 2 early, but they only get 2 months from that point to complete it. So if you end Challenge 1 five days early on the 12th May, you get until the 12th July to complete Challenge 2.

That wouldn't really be more admin, though. You'd just have to trust each participant to remember and be honest about when they'd started and finished? (Which you're doing anyway, no way to prove if someone has started early!)

Was going to ask if updating an old Chpater for the 42nd Millenium counted for challenge one, but that would be too easy/not enough work to save me from going mad during upcoming furlough.

Instead, to ask a stupid question - can I pledge to write 6000+ plus words about a sector? What would one even expect to see in a properly-formatted article about a sector?

(If it's a no that's A-okay, I have a backup option - possibly the world's first Cornish-themed IG regiment. Onen hag oll.)

Was going to ask if updating an old Chpater for the 42nd Millenium counted for challenge one, but that would be too easy/not enough work to save me from going mad during upcoming furlough.

Instead, to ask a stupid question - can I pledge to write 6000+ plus words about a sector? What would one even expect to see in a properly-formatted article about a sector?

(If it's a no that's A-okay, I have a backup option - possibly the world's first Cornish-themed IG regiment. Onen hag oll.)

On the opening statement, I am sure that is perfectly fine. It is what I am doing currently with my original article from 13 years ago (yeesh I am becoming an old git...) as the changes into the 42nd Millennium present a lot to discuss and update, including how the chapter has fared during Noctis Aeterna and also how they have welcomed Primaris marines amongst their ranks.

Now on the sector front, I am not too sure and will leave that to Dosjetka's decision. It'd be nice to welcome another Celtic oriented Imperial force, however to join the Tanith and Storm Wardens from the canon side. :biggrin.:

Cambrius

I’ll back this option too

Ditto. 

Finally getting time to get some work done on my writing and just getting down some background information before my Escher gang was even formed is approaching a thousand words. Three thousand may not be as much of an issue as I initially thought. 

I'm going to go ahead and get started with Challenge 2. I'll be posting my progress over at my thread on the Dark Angels sub forum. Due to difficulties sourcing GW products, I'll be doing my army bit by bit as and when I can get the on theme units, with the aim of having the full gold level size force before the deadline. I hope that will be acceptable!