=][= Liberalia Martiale 2020: The Iron Gauntlet

Dosjetka

I'm trying to get my entry done but food industry work has become so horrific in the last month and I'm so drained after a shift, I just end up staring at the Word document and not getting anything written whenever I even have the resolve to open it up. *sigh*

I'm trying to get my entry done but food industry work has become so horrific in the last month and I'm so drained after a shift, I just end up staring at the Word document and not getting anything written whenever I even have the resolve to open it up. *sigh*

I'm with McDs, and we barely skipped a beat here in Oz....

However, in the brief quiet moments of take few and ponder my ideas so fleshing out when I had time / motivation was quicker, smoother

Edited by Grotsmasha

Got the same problem as Grotsmasha and BCK.

Was two weeks off, spending time with my Family and now I'll have to prepare everything for our reopening. Nothing written down.

Bought a keyboard for my tablet, maybe that will help getting me motivated again. :/

You still have just over a week to get things done so don't fret just yet, folks. :smile.: In any case, real life comes first!

As Dos says, Real Life always comes first and foremost. Even if they're not complete for the first challenge, you can revisit them another time once things are calmed down outside of this event for us all to enjoy. :)

Cambrius

With the webstore back open and a chance at the factory starting up again soon I should be back on track with my painting!

And everyone else still going for challenge one, don’t sweat it, especially if you’re a key worker, you still have time and your work during this pandemic is greatly appreciated by everyone

A combination of my ongoing battle with depression/anxiety and other life issues, as well as my expert level procrastination has once again seen my get to close to the end of another Iron Gauntlet -  Challenge the First with so very little done.  I am bitterly disappointed in myself which doesn't help the depression.  But I am not one to let despair win.  I am going to see what I can do in this last week.  I will get at least bronze for everyone, this I swear.  I am tired of letting these demons get the best of me.

Good luck to everyone else still going.  We are only at the first step but it is often the hardest.  Particularly when it comes to the writing side of the hobby and challenge.  Together we have got this.

Oh, and HOUSE ISHARD is born...

Edited by Brother Argent

A combination of my ongoing battle with depression/anxiety and other life issues, as well as my expert level procrastination has once again seen my get to close to the end of another Iron Gauntlet -  Challenge the First with so very little done.  I am bitterly disappointed in myself which doesn't help the depression.  But I am not one to let despair win.  I am going to see what I can do in this last week.  I will get at least bronze for everyone, this I swear.  I am tired of letting these demons get the best of me.

Good luck to everyone else still going.  We are only at the first step but it is often the hardest.  Particularly when it comes to the writing side of the hobby and challenge.  Together we have got this.

Oh, and HOUSE ISHARD is born...

Crush it, brother.

Finally managed to write down my notes and thoughts in a doc. About 1.2k words

My goal is to flesh them out to Reach at least silver rank though I fear that it won't be a fully written Index Article like the others.

Well, real-life happens, eh?

So before and following some advice of one of the most awesome people on the forum I have decided to re-focus here.  I would rather write one article I am happy with then churn out ten crap articles.  I will still write the other articles and intend to keep up my commitment throughout the rest of the challenge. So stay faithful brothers (and sisters).  We have all got this.

As I am running out of time here is the link to the article as of tonight. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to add some more but if not then this is the finished article

I still have not come up with a better name so the place holder name of Fides ex Machina is going to be it I guess.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/362669-order-minoris-fides-ex-machina/?do=findComment&comment=5522058

Edited by Trokair

First draft of the now named Voidjawz warband is up: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/362750-ig-2020-da-voidjawz-former-blakjawz/?p=5495341

About 1.9K words. Gonna revise it and add further stuff. Hopefully in time to reach the silver rank. If not, bronze would be fine, as well. ;)

Given all the hard work that's been put in by everyone and how many are close to finshing, I'll extend the deadline by an extra 24 hours to give more folks a chance to complete their articles (remember, the minimum is 1000 words).

This means that you have until Sunday 23:59 in your timezone to finish writing your articles.

Good luck, folks!

Got my article updated past 3000 earlier this morning, adding what was probably close to a thousand words in my origins and history section. I'll almost certainly return to the article as time passes (if only to link the article to other parts of the challenge) but I think I can call my Index Imperialis: Cantorellian 23rd done for the Iron Gauntlet.

And a 3000 word piece that was a painful struggle

THE STAR LEOPARDS

I am really out of shape with doing this.  Hopefully I can re find old form as I go as I am going to complete all the other Nine articles as well as this one.  But 3000 words is enough for this for now so I am calling that as done as it can be for the Challenge the First.  3.5 out of 10 isn't horrible...

And a 3000 word piece that was a painful struggle

THE STAR LEOPARDS

I am really out of shape with doing this.  Hopefully I can re find old form as I go as I am going to complete all the other Nine articles as well as this one.  But 3000 words is enough for this for now so I am calling that as done as it can be for the Challenge the First.  3.5 out of 10 isn't horrible...

3.5 articles in two months is borderline superhuman, brother.

You don't give yourself enough credit.

As far as coming back to the other articles goes, the best advice I can give you is to focus entirely on one article at a time, and leave them until after the Iron Gauntlet. The further development of these articles doesn't have to be done during challenges, after all. :wink:

Knock out a rough outline for each section you intend to include, and then pad it out point by point as you need to.

Don't be afraid to put up incomplete or even 'outline only' articles - it's easier to change or update outlines, after all, and giving people who are interested a short summary of the Chapter can be a lot less daunting than confronting people with an immediately full article.

If you hit a total mental wall on one faction, that's when to move on to another, or indulge the painting/modelling side of the hobby for a while, and wait for inspiration to come around.

Having tried to rush-write the whole Silver Circle before now (which is only 6 articles, bear in mind) I can vouchsafe that the result was a terrible disjointed mess, even though in my head it all made perfect sense. :laugh.: :sweat:

Even taking a couple of years to pen up some outlines for the Circle all at once made me realise that by the simple act of working on multiple Chapters in detail at once, I was selling each one short, and brushing off the problems that some of them *cough* all of them *cough splutter* hopelessly one-dimensional *cough* had, hoping that the sheer scale of the project would excuse some flaws.

It took years for me to figure out that the only way to succeed was to tighten the focus, do it the tried-and-tested way and knock out one article at a time.

I started with the Warminds, a Chapter whose total summary, in my notes (which took me over a year to write, to re-iterate), read "lots of psychics, obsessed with their own exctinction. Metallic green armour, deathmasks?". They were almost a blank slate apart from a few vague inspirations, unlike most of the Circle.

Several months and the invaluable critiques and advice of several Liberites later, and the Warminds are probably the best article I've ever written, or at least the one I myself am happiest with.

Sure, it's not the complete Circle. Heck, it's not quite the complete Chapter (yet), but the moment the Warminds started to really click was, I think, the moment I really got my old love for this side of the Hobby back.

TL;DR:

Don't be so harsh with yourself, and don't be afraid to start small, because small things can grow into great victories, if given time.

EDIT:

This advice pretty much works for everyone, in fact.

Even if you can't make the deadline for the challenge, be proud of what you've done here, brothers. You've all done well!

Edited by Ace Debonair

Made it! Thread for Da Kamp is here.

Still a bit short of the Gold at a little over 2500 words, but hopefully I'll be able to make it up tonight by finishing a few of the sections I have half-written in the increasingly unwieldy Google Doc where this all lives. If not, I supposed I can live with a Silver - finally finishing a B&C Challenge after so many flops feels like a pretty big victory on its own!

Edit: With 10-ish minutes to go, I've jumped just over the line! Woo hoo! Now on to the next one...

Edited by Lexington