=][= Liberalia Martiale 2020: The Iron Gauntlet

Dosjetka

Technically I was supposed to help run this thing, so don’t blame Dos, blame me, but if Dos has decided to suspend the thing I suppose that’s that for now (especially with such an understandable reason).

I am, however, in an effort to keep to my oath to myself, working on my second vow. My 7th unit is on the way for assembly and conversion, and a tank is mostly painted, just waiting on camo paint and the secondary weapons. All my infantry is still grey plastic, though, so I’ve got to get a move on. :sweat:

Brother Argent kept a brisk and determined pace as he made his way down the silent corridor.  Dim light flickered wanly along its lengths, casting ghostly shadows on the Chaplain's baroque armour.  The punishing pace he set caused the two serf he had recruited to his service to struggle to keep up, the two nearly running after the black armoured giant.  Danei struggled under the weight of the keys to the Argent Forge while Damastus, a veteran serf whom had served with Brother Argent for time immemorial, was kept hunched under the weight of the massive Argent Apogrypha.  Although they were pushed to their limits they knew better then to complain.  The Unofficial Reclusiarch of the Liber was on a mission and woe betide any whom got in his way.

They continued to move along the corridor before coming to a section that seemed to have been the sight of some sort of recent savage battle.  The walls were covered in scorch and blast marks while broken pipes and sparking wires hung from the roof like vines on any number of death worlds that lay scattered the length and breadth of the Imperium.  Warning klaxons flashed and sputtered a broken warning.  A single Legio serf moved amoungst the ruins, seemingly at random, like a dazed animal.  Brother Argent ignored all this and moved with a sure purpose to what was apparently the epicenter of the destruction.  A single figure lay amoungst the debris and destruction.  He wore similar black cast baroque armour as Argent and a skull faced helmet in the rubble beside him marked him as a fellow member of the Chaplaincy.  Brother Argent hefted a slap of permacrete off the prone figure as if it was little more then a feather before assisting the fallen brother to his feet.

" Are you well, Brother Dos?" he asked and the fallen Chaplain nodded grimly before straightening himself.  Brother Argent's gaze then fell on a single iron painted armoured glove lying on the floor.  The seemingly innocent gauntlet exuded a sense of hidden power that filled Brother Argent's mind with whispered voiced.  Not the voices of the Warp, no these were something far more powerful.

" The Iron Gauntlet is as much a challenge to those whom wield it as well as those whom take up its call.  Trust me, I too have felt its touch.  To wield the Gauntlet is to be forever scarred Brother." Argent said grimly before motioning the wandering serf over.

" You, serf!" he barked and the man seemed to snap out of his daze and come running over.

" Serf Anduil at your service, milord,"he bowed and Brother Argent motioned to the Gauntlet.

" Pick it up," he ordered and the serf approached the artifact before hesitating. He could no doubt feel the power emanating from the Gauntlet and could see what it had done to Dosjetka.

" Do not be alarmed.  You are no Astartes so it powers wont effect you," Argent said and Anduil nodded before bending down and picking up the innocuous artifact," As much..."  Argent finished and the serf's face went white.

" I have duties to attend," Dosjetka said, stepping apart from his fellow Reclusiarch.  Brother Argent grimly nodded before looking at the three serfs whom now accompanied him.

" As have I," he said and set off back towards the heart of the Liber, the three serfs scurrying to keep up.

Edited by Brother Argent

Hi all,

:censored: has hit the proverbial fan and I'm have been and will continue to be out of the picture for a while. I'm sorry that this event has fallen apart due to this. I'll do my best to make amends for it once things blow over later this year.

I hope you're all well and that I'll see you again on the other side.

Cheers,

Dos

Things happen man. I mean, life happens.

Oh by the way people:

So, I just realized I forgot to say, I've finished the Fangs of the Father article for the purposes of the challenge (will likely continue to work on it as time goes on and I get more inspiration).

The issue is this:

I can't do ANY of the other challenges currently until GW re-opens, as I don't have the shoulder pads for my Night Lords. Can't "Fully assemble, paint, and base" a model if you're missing shoulder pads... :laugh.:

I'm still waiting on the Night Lords Upgrades I ordered back in March.... :laugh.:

This is despite having something I ordered after them show up.... :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

=][=

Due to Real LifeTM problems, Dosjetka has indefinitely stepped down from the Iron Gauntlet. In light of this, and my own previous commitments to the Gauntlet, I have stepped in to take over the event for the foreseeable future, up to and including to the end of the event, if necessary.

I remain available for questions by PM and posts here in this thread.

A more detailed post concerning the rest of the challenges, an accounting of the results of the First Challenge, and a soft restart of Challenge the Second, will go up no later than the 10th of July, 2020.

The Liber mod team would like to thank you all for your continued patience, especially during this trying time worldwide.

=][=

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

=][=

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to the Iron Gauntlet!

In light of the recent events, and a lack of communication on the part of the Iron Gauntlet team, the following changes go into effect effective July 10, 2020:

• The deadline for Challenge the Second is extended to August 17, 2020
  • The constructive criticism requirement for Challenge the First is removed
  • The durations of Challenge the Third, the Penultimate Challenge, and the Final Challenge are all changed to two months
  • The starting dates of Challege the Third, the Penultimate Challenge, and the Final Challenge, are August 17th, October 17th, and December 17th
  • Challenge the Third, The Penultimate Challenge, and the Final Challenge may be done in any order, though you are required to begin each on one of the designated starting dates, and complete it by the starting date of the next challenge block, or the final ending date of February 17th, 2021
  • The new Ending Date of the Iron Gauntlet is February 17th, 2021

“But Daimyo, what does this mean for me?”

“I’m glad you asked, random frater! The answer is, you have additional time to complete the second challenge (and you do not, say again do not, have to discard previous progress). This is in light of Real LifeTM issues that prevented the official start of Challenge the Second, and the official closure of Challenge the First. Additionally, in light of the global pandemic that has placed restrictions on when and how people can gather, the remaining three challenges may be done in any order, and with additional time given, to allow frater to get games in, obtain their materials, etc. Additionally, because of the extended timeframe, the new ending date is Feb.17, 2021.

“However, it’s also going to mean some increased responsibility for you, the participants. Because of the nonlinear nature of the remaining challenges, you will be required to notify the team (i.e. me) of which challenge you are participating in, and when, so I can do bookkeeping. You can aid me in this task by tagging your threads for each challenge with the Iron Gauntlet 2020 or IG2020 tags.

“Please note that just because we have waived the criticism requirement for the first challenge, it is still highly encouraged that you go to other fraters’ threads, be it for the first challenge, the last, or any of the others. Authors, also note that you may get such criticism--please know that your fellow fraters are only looking out for you, and providing it in the interest of helping you improve as a hobbyist, DIYist, or a writer.

“However, the Iron Gauntlet remains the board’s premiere lore event. It is still a difficult challenge, and these changes are only designed to facilitate your attempts in light of extraordinary circumstances beyond your control, not make it easier. I still expect the best from each frater, and have full confidence each of you will make your best attempt to conquer the Iron Gauntlet this year.”

And now, the results of Challenge the First!
The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Gold:

• Ace Debonair
  • Brother Argent (x4!)
  • Brother Ezra
  • Commissar_roach
  • Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
  • Gederas
  • Grotsmasha
  • Harlan Skorus
  • Lexington
  • Llagos_Tyrant
  • Messor
  • TechCaptain
  • Toaae
  • UtariOnzo
  • Brother Cambrius
  • Shield-Captain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Silver

• Kelborn
  • Toaae
  • Trokair
  • Focslain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Bronze

• Dosjetka
  • Gederas
  • Lysimachus
  • Brother-Chaplain Kage

Now then, brothers, go forth and conquer! I await your completions of Challenge the Second no later than August 17th.

=][=

Addendum to note:

Please either PM me to inform me of your participation, or comment here or in this thread in the Forge so that I can have an updated list of participants, as I've probably missed your vow post at some point or another.

Thank you Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch for the update as to the Iron Gauntlet and continuing this on for all of us.   

A small point, unless we have a time machine here at the B&C that no one has told me about I think you meant to say that the new end point is February 2021.

With the extra time for challenge the second I hereby commit to complete it to the gold standard as I was on track to complete it to the silver stand (one model to go as of yesterday). So the extra month means I should get the extra units done.  I will go over to the Forge thread for pictures and update for challenge the second.

Edited by Trokair

A small point, unless we have a time machine here at the B&C that no one has told me about I think you meant to say that the new end point is February 2021.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the Ordo Chronos, its dealings, or any specialized equipment it may or may not have. :whistling:

Glad to hear this is still going, well done Dos and Lenoch!!

Just as a heads up for the sake of clarity, I signed up for ALL the Challenges in post 58, moved on to Challenge 2 in post 25 of my Order of the Sacred Scroll thread, and completed Challenge 2 (with link to pic) in post 163 here?

I would like tho join the painting challenge.

I have now a week of holidays and have some painting scheduled anyways.

I am planning on finishing a HQ, troop and another unit for my Night Lords Army.

As for the gaming challenge-

I have signed up at the local group, but with COVID, who knows if anything will happen this year at all. And if it does if I will be able to make it job wise. We will see.

At least with this I hope I can motivate myself to get some painting done.

I would like to join the painting challenge.

I am planning on finishing a HQ, troop and another unit for my Night Lords Army.

I have signed up at the local group, but with COVID, who knows if anything will happen this year at all. And if it does if I will be able to make it job wise. We will see.

Glad to have you join us, Valkia! You can, of course, jump in! And if you happen to come up with any ancillary lore on the side to describe your warband, well, I don't think any of us would say no....

I've gone ahead and updated the participant list in the second challenge thread, and will be updating the second post in this thread shortly.

Glad to have you join us, Valkia! You can, of course, jump in! And if you happen to come up with any ancillary lore on the side to describe your warband, well, I don't think any of us would say no....

I've gone ahead and updated the participant list in the second challenge thread, and will be updating the second post in this thread shortly.

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I will try and come up with a bit more lore. Sadly I am not the most prolific with ingenious ideas. :p

But will post updates and hopefully some story and lore ideas and maybe names for my characters in my thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363797-night-lords-warband-and-chaos-lost-and-the-damned/

I am quite happy if I get this thing painted...

And I finally made some lore up for my Night Lords war band. :D

As I go along, I hope to expand upon this.

Here goes:

The war band calls itself "Hrapa Vaq" which means "Shadow Birds" in old Nostraman.

Their leader is Battass Batturr, Creator of Monsters and Master of Possession.

He wields in his hands the power to communicate with the dark forces of the warp and has time and again ensured the survival of the war band, in ensuring that they always had a place to hide in the warp. His dark masters smile down on him and gladly take the blood, skulls and souls he provides for them.

One of his trusted lieutenants is Issim the Headtaker, Raptor terror lord and veteran of the long war. He is the twin brother of Menak, who was slain by a loyalist blade during the days of the Heresy and interred into an ancient Contemptor dreadnought. They still fight side by side, protecting and looking out for each other.

They are utterly loyal to the Battass Batturr, who saved their lives during a botched raid on an Imperial outpost using his dark magic.

They hide out in the warp, ready to strike on any unsuspecting Imperial victims.

Recently, they got news of a retreating fleet of Loyalists, who took severe losses against an incursion of Necrons. The loyalists battlebarge is severely damaged and has a barely functional Geller field. Battass Batturr is mustering his forces. Demonic shadows whisper in the dark.

He will conquer this damaged loyalist ship and take it for his own, and all Imperial Primaris Astartes on board will be killed, their armour and weapons stolen and defiled and be brought to better use. It will be a glorious sight.

Honestly, cannot wait to get my hands on the Indomitus box to desecrate that armour.

• 4 weeks later...

Dang I basically Forgot about this. Sorry guys. 

Edit: Catching up looks like I still have time to make sure my Second entry is good enough and work on the rest. 

Edited by TechCaptain

Edit: Catching up looks like I still have time to make sure my Second entry is good enough and work on the rest. 

Indeed you do! We've a week left of this phase, so you still have plenty of time to work on your vows. (I still have a squad or two to finish, but it can't take all that long, can it?:teehee: )

Indeed you do! We've a week left of this phase, so you still have plenty of time to work on your vows. (I still have a squad or two to finish, but it can't take all that long, can it?:teehee: )

For this phase I should mostly be done I think. 

Bloodmoon Hunters Wideview

Bloodmoon Hunters Primaris Master

Bloodmoon Hunter Lupine School

Mjorn Kastelan attacking Death Guard

Mjorn Techpriest Dominus

Bloodmoon Hunter Raptor School Hunter

Mjorn Techpriest Dominus

Bloodmoon Hunter Primaris Lt no helmet

Bloodmoon Hunter Primaris Lt another

Bloodmoon Hunter Primaris Lt

As you see before my temporary hiatus I was working hard lol. I will be painting more of course. 

So *scratches head* things haven't exactly gone to plan. I see now it's been a month or so when the first challenge ended and my original plans have truly gone out the window. Things have been chaotic outside of the norm let alone touched the warband I had been planning to work on. That is no excuse for the Iron Gauntlet though so I'm submitting myself for penitence in order to make up for my failures. I have recently gone back to an old DIY chapter of mine and begun working on some guys however I leave it up to you guys the sentence so to speak in order to reaffirm my commitment to the Iron Gauntlet.

So, three days to commit to this now that I have a little semblance of time from the COVID-19 Warp Jumps. Let's see if I can get Bronze and possibly a Silver!

I have a 8th Company Captain to actually build and paint for my Sons of Doom. He's called the "High Reaper" in their command structure... :D

Cambrius