Brush on primer for scenery. Gesso maybe?

Hi guys,

Due to the current situation, and it not being advisable for me to travel to my parents to use my airbrush set up, can anyone recommend a brush on primer that I can use for the plastic ZM scenery?

Is the black Gesso I can get from the local art store ok to use?

Cheers

I could be wrong, but I thought Gesso was relatively thick?  A quick Google suggests Badger Stynylrez applies via brush well (and is a good airbrush candidate should you be able to regain access at a later date).  I've used the Vallejo primers, and they work fine by brush too (black being the best, in my experience)

I could be wrong, but I thought Gesso was relatively thick?  A quick Google suggests Badger Stynylrez applies via brush well (and is a good airbrush candidate should you be able to regain access at a later date).  I've used the Vallejo primers, and they work fine by brush too (black being the best, in my experience)

Thanks for the reply.

I already have the Vallejo primer but I thought it might be a bit expensive to brush on 24 of the 1x1 ZM tiles plus all the walls and structures to go with it lol. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards waiting until I have airbrush access again :).

I meant to experiment with gesso on terrain but I put some on some old Orks and it passed the fingernail test.  I haven't tried layering paint over it but some people swear by gesso in the winter and summer when spraying is atmospherically challenging, especially in the humid American south.

The cheapest spray primer you can get at hardware stores works well on scenery, I prefer flat black myself as white primer usually coats terribly.  For metal I use Rustoleum aluminum primer as it saves me a step, I'm experimenting with black ink, medium, and flow aid to create my own cheap metal wash as well.