Dark Angels full robes army – how to do it?

Hannibal

Hi all,

I´m planning on running a full robed marines army – that´s one of the hobby dreams I´ve ever wanted to come true. Now with an uprising 30k gaming group in my area it might be the right time to start such an army.

Due to the fact that I actually play Daemons of the Ruinstorm I really have no clue how to start a marines army. Although I play against marines more often than not (still new to the game overall), I do not have an opponent who plays DA nor did I see a batrep including DA.

Well, that being said I´m pretty interested in 2-3 ways to run a marines army – and therefore a DA army:

1) Drop Pod Assault. Enough said here.

Pros: cool concept, army will be based on regular marines ie robed marines.

Cons: with Daemons I already field a "deepstrike" army that excells on the short to medium distance. I´m not sure wether this will lead to usual gaming experiences.

2) Deathwing. Yes, pure Deathwing. All about Terminators.

Cons: no robed marines, therefore it might be a no go. On the other hand due to Pride of the Legion RoW it is possible to run Terminators as well as robed marines, offering some different modelling opportunities.

3.) Ironwing or any kind of vehicle heavy army. I think there are different ways to run a vehicle heavy army (Ironwing, Amoured Spearhead,...) but I don´t know the pros and cons of these different army set ups.

I think that the above highlights my problems when it comes down to army building.

To give you a deeper insight on what I like to field (should be different from Daemons):

- shooting rather than melee

- vehicles rather than large number of dudes

- ROBED MARINES

- I do not fear elite armies!

Hope that someone can help me...

HTG

Most of the Dark Angels army specific rules seem to be melee-centric, so..... You're kind of not looking at the right legion if you want mostly shooting :lol:

2) Deathwing. Yes, pure Deathwing. All about Terminators.

Cons: no robed marines, therefore it might be a no go. On the other hand due to Pride of the Legion RoW it is possible to run Terminators as well as robed marines, offering some different modelling opportunities.

Errr.... What?

99120101096_DeathwingKnights01.jpg

Did you forget about the robed Terminator models that Games workshop sells? :lol:

If you're really interested in robes, 30k might not be your starting point with Dark Angels... 30k is kind of before they really got rolling with the robes. The best they did at the time is knightly suplices (kind of like a ceremonial cloth jacket with tails that went over their armor), and that was only common with the knights and aspirants from Caliban. The Terran Dark Angels didnt have any such customs (from what I've read in the fluff so far) and they were kind like a neo-futuristic roman legion. They tended not to do much in the way for embellishment in the line troops and only the officers showed any individuality.

Of course, this changed after the Lion was brought into the fold and he started rolling the Calibanite marines into the main line, but the robes weren't really a huge thing.

I'm sure as the new miniatures come out and then book 9 hits, more of their heraldry will be solidified. 

• 3 months later...

I just saw this and though you might find the following links useful for 3rd party robed bits:

https://www.spellcrow.com/space-knights-legs-in-robes-p-218.html

https://www.spellcrow.com/space-knights-torsos-with-a-tabards-p-207.html

https://bitsofwar.com/home/760-legionary-heads-hooded.html

https://bitsofwar.com/home/761-legionary-veteran-heads-hooded.html

And I think these are Primaris-sized:

https://bitsofwar.com/home/754-prime-legionaries-bodies-robed.html

https://bitsofwar.com/home/827-prime-legionaries-bodies-tabards.html

As for forces, Land Raiders and Razorbacks with Veteran Tactical Squads, Deathwing Companions, and Cenobite Terminator squads would make a nice mechanized force with good shooting and counter-punch potential.

Those Kromlech are indeed primaris (and larger, even). The helms work well. Just a thing to note, the First Legion was less robes and more tabards in the GC/Heresy. 

Ironwing is a solid RoW. Making even castraferrum pattern dreadnoughts (boxy) ones become really really spooky. With the new sabre tank filling in the cheap slot, it's very easy to "plug" the requirement for things with the tank keyword. A squadron (3) tanks of deimos predators with your choice of sponsons gets tank hunter and monster hunter, very very much little buffs. If you get the Machine Spirit upgrade, you can even split fire a bit.

Maybe look into three landraiders as well, fill them with some CQC nasties, or maybe even a missile heavy support squad. Keep them in the raider until they're safe enough to disembark and open up. 5 missiles (or 10) will make just about ANYTHING be spooked a bit, and all the more worthy taking if you have a flyer heavy local meta.

Just chiming in to add that Deathwing isnt terminator-only in 30k. If you want veterans sporting parts of their armor in white, go nuts.

Ironwing will help keep body count down, but the army is at it's best when you play it as a mechanized infantry list instead of an armored assault.

The plastic 40k kits have robes, with only feet showing. If you want to slap mk3 and mk4 arms+heads+backpacks onto your ballroom gowned marines, theres nothing stopping you. If you want to have the surplice+hood look as seen in the 30k artwork, you're best off getting by with greenstuff. It's just a thin scarf and cape, so you'll probably figure it out pretty quick.