IA: Angels of Penance [WIP] [IG 2020]

UtariOnzo

Very nice indeed, well written and nicely integrated with the Heresy DA stuff.

I like the idea of hunting all traitors, it's a logical step. Maybe you could add that recruits are particularly instilled with a hatred of these traitors during their training, it almost gives them a head start on how to feel about the Fallen, without actually revealing their own shame before the recruits are ready for it?

Love the crossover bit too, again makes it feel more integrated!

History updated. I'm feeling like this article is getting close to completion, which is really pleasing given the relatively short span of time I've spent on it. I'm debating if I should add in a template and 'sex' it up, but I'm a fan of "less is more".

I'm always a sucker for some inter-LIBER collaborations! :D

Onto the meat of the discussion, the concept and idea behind these sons of the Lion are wonderfully close to reality, yet distinctively unique, a tough balance to make so kudos to that. Especially when you add in these are a canon chapter, left bereft of any detail save for us to add ourselves. :tu: The idea of these marines being hellbent on wiping out all traitors, not just the <EXPUNGED!!! ORIGIN OF ORDER: THE ROCK> gives me happy fuzzies. ;)

Was the 5th Chapter's original name always the Angels of Penance, or was it the Storm Host? I might have misread or missed that somewhere. With the massive increase in Chaos activity and the likelihood of Chapters turning renegade or to the forces of chaos out of desperation or choice, how have the Angels of Penance reacted to this horrific situation, with their numbers depleted?

And on the subject of Fallen that on the very rare occasion seek to confess their sins and seek redemption, how do the Angels of Penance exact such redemption? By bolt round, sword or by sending them into combat to die in glory for the Imperium they had turned against, whether willingly or not?

Are there any fabled relics, apart from Grandmaster Ishmael's wargear that are venerated by the Chapter? Perhaps the Crozius of a repeatedly successful Interrogator Chaplain?

Quick typo addition too:

fade from the annuls annals of history

All in all, this is a great addition to the lore and history of a Chapter in dire need of some, the addition of models really adds to it as well.

Can't wait to see more. :D

Cambrius

I'm always a sucker for some inter-LIBER collaborations! :biggrin.:

Onto the meat of the discussion, the concept and idea behind these sons of the Lion are wonderfully close to reality, yet distinctively unique, a tough balance to make so kudos to that. Especially when you add in these are a canon chapter, left bereft of any detail save for us to add ourselves. :thumbsup: The idea of these marines being hellbent on wiping out all traitors, not just the <EXPUNGED!!! ORIGIN OF ORDER: THE ROCK> gives me happy fuzzies. :wink:

Thanks! It's been an idea cooking around in my head for a while, so it's nice to apply it to 'paper' so to speak.

Was the 5th Chapter's original name always the Angels of Penance, or was it the Storm Host? I might have misread or missed that somewhere. With the massive increase in Chaos activity and the likelihood of Chapters turning renegade or to the forces of chaos out of desperation or choice, how have the Angels of Penance reacted to this horrific situation, with their numbers depleted?

I alluded to the Chapter's Name around the Scouring period, dropping that they are Penitent Angels, and placed the Chapter's 'official' founding to the time of the original Chapter Master's vow that they would know no forgiveness till every heretic is slain or made to repent. I'll look and see if it maybe needs clearing up or expanding on though. As for the latter, I've detailed how the Angels received a solid batch of Primaris Marines with Guilliman's surprise visit to the Rock. Given that, along with three Official chapters, they were pretty knarlled up before this point, and with Ishmael's history of combining different 'Wing' formations, the Angels have been much much more willing to utilise these Nu-Marines to make up for gaps in their numbers. Naturally, for more bull headed and aggressive Sons of the Lion, they've responded to the situation the only way they know how, taking part in the Indominus Crusade at Chapter strength!

Are there any fabled relics, apart from Grandmaster Ishmael's wargear that are venerated by the Chapter? Perhaps the Crozius of a repeatedly successful Interrogator Chaplain?

That's probably one of the last bits I'll be looking at detailing, as many of these relics I'm going to be using for the Datasheet part of the challenge so I want to make sure I get it right. Details to come soon.

Quick typo addition too:

fade from the annuls annals of history

Woops! I'll fix that in a jiffy

Very nice indeed, well written and nicely integrated with the Heresy DA stuff.

I like the idea of hunting all traitors, it's a logical step. Maybe you could add that recruits are particularly instilled with a hatred of these traitors during their training, it almost gives them a head start on how to feel about the Fallen, without actually revealing their own shame before the recruits are ready for it?

Love the crossover bit too, again makes it feel more integrated!

Many thanks as well. Again, I'll look back and see if that needs expanding on. For the most part, I still see the Angels of Penance following their fellow Unforgiven in suppressing information, even on heretics. The Legacy of Caliban trilogy and a couple of the old codexes I recall detail general Company Dark Angels seem to barely even be aware of the Horus Heresy and the existence of Marines that have turned from the Emperor, so closely do the Sons of the Lion try to keep any threads that lead to the Fallen hidden. That said, I can see where being more open to acknowledging that traitor astartes exist and need to be purged/redeemed could lead to a 'softer' landing for those brothers who do end up exposed to the 'truth'. Will chew on this a bit I think.

Edited by UtariOnzo

• 2 weeks later...