What would it take to get you to use.... A monolith?

Beatnik cryptek

OK, the purpose of this these threads is to take a largely unused necron unit and ask what it would take to get you to use it more.

So starting with a unit conspicously absent from modern necon lists, the monolith.

What would get you to use a monolith? I have a suggestion: what if a monolith had the option to put up a lightning field if it did not move on a turn or it ut did not fire it's weapons?

A monoloth could opt to move and have a lightning field but not fire, or opt to not move, have a lightning field and fire it it routs energy from one primary system, propulsion or weapons, to power a 4++ save and MW on a 4+ to any unut within 1".

I bet that would see more monoliths on the tabletop!

Probably quantum shielding or some other method of damage reduction, like reduce all damage by one to a minimum of one.

Heck, I'd for sure run one if they got the Ghaz rule where you can only deal so many wounds to it a phase.

Also, if they gave it the vacuum back, I'd probably use one just for laughs to see what happens. Free mortal wounds, anybody?

It would take me finally making the scrap one I got years ago into something presentable.

Alternatively it would take me finding an exceptional deal on an old kit I don't think fits together very well (or rather the assemblies I've seen being sold are lacking in the "fits together well" department) but I have no problem waiting almost indefinitely on that front.

My New Monolith Wishlist

Keep at Current Points
Give the Monolith a 2+ Armor Save
Give the Monolith Quantum Shielding

Change the Gauss Flux Arcs to each be Rapid Fire 3 instead of Heavy 3
Change the Particle Whip to be 36" Range, Heavy 6, Strength 8, AP-3, D6 damage.

Allow a unit to be pulled through the eternity gate the turn it deploys

I agree with most of defensive ideas. It does need more survivability since it's a unit that wants to get mid/close range of it's enemies. At the moment, the Ghost Ark does the job much better. Also for those points, it needs deadlier guns.

I'd like it to get similar teeatment as the Space Marine transports. So that it gets to move, disembark the troops, which can then advance or move and charge.

It needs -1 to all damage and a flat 3 wound healed back each turn or something similar. Other benefits would be if the eternity gate could be used after deep striking or if it provided an aura buff like automatically reanimating one model for each unit within 6". Synergy or survivability, it needs something because it's too frail and does far too little damage to justify itself at the moment.

Ah! The good Ole days. I first got into necrons when my Eldar just couldn't hurt a monolith. Back then bright lances reduced armor above 12 to 12 but the monolith had a rule that kept it at 14 so my Eldar could only ever glance it and they had taken haywire grenades away from my good squads. So I joined the party. It was great, then editions changed and it's just gotten worse each time.

To take it:

Longer range and higher strength on main weapon

Invulnerable save or quantum shielding

2+ save (come on its a floating slab)

Or...

Big points reduction

I personally don't even own one although it would look really cool in the scheme for my army with all its flat panels. Its too big a point sink for the little it does.

Same points

2+ save and quantum shielding

5++

and a d3 living metal heal

I fully expect the upcoming PA to improve it

Looked over the datasheet quite recently. It's crazy that the Particle Whip has less strength, range, AP and damage than a Heavy Gauss Cannon (Heavy Destroyer).

Have the Gauss Flux Arc become Rapid Fire 3 and the Particle Whip S9 with flat 3 damage. Now we're talking hehe

It’s a model I’ve always wanted to get, but it’s just not quite there.

A good points reduction would make it useable, even with it’s current rules.

Being able to gate in units after it sets up on the battlefield. I often build lists trying to take advantage of our tomb world reserve rules, but it never seems to work out. All our transports are to expensive or to easy to destroy. And that leaves units “stranded” before they get to deploy.

I think it’s the only (non FW) vehicle that would actually benefit from the quantum shield rule.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty universal we all want a better defense. Makes sense because it is a floating brick and has an old legacy for being tough as nails. 2+ save, quantom, etc. All good ideas. Personally I'd like to see more units have higher toughness. GW has oddly been conservative on this strat under 8th. It would be interesting if the monolith went to toughness 10. I dont think this would be a big deal anymore considering all the wound bonuses some armies enjoy. Edited by Ahzek451

For me to take it I should simply finish re painting it :biggrin.:

I remember a "long" while back when I would often lose it first turn to a single Las-Cannon shot rolling 6's to hit then a 6 to wound and

bam....seeya later monolith :dry.:

so the survivability on todays standards (for my friendly games with mates) means i'll happily take it again, is it underpowered and over costed.. yes for sure!

lets hope 9'th Ed and the rumor of new Necron's brings a more beefier Monolith :sweat: 

Mithril 

@OP:  what would it take for me to use a monolith?  

owning one.  i have a small necron force.  a monolith is an inevitability.  because Fluff and narrative matters.

+1 like :thumbsup:  (I ran out of em today) 

Get a monolith anyway, even if they dropped it from the line it would make an awesome piece of terrain :tongue.:

Whoa. Interesting to see the points in this thread. Not too sure I agree with all the defensive propositions. 2+ armor save is fair, but that and/or quantum shielding? T8, 2+ save, and quantum shielding? Jeez, no way would that be fun to play against. Very very imbalanced.

A simple and effective way to make them viable on the battlefield is a 2+ armor save and a significant points reduction. Everything else is a bit much.

Mono is slow moving, not killy, hardly durable and has a troop shuffling mechanic that kills the reinforcements when the mono is popped.

If nothing changes but becoming nearly impervious to shooting (just cc the qs?) then at least it would be able to do the reinforcement thing.

Making things cheaper instead of stronger is boring. The unit is just as bad you just get to field lots of them.

I think folks may be downplaying what a bad spot the monolith is in.
STR 8 AP-2, d3 damage works for an IG battle cannon, because a leman russ gets to fire twice if it moved slowly, and gets to do so from extreme range.
The monolith, despite costing twice as much, has half the shots. 
Thus the monolith should get either flat 3 damage on the particle whip, or twice as many shots.

A 2+ save is so easily bypassed. It needs either a invuln save, QA or a FNP. Otherwise its a paperweight waiting to explode in your lines, and kill your reinforcements.

Edited by BaconCouch