Apply spraypaints with brush

Hello folks, I'm sure this has been discussed here more than once but (as always) I couldn't find anything fitting through forumsearch.

So after having enough of the insufficient colour match of Citadels Mechanicus Standard Grey from spraycan and from pot, I dicided to go the only way to really match the spraycan colour by simply spraying some paint into a pot and apply the colour to the model.

As long as I'm fast enough it works and perfectly matches with the sprayed areas. The only real problem is that it is not possible to clean the brush from the spray colour with pure water and I already sacrificed one brush to this method.

Do you have an idea how to clean the brush from the spraycan colour, will a simple brush cleaner do the work and if so which ones can you recommend. Also are there any tweaks to optimize the process? I.e. to keep the sprayed colour longer from drying, as water doesn't help to dilute it as I found of. Sorry I'm not even on a basic level informed nor interested in chemical processes of paints and am thankful for any advices on the topic..

Well, with chaos black, you undercoat with the spray then go over it again with the pot version, so when you make a mistake, you can fix it with the pot version and it matches. I don't understand why you would do it the way you are doing it man. 

Well, with chaos black, you undercoat with the spray then go over it again with the pot version, so when you make a mistake, you can fix it with the pot version and it matches. I don't understand why you would do it the way you are doing it man. 

I use the spray for two reasons: 1. time saving, 2. an smooth and thin coat of paint. Thus I am not willing to go over the whole miniature with another layer of paint though I am aware that many (including 'Eavy Metal) does it the way you describe. Also I like the MSG colour from spray way more than from pot, as it has a more cold blueish component like WW II german grey for instance.

I use the spray for two reasons: 1. time saving, 2. an smooth and thin coat of paint. Thus I am not willing to go over the whole miniature with another layer of paint though I am aware that many (including 'Eavy Metal) does it the way you describe. Also I like the MSG colour from spray way more than from pot, as it has a more cold blueish component like WW II german grey for instance.

Its really not an issue going over it again if the prime was light and you water down the paint from the pot for thin layer(s), via wet palette etc. It still retains the details.

Its really not an issue going over it again if the prime was light and you water down the paint from the pot for thin layer(s), via wet palette etc. It still retains the details.

I guess you're right. The issue with the blueish grey from spraycan versus the dark grey from pot remains though.

Do you have an idea how to clean the brush from the spraycan colour, will a simple brush cleaner do the work and if so which ones can you recommend. Also are there any tweaks to optimize the process? I.e. to keep the sprayed colour longer from drying, as water doesn't help to dilute it as I found of. Sorry I'm not even on a basic level informed nor interested in chemical processes of paints and am thankful for any advices on the topic..

A little bit of chemistry is unavoidable I'm afraid, but I'll try and keep it to a minimum!

I don't have an MSDS sheet for GW spray paint, but you can request one from GW customer support which will tell you exactly what is in it and the safety issues of each. I don't use them personally, so can't advise based upon direct experience. However, acrylic spray cans usually use a mix of organic solvents, so a thinner for oil-based paint should work to extend worktime a bit. i.e. white spirit/mineral spirits, or the less smelly 'odourless mineral spirit' - one such example is sansodor.

They do have a bit of an odour despite the common name, but much less, and less toxic.

Such a thinner will also help clean a brush somewhat while still wet, and then you can finish cleaning it with your usual brush cleaner; "Masters brush cleaner and preserver" or "Brush Magic" are both good examples that won't damage synthetic or natural hair brushes but are effective.

Note however that spray primers usually include fairly aggressive solvents such as acetone or xylene that allow the spray paint to 'etch' the surface of the plastic model very slightly so they can get a good grip for the paint. These solvents will dry out natural hair brushes and can damage some synthetic brushes (being as they are types of plastic themselves) so I wouldn't use an expensive brush for this.

An alternative would be getting pot-based mechanicus grey to match the spray better. I've seen previously that mixing dawnstone and mechanicus grey allows you to colour match the spray, but I can't remember the ratio I'm afraid.

Edited by Arkhanist

A little bit of chemistry is unavoidable I'm afraid, but I'll try and keep it to a minimum!

I don't have an MSDS sheet for GW spray paint, but you can request one from GW customer support which will tell you exactly what is in it and the safety issues of each. I don't use them personally, so can't advise based upon direct experience. However, acrylic spray cans usually use a mix of organic solvents, so a thinner for oil-based paint should work to extend worktime a bit. i.e. white spirit/mineral spirits, or the less smelly 'odourless mineral spirit' - one such example is sansodor.

They do have a bit of an odour despite the common name, but much less, and less toxic.

Such a thinner will also help clean a brush somewhat while still wet, and then you can finish cleaning it with your usual brush cleaner; "Masters brush cleaner and preserver" or "Brush Magic" are both good examples that won't damage synthetic or natural hair brushes but are effective.

Note however that spray primers usually include fairly aggressive solvents such as acetone or xylene that allow the spray paint to 'etch' the surface of the plastic model very slightly so they can get a good grip for the paint. These solvents will dry out natural hair brushes and can damage some synthetic brushes (being as they are types of plastic themselves) so I wouldn't use an expensive brush for this.

An alternative would be getting pot-based mechanicus grey to match the spray better. I've seen previously that mixing dawnstone and mechanicus grey allows you to colour match the spray, but I can't remember the ratio I'm afraid.

Thanks a lot, very helpful! I already thought about mixing the colour in the pot but thought my method is easier. I will reevaluate that decision.