How often do you bleed?

On occasion. I got a few good scars on my off hand from x-acto slips- but usually it isn't when the blade is sharp, it is when it is getting dull. That's when regularly applied force results in uneven cutting and makes it easy to lose control.

On occasion. I got a few good scars on my off hand from x-acto slips- but usually it isn't when the blade is sharp, it is when it is getting dull. That's when regularly applied force results in uneven cutting and makes it easy to lose control.

Pretty much this. I tend to use my blades well beyond when they should be replaced, if only because they lose their sharpness pretty quickly for me.

^ That's actually when I find blades to be most useful for shaving mold lines, after they've dulled they don't dig into the plastic as well so I don't get divots.  

If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of Xacto knife work I will actually put a bandaid on my right thumb to help because that's what I cut the most often.  I actually cut myself last night, happens every few weeks if I'm trying to blitz my way through stuff.  This happens most often with trying to cut vents or small details off and I put the bottom corner of the blade into my thumb.

Really odd: I actually cut myself a couple of weeks ago and blood was just dribbling out, my thumbtip went kinda numb.  When I washed it blood had run all the way down my thumb and I was expecting to see I cut the tip off, but once I cleaned it the wound had quickly clotted shut and there was no pain.  Weird.  :huh.:  

Edited by Fajita Fan

Occasionally, it's a result of the blade being sharper than remembered and going through something faster/easier, leading to an unexpected cut as a result. 

I've also wound up doing it through simply being too caught up in inspiration that I forget why we don't try cutting towards flesh with significant force. 

On one occasion, this lead to ... a lot of blood from a finger, to the point of feeling oddly light-headed, possibly as a result of up and down stairs a few times searching for something to staunch it so that I could get back to work (leading to a delightful trail I didn't notice til somebody er .. asked about the blood-streaks on the floor various places a few days later) . I considered supergluing the wound shut for rapid sealing but realized that this was probably a *seriously* dumb idea, so just made do with toilet paper. 

A proper stable cutting surface, box cutter style vs exacto style blades and a deep appreciation of good quality clippers have been helping keep my hands cut free. Small files to get at awkward flash as opposed to point cutting is less dangerous for you and your toys. New models are so good there is very little modification necessary. Most of my bad cuts were from planeing down lumpy seams on large warped pewter peices. Less cutting means less accidents. Hope this helps, would have saved clumsy young me a few stitches!

I cut myself but not so often that I don’t also have a tub of blood for the blood god handy

That's blood from that night a couple of weeks ago.  It's a pity I didn't have any Khorne models painted up, that would've worked better than Orks.  

2020 03 05

2020 03 05 (1)

Not that often as I got used to handle sharp things when I worked as a dental technician for 4 years. Learned a lot of useful things for the hobby as well as being careful with knives, circular saws and the lot. My fingers also developed a hard skin on the fingertips during that time.

Pretty rarely - I've got fairly decent blade control and can generally work out a way to cut things without risk of the knife impacting my fingers, but you all know how it is - sometimes the only way to stabilise a tiny component that needs cutting is to have your fingers in harm's way, and then, yes, I sometimes nick myself. I slightly caught my thumb last night, but I can't remember when the last time was before that, despite having been doing a lot of hobby as of late.

not so much these days as i use a mold line removed and proper clippers.

gone are the days (quite literally a few decades ago) i would make do with an old Stanley knife that i occasionally change the blade on and a pair of pet claw clippers. 

I do still use a knife now and then but it it significantly reduced and these days I am less gung ho about how i do things so less likely to skewer myself.

I've been away from the modeling side of things for some years now, but I'll never forget the one time I sliced open my thumb with an exacto knife while building a Chimaera for my Daemonhunters army. I fainted!

At the star, a lot of times. Now its rare, i learn thanks to the pain to use properly my tools. I cut one of my knucles last week and i still dont know how. I remember my Emperor Champion black sword ( the metal version ) come really sharp and hurt a lot when i cut my thumb whit that...ouch i still have shivers in my spine when i remember it.

been a long time but i do seem to remember the trophy racks on the 2nd ed metal chaos terminators, and the plastic ones too actually, could draw blood if they caught you wrong

I’ve been ran through by those and 3rd ed dark eldar warriors many a time.

I never bleed...when I'm painting. I've had a lot of small cuts, and a couple deep ones, probably more than average because I like to convert and modify, and sometimes it's tiny pieces that would probably be better to use Green Stuff to make...but I've never bought or used it lol

If you aren't bleeding for this hobby, you are kind of doing it wrong :wink:

Every time I switch to a new blade, I'll end up cutting or stabbing myself to some measure of severity. Often its just small annoying cuts, and other times I'll have to quit hobby for a few days (or weeks) while my finger or thumb heals. My left thumb takes the brunt of the damage, and is a rather scarred... 

I've also slipped with my dremel and drilled into the ring finger of my right hand. I hit bone. That hurt a lot more than any of the other cuts I've had.

No, I take that back. Worst was when I fumbled the knife after changing a blade and it landed in the top of my big toe...