How are Wulfen now?

Hi all.

Just wondering how you are all doing fielding units of Wulfen, especially using the ambush/DS stratagem?

I have 10 of them to build and want them to be my main sledgehammer unit, backe up by a Terminator Wolf Lord for the re-rolls. Heck of an investment in terms of points, but very thematic for the sort of list I'd like to run.

I would probably go for a Wolf Lord with Jump Pack as he will have a much easier time keeping up with them.

The difficulty with Wulfen going "On the Hunt" is that you need a valuable target within around 15" of the board edge. To make a charge you then need to roll 9+ on 2D6. Even wit their reroll, that is only a 48% chance of success.

I still prefer putting them in a Stormwolf for delivery and putting shooty squads like Aggressors on the hunt.

You could try running them on foot with a Jump Pack character but you will need some (or all) of the following things for this to work.

1. Lots of Stormshields, they will take fire!

2. A Rune Priest with Jump Pack and Storm Caller + the Cloaked by the Storm stratagem to keep them alive.

3. Transhuman Physiology stratagem. This will provide significant protection against S5+ weapons.

4. A Wolf Priest will provide Healing balms will keep them alive a bit longer and chant Litany of Hate to reroll all melee attacks (not just 1s).

I would also run a distraction. Use an Invictor Warsuit or 2 and deploy them aggressively. If your opponent panics, he may split his fire between them allowing your Wulfen to get close quickly. Even if you opponent focuses on the Wulfen, the Invictors will make a real mess of his lines with their Incendium cannons and power fists.

I play Blood Angels as well as Space Wolves so I have some practice with using big hammer units. There are 2 ways to get the mileage out of this sort of unit.

1. Find a way to make them hard to block/shoot before they arrive (character screening for Bjorn, Stormwolf delivery, DOA etc).

2. Go for threat overload. Throw enough dangerous units in his face quickly that he can't stop them all. Worst case only half of them get through but they will still be enough to inflict serious damage. Best case, your opponent panics and splits his fire meaning that all your dangerous units reach the enemy with enough strength remaining to pose a serious threat.

@ 1500p I run my Wulfen Pack in a LR or LRC with 2 WulfenDreads, Björn , Murderfang and 2 Rhinos.

The 4 Dreads are taking so much attention that the LR© is almost always ignored and so i have a T2 charge practically every game.The Rhinos eat so much overwatch its almost a Joke at this point.

@ Higher Point games i include a Stormwolf and its the Enemy Army that decides in which they go. But most of the time they go into the LR© cause it makes the SW to much of a big target if they are in it.

I really hope we get a 3d6 Charge Strat/Relic/Litany this would make Wulfen utterly great

I really hope we get a 3d6 Charge Strat/Relic/Litany this would make Wulfen utterly great

We should be getting Canticle of Hate which gives +2" on the charge and +3" on Consolidation moves. Making a 7" charge with a reroll is much more reliable (nearly 83%).

The tricky bit here is that Canticles need to be chanted at the beginning of a Battle Round meaning that the Wolf Priest can't be inside a transport if it is going to work. This suggests a Priest with a Jump Pack while the Wulfen go in a LR or foot-slog may be the way forward. 3" disembark, 7" move, 2D6+2" charge with rerolls gives a threat range of 19-20" on average. Not quite into your opponent's DZ unfortunately but if you opponent moves forward or have deployed any infiltrators, they can be minced.