Spears and Tartaros Terminators

Hello all, I just want to say thank you for reading this and letting myself join this community

i have been an collector of Warhammer models for almost 10 years now, but my painting still sucks lol

Anyways, I was able to come upon a Tartaros terminator squad, and I am trying to figure out how I could justify painting them up using Emperors Spears livery

I am in essence asking if there would be a way possible for this Chapter to have these relic armors

One idea I’m been tossing around in my head is that since they are an offshoot of the Ultramarines, that a squad fought with the Ultras with such distinction that the surviving Spears were given the armor for what they did in aiding the Ultramarines

does anyone else have an idea of how I could justify with backstory this unit?

The Ultramarines or another Second Founding Chapter.  My Chapter is an Ultima Founding Chapter, as part of their backstory they had to find alternative means of filling their armory, so they went Relic hunting.  In one instance they found and returned over 300 suits of Cataphractii armor to the Imperium, keeping only a small handful for themselves.  

Although it's unlikely prized suits of Terminator armour would be gifted in a large number, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps you could amend it - Ultramarines and several other Chapters who are on a Crusade together all donated a single suit to commend the sacrifice of several Emperor's Spears that saved many many Battle Brothers in a void engagement or something? Like one for each Battle Brother who sacrificed himself.

Although the Spears are a 25th Founding chapter I think there are numerous ways you could go about it. Firstly your explaination is perfectly feasible as it's always been a tradition to use armour as a means of signifiying great deeds. 

Other reasons could be a gift on the creation of the chapter, relocating lost tech from the Great Crusade such as reclaimng it from a space hulk. Could be each suit came about in a different way, one could be gifted, two could be found at an ancient outpost, one was put together from parts, etc.

There isn't really a truly wrong or right way of going about it because 40k is so vast and full of so many possibilities.

As the unit I was able to procure, only had 5 suits....I think your idea Capt. Idaho is a solid one

a squad of 5 Spears, performed a mission solo that saved countless lives or brought back a treasured relic to the Ultramarines

amd in recognition the only surviving member of the squad was promoted to Sgt and given the suits to form a new squad with

Well, the Spears and the Ultramarines don't really see eye to eye, since that one time the Spears literally fought the Aurora Chapter over the honor of a victory and the Ultras had to break it up and sided with the tank-loving green boys. As a proud chapter of the Adeptus Vaelarii, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that the imperium could award a Spears warhost with some valuable relics after a particularly epic victory brought on by them. They're also really close to the Celestial Lions (The best boys) who are, in turn, really close to the Black Templars. Maybe hopping along on a crusade with the Templars and impressing a High Marshal could have won them those suits! Whatever sounds super cool to you is the one, man.