Trukks vs Slogging

Kaldoth

So, I've been stuck on a middle eastern vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam for the past 9 months. I've got a few more to go until I'm home and able to spend entirely too much of this deployment money on little plastic men :lol:

All that said, it's been quite a while since I've played on the tabletop. Last time I was able to play my Orks was well before PA started coming out. I'm curious as to how the meta overall has shifted in regards to slogging vs 12 man squads of trukk boyz.

I was playing in 1500 point games with three large blobs of slugga/Choppa boyz, but with all sorts of armies (especially muhreenz) able to put out ridiculous amounts of shots I'm wondering if that's the best option anymore?

The biggest problem with Orks has always been longevity. Our armor saves suck and we have little in the way of mitigation. KFFs and Painboys are better than nothing, but with 5++ being the best most of our infantry can get I'm wondering now how smaller squads of boys in trukks fare. If you use them, how does their combat output average out compared to larger Boyz squads? Do you find despite the smaller numbers they still do as much or more damage once they finally get stuck in because of the protection offered by the trukks? Or is the difference negligible? Or do the trukks just get plastered and the boyz waxed before they can do anything?

I know with smaller mobs you get way less value out of endless green tide and mob up, as well as grot shields being out the window. Then again the large mobs is how I was playing before, so it's safe to say I'm biased towards that play style and using those stratagems.

Thoughts?

My problem with trukk boyz is that they just don't have enough attacks, I feel, and are incredibly fragile once they are out of the trukk. Your experience may vary, but I was supremely underwhelmed when I tried them. That said, it was before the codex, and Deathskullz really benefits from the multiple, smaller units. Using the re-rolls on the Nob with a Klaw while having the 6++ might just be the thing to do.

You'd probably still want a big unit of boyz to Da Jump, though you really want that unit to be Evil Sunz to greatly increase their charge chance. I'd love to hear someone honestly try a trukk list.

I am like you Kaldoth, I have almost always played a green tide with tons of boyz. I think after playing them for so long I definitely feel I have a bias towards setting up and playing an army like that. I have tried some different concepts for reducing models but every game I have played so far my immediate reaction after the game is "I should have taken more boyz". Because of this I am just going back to green tide. 

It is not just the weak number of attacks toaa, there is also morale rules. Orks benefit greatly from their morale rules, 12 boyz only have a morale of 12. 20-30 boyz have great morale as you know! I never ran trucks before because 12 boyz are easy to kill, 12 boyz do not benefit as well from morale rules and 12 boyz assault is as you said kind of weak. Also in the past trucks were easy to blow up. My understanding (at least in previous editions) is the trucks were more for powerklaw delivery systems with the boyz being used as ablative wound meat shields. Not sure how that works out in the current edition. I am adding a truck for some elites squads, but not for my troops. My boyz will be walking. At least for now. I am considering 150-180 boyz right now. The most I have fielded so far in the current edition is 90. I think I need more. 

I wouldn't mind hearing about how a truck list works out. 

I've played green tide for years but found trukk boys to work really well for me. My trukk boys are all shoota boys. Being in a trukk makes them more or less immune to damage and LD tests. I think my last list has 3 mobs of 11, something weird where it wasn't 12 in each trukk but I needed the space in there. It really depends on the list construction and your overall plan. 
I found that using both large foot mobs and trukk boys as above worked. With clan traits and stratagems I think it would only be better. It also depends on just how competitive your playing.  My list had 2 burna bombas and two blits bombas so I could dish out silly amounts of mortal wounds, the boys were working together with their shooting, being so few Orks. 
Give it a try if you've got the models. 

In my experience the truck does not increase survivability unless you are target saturated with vehicles already. Orks often provide target priority problems for their opponents but trucks are soft kills that can strand units where they do not want to be. Too pricey for my taste as well.