Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting Thousand Sons 1K pts. Looking for Advice

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

bctycho

bctycho

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

I'm starting up a Thousand Sons army to get back into the hobby, but I'm struggling to come up with an army list that satisfies me. My current build is as follows:

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons)

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Magic

HQ

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch

Doombolt, Infernal Gaze, Tzeentch's Firestorm

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch (Warlord: Devastating Sorcery)

Arcane Focus, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Warlord

Troops

Rubric Marines

Aspiring Sorcerer (Weaver of Fates)

4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun

Rubric Marines

Aspiring Sorcerer (Glamour of Tzeentch)

Rubric Marines

Aspiring Sorcerer(Glamour of Tzeentch)

Tzaangors

Brayhorn

Twistbray

19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

Elites

Helbrute

Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Helbrute

Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

My plan is to have the Hellbrutes camp the backfield and hunt tanks, while the tzaangors screen, Rubrics grab the midfield, and Ahriman and the Sorcer provide psychic artillery

I like the heavy investment in Rubrics. As they are a really iconic TS unit, and I want my Space Marines to be primarily Space Marines

The things that worry me the most are a lack of strong anti-tank options, as the only strong and reliable options in the codex are Predators and Helbrutes.

This worry only grows as I work on building up to 1.5 and eventually 2k, where I feel the need for anti-tank grows beyond my capacity to bring it to the table.

Any advice?

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,232 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

Looks good so far. If you can find the points, maybe replace the Exalted Sorcerer with a DPoT.

gallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Calamity Salmon

Calamity Salmon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
You're right to worry about anti-tank, it's our main issue as the Sons of Prospero, but we're not totally helpless. Lascannon Helbrutes and Predators are for sure our best bet, but they're also the most expected and tend to get focused down rather quickly, unless you can provide something scarier. What I like to do, personally, is instead run two Heldrakes with Baleflamers to scream up the board, preferably buffed with Diabolic Strength, and tie up as much of my opponent's armor as I can. I also run Magnus in my own list, and he naturally tends to draw most of the fire. It's quite gimmicky, but seems to work well enough in my local meta.
I feel that the main trick with Thousand Sons is to provide just enough threat overload to keep your opponent's attention while you grind them away with mortal wounds.
  • bctycho likes this

bctycho

bctycho

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

Thanks for your advice.

I put some more thought into the idea of threat overload, and came up with the following 1500-point list:

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons)

Cult of Magic

HQ

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch

Doombolt, Infernal Gaze, Tzeentch's Firestorm

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch (Warlord)

Arcane Focus, Devastating Sorcery, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Temporal Manipulation, Tzeentch's Firestorm

Troops

2*Rubric Marines

Aspiring Sorcerer

Rubric Marines

Aspiring Sorcerer

6x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun

Tzaangors

Twistbray w/ Tzaangor Blades

19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

Brayhorn

Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons)

Cult of Duplicity

HQ

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Diabolic Strength, Malefic talon, Warptime, Wings

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch

Diabolic Strength, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience

Heavy Support

Chaos Predator

Predator autocannon

Two heavy bolters

2*Maulerfiend

Lasher tendrils

The idea is to hide the Maulerfiends and DP behind cover, and pop them forward, turn one, with help from Sorcerous Facade on a maulerfiend, and warptime on the Prince. I’ll probably use the Magister stratagem on the DP to give him the ability to advance and charge.

This should hopefully panic my opponent, as another maulerfiend shows up turn two, and my sorcerers switch to flinging mortal wounds at my opponent.

The Predator is there to give me some long-range firepower and fill out a spearhead, though I’m not 100% stuck with the idea of one.

Come 2,000 points I plan on adding in another battalion with the cult of time, and a 10-man squad of Rubrics for Risen Rubricae, and a squad of Scarab-Occult Terminators to deep-strike in, and hopefully reinforce a feeling of panic in my opponent.

Does this sound like a good strategy? I’m not looking to compete in tournaments, but I don’t want to get curb-stomped either.

Calamity Salmon

Calamity Salmon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Cult of Time is a great choice, probably my favorite new toy for the Thousand Sons. Makes our dusty old boys nice and sticky on the board.
If you rearrange some HQ's, giving the Cult of Time's relic to the Daemon Prince is really fun and reinforces that threat overload; imagine being the guy who finally shot down your opponent's DP, only for them to resurrect at full wounds in the same spot. It's tasty.
Only other thing I have to add at the moment is maybe try and find points for at least the Soulreaper Cannon, if not a few Warpflamers as well. Soulreapers are just really nice extra dakka, and Rubrics/Scarab Termies already ignore the -1 for moving and shooting with heavies. Warpflamers, on the other hand, are MEAN in overwatch. A really nice setup is two Warpflamers and a Soulreaper in a squad of ten Rubrics, as the Soulreaper makes up for the shots you lose by replacing two inferno bolt guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users