Saga of the Beast: Rules

Iain_Stormeyes

Don’t know about the video preview, but Goonhammer have their review of Saga of the Beast up now.

I’m very glad I magnetised the power Fists on my Intercessor Pack Leaders in case we got Thunder Hammers for them!

Edited by Valdr Fell-fist

Iron breaker helm auto completes your warlords deed, to buff it to anaura if it kills something.

Wolf tail is cool, -2 to all psykic tests within 18"

Twolves get a mortal wound charge via strats?

Wolf gaurd get a mortal wound on 6 via strats

The thing about the character is you can not declare him but if he is a cheap little guard character or something you could have piled near him and knock him with the helm. Also helps finish off a weak unit that you want to clear so your units can hit the next line of things.

I'm a little confused as to why Ulrik didn't get an update in this book. Looks like we will have a day 1 FAQ on our hands like Shadowsun. Looks like litanies will fall into line with all others but if Ulrik can keep his oath and chant then we might see more use of him.

Wow, so first of all what is this feeling having solid competition for the relic slot?

This stuff sounds pretty great actually and seems like it’s going to open up a lot of synergies and plays for us. I’m excited to dive it.

Wolg Lord with stalker bolt rifle and Morkais Teeth Bolts. If you hit cause 1 MW and all attacks re-roll to wound 1 against target unit. Lieutenant buff anywhere sounds really good.

Wow, so first of all what is this feeling having solid competition for the relic slot?

This stuff sounds pretty great actually and seems like it’s going to open up a lot of synergies and plays for us. I’m excited to dive it.

Wolg Lord with stalker bolt rifle and Morkais Teeth Bolts. If you hit cause 1 MW and all attacks re-roll to wound 1 against target unit. Lieutenant buff anywhere sounds really good.

I was thinking the same but a BL to keep cost down if he’s going to be a marker light :)

It makes my OG 8th BL long Fang babysitter pretty nasty now.

storm song relic

- replaces master crafted stalker bolt rifle

36" heavy 1 str 6 ap -3  dam 3 ( can snipe )

wyrdbane relic

rune sword only

+1 str  ap -4 damage d3

( reroll wound rolls, if target is psyker treat damage as a flat 3 (instead of d3))

runic armor

2+, 5 + invuln

mountain breaker

(infantry only)

- after you've resolved the characters attacks, before consildation, select one enemy unit within 1" of the character, roll a D6, on a 2+ the target takes D3 mortal wounds.

- if this ability kills a character, and if the bearer of this relic is your warlord, treat your warlords deed as complete

storm shield costs

blizzard shield ( 15 )

characters     ( 10 )

T wolves         ( 5 )

everyone else ( 2 )

Hey! Twolves finally got them cheaper after what 2 years? I see a real use case for running them cheap with chainsword/shield.

Cheap is the way to go now, use them to clear chaff and if they survive take on the tanks behind with the 1CP strat for two damage teeth and claws. Maybe spend another CP to re-roll wound rolls of 1 and they can become pretty dangerous to just about anything.

Hey! Twolves finally got them cheaper after what 2 years? I see a real use case for running them cheap with chainsword/shield.

and combo the wolf guard strat to generate mortal wounds + they now have a mortal wound charge and emergency bite.

which I take is what they gave them to eat through horde armies

Sorta disappointed that there was no Successors strategem, given that now the Wolves apparently have Primaris Successors. On the other hand I had already expected that as GW seems to be ignoring that whole subject outside of Black Library.

Sorta disappointed that there was no Successors strategem, given that now the Wolves apparently have Primaris Successors. On the other hand I had already expected that as GW seems to be ignoring that whole subject outside of Black Library.

Given how that went with Blood Angels, you're probably better off not having any successor rules...they seem to be very limiting in the case of non-codex chapters.

while imnot a fan of our super doctrine, I will just treat it as a bonus.

you cant really rely on that, if you hit 6's  cool, if not my list needs to be good enough without it

thats also why im not a fan of incursors, being reliant on a 6 isn't being reliable

im trying to make out any other point changes but its pretty hard to read the youtube vids

Edited by Triszin

while imnot a fan of our super doctrine, I will just treat it as a bonus.

you cant really rely on that, if you hit 6's cool, if not my list needs to be good enough without it

thats also why im not a fan of incursors, being reliant on a 6 isn't being reliable

im trying to make out any other point changes but its pretty hard to read the youtube vids

Therell only be the points for new/updated units?

The Stormfang strat is amazing, shane stormwolves dont get it

Given how that went with Blood Angels, you're probably better off not having any successor rules...they seem to be very limiting in the case of non-codex chapters.

That's more of a personal thing for me. I only play homebrew chapters. If I ever played Blood Angels or Space Wolves, I would create a successor chapter first before any more plans.

Of course in a friendly game nobody would care, but it's still annoying for me.

Yeah, after reading the goonhammer review I’ve got mixed feelings.

I am really happy that we definitely get some nice relics to choose from now, a lot of really great close combat related buffs, and one or two small shooting buffs, but I feel like it falls just short by leaving out any way to help us make it into combat before being shot off the table or whittled down to be too weak to finish the job.

It feels like getting a lot of cool toys for Christmas but you can’t really play with them yet because your parents didn’t get batteries. Only the batteries may never come. So you can’t really complain that you didn’t get anything nice (because you did, I mean you really did) and so you feel like you have to hide your disappointment so that you’re not called ungrateful.

We’ll see. Maybe it will be enough and my disappointment will fade as I start winning a few more games. I think I’ll try to stay cautiously optimistic that this helps on the tabletop until I’ve had a chance to play some games.