Saga of the Beast: Rules

Iain_Stormeyes

Invictors are very useful because they are a threat an opponent must deal with immediately, so it often leaves your other advancing elements unscathed for a turn or two.

I agree. They are a self-deploying threat your opponent cannot afford to ignore. They also block shooting to Characters providing another line of defence for heroes like Bjorn.

So actually looking at getting my first primaris when im ready for wolves. Never used them yet and honestly still getting used to what everythings called (seriously....so many I's,). But having looked over the new release leaks, it looks like ill finally have to embrace some primaris units (Ive already said over on the other thread im not super keen on the new fluff, but from a gaming perspective I just cant see how you can hope to remain competitive with no primaris at all - My plan is to use a ton of mkIII head and shoulders i have to make counts as 'primaris grey slayers')

What do people think of intercessors VS incursors for SW. With incursors being able to inflitrate and potentially generate 2-3 hits in combat on 6s they seem like a pretty fun all round unit. I used to run infiltrating grey hunters back in 6th (with redmaw rules), and these seem like they could fill a similar fun role.

My main issue with them would be keeping them alive until turn 3 to get the most out of there CC (but also bringing lots of dreads so that should help with target saturation).

Intercessors though just seem like a great all round unit (and are cheaper), im thinking one unit with stalkers to camp the backfield, and then 2 with bolt rifles and TH for midfield duty

Edited by PeteySödes
Keeping to rules

So has anyone been able to confirm if we get any additions to our Chapter Tactic in the new book? I know it was a question floating around but I haven't seen anything as of yet which makes me think we didn't.

Edited by PeteySödes
Keeping to rules

What do people think of intercessors VS incursors for SW. With incursors being able to inflitrate and potentially generate 2-3 hits in combat on 6s they seem like a pretty fun all round unit. I used to run infiltrating grey hunters back in 6th (with redmaw rules), and these seem like they could fill a similar fun role.

My main issue with them would be keeping them alive until turn 3 to get the most out of there CC (but also bringing lots of dreads so that should help with target saturation).

Intercessors though just seem like a great all round unit (and are cheaper), im thinking one unit with stalkers to camp the backfield, and then 2 with bolt rifles and TH for midfield duty

I think that both Intercessors and Incursors work well for Wolves but in different roles. Intercessors work well in any of the following roles:

1. Backfield Objective campers. Either with regular or stalker bolt rifles.

2. Auto bolt rifles and a TH on the leader to move up into the mid field (worth spending a CP to make these guys veteran intercessors IMHO)

Incursors can work well as midfield objective holders but I think they are best used to put early pressure on the opponent. Between ignoring cover and auto-wounding 6s in combat, they can be a definite thorn in your opponent's plans. They can screen well but Infiltrators do that better with their 12" bubble of no-Reserves.

So whats worth taking with a non primaris force? I have seen a few people on the interwebs mention Thunderwolves with Stormshields and chainswords may have a use now, and maxed out Blood Claws buffed with certain bits, but I only take advice from people here whose tactical genius has never let me down in the past and not facebook groups. Got a Wolves vs Nids game lined up after Nurgles Rot quarantine ends and cant have the Vilka loosing now can we. 

Due to lockdown I think my UK pack brothers may need cheering up, so heres a happy puppo  doing what they do best... 

1623690_1456491261297896_773576219361304

I think that both Intercessors and Incursors work well for Wolves but in different roles. Intercessors work well in any of the following roles:

1. Backfield Objective campers. Either with regular or stalker bolt rifles.

2. Auto bolt rifles and a TH on the leader to move up into the mid field (worth spending a CP to make these guys veteran intercessors IMHO)

Incursors can work well as midfield objective holders but I think they are best used to put early pressure on the opponent. Between ignoring cover and auto-wounding 6s in combat, they can be a definite thorn in your opponent's plans. They can screen well but Infiltrators do that better with their 12" bubble of no-Reserves.

Intercessors are great for outflanking and bullying rear guard troops etc.

Rapid fire S4 AP2 (tactical doctrine remember)

My concern is that with more time to look at our book that GW will issue a day one FAQ that makes the already printed books worthless because you will have to use PDF to supersede what is in the actual book.

But GW would never do that to Space Wolf players, right? 

A few videos I have watched previewing the book have confirmed that they printed the book with old information so a day 1 FAQ should be available....:dry.:

Edited by PeteySödes
Keeping to rules

Will they release the book on digital? Is that even plausible if their entire company is in lock down?  I've never bought a digital codex or rules book because I want to support my local gaming store but this could be the exception.

https://www.goonhammer.com/saga-of-the-beast-the-lore/

Is this thread only for rules or could it also be rules and lore :biggrin.:

Goonhammer has two recent articles on Saga of the Beast up, one is a competitive look from seekingasaga 'the meta list guy' who mostly loved the update, the other article is about the lore of the book.  It sounds like we will be getting some epic tales in saga of the beast, one tale is a mad max fury road style story with speed freeks getting boarded where thunderwolves jump from vehicle to vehicle (so yes they should be able to climb those pesky ruins!), however ghaz and ragnar are absent from the lore apart from the rules.  Either they are in the boxed set or they are completely left to the outcome of the dice.

Edited by Harald Fairmane

Goonhammer has two recent articles on Saga of the Beast up, one is a competitive look from seekingasaga 'the meta list guy' who mostly loved the update, the other article is about the lore of the book.  It sounds like we will be getting some epic tales in saga of the beast, one tale is a mad max fury road style story with speed freeks getting boarded where thunderwolves jump from vehicle to vehicle (so yes they should be able to climb those pesky ruins!), however ghaz and ragnar are absent from the lore apart from the rules.  Either they are in the boxed set or they are completely left to the outcome of the dice.

There was either an audio drama or short story I read where Thunderwolves were moving in buildings or walls. If TWC could move in ruins it would make them far more viable on the table. It is a small change that would be truly welcome.

Is this thread only for rules or could it also be rules and lore :D

There was either an audio drama or short story I read where Thunderwolves were moving in buildings or walls. If TWC could move in ruins it would make them far more viable on the table. It is a small change that would be truly welcome.

Thunder from Fenris? https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/quick-reads/thunder-from-fenris-eshort.html

I'm actually really thinking about using the wolf tail talisman on a character.

Have a 18" -2 to wyrd tests is fantastic

This could be really strong against some armies. If you take this as a 2nd relic via the stratagem, I can see real value in swapping this in or out depending on your opponent.

Against a non-psychic opponent, maybe taking the Talisman of Storms instead could be really nasty.

Thunder from Fenris? https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/quick-reads/thunder-from-fenris-eshort.html

That might be it. It has been a while since then but Thunderwolves moving with buildings makes sense. Imagine the impact that would have on the tabletop if TWC could move in ruins. It isn't overpowering but would make a unit more valuable.