Two battalions is a thought I've had since 8th, just to see the minimums of Troops choices fleshed out as the base from Grey Mage remains, 1 Troops choice per 500 points, and it still works in 8th.
In said 8th, how and where those Troops choices go is going to be important, as it will directly control access to what else one can squeeze in.
To play back and forth a little bit...
Two Battations, pros, cons:
- LOTS of options, provides 10 CP, BF is great with this one
- 0 to 2 more HQ's
- 0 to 6 more Troops
- 0 to 12 Elites, all possible
- 0 to 6 Fast Attack
- 0 to 6 Heavy Support
- 0 to 4 Fliers
- 4 HQ, 6 Troops, MINIMUM - Cheap or Expensive? What roles? What missions? What do each do? Redundancy/ies?
- Patrol formations at times may work better, but provide no bonus CP
- Look for Vanguard, Spearhead, and Flyer formations to try to gain some CP?
- Vanguard and Spearhead may just be better, but...
- +3 CP per Battalion is nothing to sneeze at; the tax however may be too hard to meet, unless one wants/needs to run MSU, which can be good, larger units just need to be better*
= User's choice. If the mission calls for you to use Two Battalions as a deployment base, go for it? Test it out, the benefit of Battalions when compared to the minimums for a Brigade cannot be understated: the points sink needed for ONE Brigade, let alone MORE, is just insane in a regular game!
1 - I was/am still one of those that advocate that, when the need arises and it can be met, Two Battalions may, MAY, be a good to great thing!
2 - To say it bluntly, well, type it, Battalions are no different in scope and number to any force for any game: get the most mileage out for your army. If it's LOTS of CP's, and the controlling player will be aided by having two Battalions, go for it if it can work for you?
3 - Just make sure you remember all of your rules!
4 - As PA: 6 is going to enliven non Primaris models for a while, please take into account that...
The most mileage you as a player can get ouf of that nets you the access to the Pro list of options.
Do so, and you have a LOT of FOC slots to play with, which will only be limited by your points total and points pinching.
Do not, if it is of no benefit to you.
Food for thought, I hope.
*This is a thread all its own, sadly.
Edit: CP wrong
Edited by Karack Blackstone, 03 April 2020 - 03:16 PM.