Prot does the Scars

Prot

Well, well, well..... I bet you guys never thought you'd see this thread get updated?

Well behold the Outriders:

gallery_2760_16235_2503.jpg

That's a big picture... it shows off lots of flaws, but White Scars really don't care for such minor concerns.

gallery_2760_16235_499459.jpg

gallery_2760_16235_291377.jpg

The truth is I had primed these guys White before I found out I was getting my UM's back and before the sale of my painted WS.

Is it insane to actively play/paint two marine armies? Don't answer that. :)

Nice bikes!

To answer your question; no it’s not insane. I paint 4 armies at the same time. I guess it quadruples the overall-cost of the hobby amongst other things but keep me from burning out and loose interest. On my board I have white scars, alpha legion, iron hands and grey knights

That's a good point. I'll get to a point where I can't stand painting the blue hues of the Ultra's, and the stark contrast in styles doing the White Scars is a perfect brake from that.

Yes, I’m a fast painter but the downside of that is burning out, and to have different armies really prevent that; usually I paint 1 week white scars -> 1 week iron hands and so on, it’s nice!

That’s good advice. I am going to stop feeling silly about doing 2 marine armies. :tu:

ive been playing my WS again with some UM fill ins and they actually feel quite different than UM and only a few units really overlap. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys it's been a while.

I'm slowly doing up models I have laying around, and a few of them are from friends.... I just had another game vs. DG too... man that has become my nemesis!

med_gallery_2760_16235_142228.jpg

The Khan!!!!

med_gallery_2760_16235_240374.jpg

med_gallery_2760_16235_131935.jpg

Really enjoyed doing the face this time. I took a bit of a characterful approach to the colouring and facial structure.

Thanks! The speeder is a cool model actually. Lots of fun to work with.

Are the pilots easy to paint separately?   

Is this unit worth 170 points?  I just dont think so but I have no experience with or against it.

No it's definitely over pointed. It is super fun because of the new terrain you see on most tables... you find you have these great opportunities to just pop past obscuring terrain and try to overload something. BUT you have to overload it, because these Speeders are absolute paper. 

I love the model... the stand is too high though so it is extremely hard to hide it. In pictures I don't think this comes across very well, but even though I haven't technically measured, I believe the top of the turret measures above 5" making it really difficult to use single floor ruins as obscuring.

The Pilots aren't bad. What I did was glue the edge guard bars separately to make them more accessible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow I posted this in March of 2021 and never posted pics. lol

Okay, the unit is done, it's time to post pics.... just a bit of a warning, these guys are extremely gritty looking. I'm also working on ATV's so they are about halfway done and honestly in every game they've been a bust. 

I still don't have Vanguard, but I'm trying to stay away from them for now. 

4 hours ago, Ulfast said:

Can you do an army picture of all your painted White scars? They look very good.

Thank you, but I'm still a ways off from having enough done. Some of the stuff in my recent Batrep still needs weathering (ATV's for example) But I'll get there!

3 hours ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

Prot does WS well. :biggrin:

Thanks very much BBF! I don't know if that's very true, but I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

They are dirtier and grittier than I personally like but they are awesome and well painted all the same. high standard.

I am really tempted to start WS but I don't know about painting white and doing the red accents.

On 4/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, INKS said:

They are dirtier and grittier than I personally like but they are awesome and well painted all the same. high standard.

I am really tempted to start WS but I don't know about painting white and doing the red accents.

Well here's what I went through.... My first scars were very neat. I really hated that look on them and I started to incorporate more pigments, and eventually Enamels and Oils.

And I liked that look a lot better. I noticed more people going that direction as well, and then I reached a point where I thought all the work I was doing preshading/post shading was becoming invisible.

When Augustus came out, I decided to revisit the whole idea. I tried touching up older paint jobs with new jobs, and applying different techniques to newer models as well (experimental stuff, including Augustus models)

image.thumb.jpeg.0c7fd84eddfed100724525f7490df638.jpeg

For example. The biker is my more common style, but even though the 'pre weathering' weathering work is there, I lost a lot of it with all the weathering techniques.

I decided to use a large, flat panel model for testing a different look. I reapainted my Repulsor above. Lots of work, going back and forth, and I made a conscious decision to get into colder hues, instead of warmer hues for shadowing to make it a little more visible.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f1dd34ee38d8106463bd27eb8e83f13.jpeg

I applied this same type of effect and effort to a Storm speeder. Note the cool greys and blues. Still lots of work, but I thought maybe I'll apply this to new models and even though they would be in early stages, I'd get a better idea. So I used the same idea as an early stage on the Infiltrators above.

WSold23JPG.thumb.JPG.66af6c9cee24dfff0365eb3f6d613c6d.JPG

I did the same thing to these ATVs. They have the cool preshading, plus lighter enamels.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5b84d3a8441e1bb4a3f537e9d557a1c.jpeg

I decided to try the test from scratch on a bigger model again.. the Warsuit.

image.thumb.jpeg.f6e15449a2d4437e3ce88d41083e61a1.jpeg

In the end I tried eliminating all of that, going back to Ultramarines, and Wolves which are a stark contrast to the Scars.

wsww.thumb.JPG.64af3f3f0f089533a948da1f235bb7e4.JPG

And in the end I decided probably the Wolves... I came up with a new formula for Wolves I liked (this is only a mid stage of painting) and I think I'm done with the scars. No one ever finds them to be nearly as eye catching as my other billion army projects. Which is disappointing but understandable since it is a white fig we are starting with.

However this shows, there's so many ways to paint Scars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that. I found extreme contrast is necessary to show off white paint imho. I then decided I wanted a battle worn look to my scars and also used weathering to add even more contrast.

Its cool to see how you decided to pre shade and how much that worked towards making your scars individual.

Good stuff all around I’m intrigued in what 10th will bring and it may cause me to return to the scars to finish another chunk of the army.

Edited by brother_b