What would it take to get you to use...tomb spyders?

Beatnik cryptek

Ok, what?

How about better saves? Maybe the same save as a wraith for the same reason, it needs to phase thru machinery to repair it in a tomb world. Making it more survivable would be nice.

Make it a character? Less sniping at it would help.

Giving it the gloom prism free? Hey, denying psychic powers is nice for necrons, maybe give it longer range too.

Giving it d3 living metal? Not that big a deal but nice for a repair unit to have.

your ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Give it the character keyword. That seems like the simplest fix to me. They suffer from being squishy support 'monsters'. But as support characters, theyd be pretty tough.

Being able to spawn scarabs above the starting size of the unit.

BS and WS of 3+

It’s upgrades should all be free. Gloom prism, fabricator claws and the particle blasters.

I haven't looked at it lately but I remember thinking a year ago (roughly) that even though it was expensive, maybe I could make it work until I realized it didn't actually come with the ability to do anything unless I spent more points.  Including at least the fabricators and gloom prism in the base cost would go a long way.

Being able to spawn scarabs above the starting size of the unit.

BS and WS of 3+

It’s upgrades should all be free. Gloom prism, fabricator claws and the particle blasters.

I haven't looked at it lately but I remember thinking a year ago (roughly) that even though it was expensive, maybe I could make it work until I realized it didn't actually come with the ability to do anything unless I spent more points.  Including at least the fabricators and gloom prism in the base cost would go a long way.

I had never thought about that. Normally you might take them for scarabs, but without scarabs it has no intrinsic reason to exist.

It's a force multiplier unit, but it doesn't multiply a very large force, and it's not a large multiplier either.

Wow. I never realized this.

Give them a purpose

Aren't durable, aren't fighty, can repair but bad at it, can dispel but bad at it, can grow units but bad at it..

Let them repair other units? Give their gun a sick profile? Make them a mini carnifex. Anything.

Or all the above tied with upgrades.. But more.

Make it act like the description in the codex, as in, giving bonuses to nearby canoptek units and increasing the bonuses if the squad numbers 2-3 as the computing power increases.

I wish they didn't produce scarabs to existing squads, I'd rather have the mini bugs on the model be a part of a repair rule and a range attack. Instead (again taking from the fluff), scarab units reproduced by themselves, the more they kill/eat, the more they add to themselves.

Edited by Ahzek451