'Terror Sight' in 40k

Xenith

Ok, so I'm looking for a fluff reference for this. Online only brings up the reference in Descent of Angels with Zahariel's psychic power of the same name.

I recall in an old Black Library Novel(lla) a space marine whose helm incorporated a special eye lens filter called "Terror Sight", and it senses something like pheromones in the air, or heart rate or something.

What I can recall from the scene is a space marine disembarking from a drop ship/lander into a village/whatever looking for someone, but all the locals are hiding from him. He smiles and says "Terror Sight" and he can see everyone cowering in their huts, and sense the trail of his quarry.

I want to say the astartes is either a Dark Angel or Night Lord. It could be from a short story like 'Deathwing' or 'The Black Pearl'. Maybe even 'Angels of Darkness'. He specifically recalls that he has an ancient artificer helm that incorporates this non-standard filter.

I know this version of terrorsight predates the psychic power in Descent of Angels by some way, as I remember being annoyed at reading it in DoA.

Any ideas?

The Night Lords trilogy has them using Preysight. With many of the Legion rigging it to track using heat, or home in on movement. While the Raptor Lucoryphus having his track by the visualisation of sound 

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering if I had a false memory - but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I dont recall such a scene in the NL trilogy. 

The Night Lords trilogy has them using Preysight. With many of the Legion rigging it to track using heat, or home in on movement. While the Raptor Lucoryphus having his track by the visualisation of sound 

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering if I had a false memory - but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I dont recall such a scene in the NL trilogy. 

There is a scene at least somewhat similar to this in the last NL book, when they land on Tsugualsa(sp?).

I believe each legion has their own name for Terror-sight, I do not believe it's specific to each legion. However, amongst us, Dark Angels, we refer to it as Terror Sight. 

I think it first came up in "Lord of night" i mean its basically night/heat vision but you can do extra scifi stuff with it if the plot demands :smile.:

Bingo, that's it, totally forgot about that book:

'Preysight,' Sahaal whispered, and again the lenses of his eyes blazed with magnified acuity, penetrating the shadows. And yes... yes, there they were: the elders and the youngsters, the women and children and warriors of the tribe, all of them gathered to listen beyond the circle of light around the throne, all of them hungry for answers.

I'm totally getting mixed up between preysight and terrorsight...I think. Thanks for the knowledge!

Edited by Xenith

The above is taken from Blood Reaver as they're in the Knight's Errant Fortress Monastery.

Page 285

Through his preysight, the wide corridor blurred into a world of tremulous greys. Even the bodies around him were bleached of detail, little more than vague shapes in the colourless nuance. Only when the enemy came around the corner did life and movement flicker through his lenses; jagged flashes of white against the dullness. Many of the 8th Legion rigged their helms to track by heat, or to home in on movement. Lucoryphus of the Bleeding Eyes preferred to do things his own way. He tracked by the visualisation of sound. The humanoid flickers painting over his eyes were formed from the percussion of footsteps and heartbeats, strengthened by voices and the crack of gunfire.

You also have Talos activate his in the first book when he first enters the Imperial's bridge 

Page109:

'Preysight.'

At the soft command, his suit;s machine spirit complied, masking the red tinged view of his eyelenses, in a deep contoured series of blues.Through the smoke, even through the cover of consoles and work stations, the bridge crew were revealed to him in a maelstrom of blurry orange, red and yellow smears of heat sources against the cold blueness around. 

That's a couple mentions of it in the Night Lords series if that's what you meant. Those are the ones I'm familiar with. 

Sounds like the modern equivalent of thermal imaging. Used in our modern military forces, but also available to the public for hunting ‘Yotes and feral hogs. Some have a grey gradient; heat appears as white and brighter and colder bodies background are grey. I’ve always thought of prey sight as what the Predator looked through when he was hunting Ahnuld and the boys on the way to the Choppa!

This is the type of topic I really enjoy!  Take a look at this video to get a real world application of using light to see around corners and produce 3D imaging.  Cutting edge technology that can capture light in motion.  It is a really good TED Talks video as a whole.  The relevant portion of the video to this thread is at 5:36.  I hope it inspires you, as real life is sometimes more awesome than fiction!

https://www.ted.com/talks/ramesh_raskar_imaging_at_a_trillion_frames_per_second?language=en#t-339201

V/r,

Dan

I am not sure, but I could have sworn I saw a bit in a HH book with a SoH who switched their helm filter and specificly referanced it as terror sight. As for what it is, I think its been referanced as black and white night vision with IR but really clear.

I think your right MegaVolt I'm sure I've read it too and not in an ADB book because I thought it was cheeky that another legion was using NL tech ;)

NL custom one is prey sight. Pretty sure that works like the thermals with heartbeat sensor similar to the goggles in the splinter cell videogames from how NL use it to hunt.