What would it take to get you to use... Deathmarks?

Beatnik cryptek

OK, deathmarks look cool as hell but rarely appear on the battlefield due to their mediocre performance. So what would it take to get you to use them more?

How about....

Deathshrouds. Any shots fired at deathmarks from a range on greater than 9'' incur a -1 to hit penalty due to the palpable darkness that surrounds deathmarks like a shroud.

Psyker's Bane. Psykers are terribly vulnerable to the effects of the dreaded synaptic disintegrator. To wpind rolls vs any target with tge psyker word get a +1 to wound. In addition any psyker that suffers one or more Mortal wounds from a deathmark suffer a -1 penalty to all future psychic rolls even if the wound is restored.

I see your weakness. Any natural 6 to hit roll for a deathmarks inntge shooting pgase has a AP of 3.

Would that make deathmarks prominent in your armies, phaerons?

I think at the beginning of the game they should mark an enemy unit and get bonuses against that unit (like the murder sword for CSM).  That's what they do in the fluff, and it's in their name, so it seems like a no-brainer.  The bonus could be -1 AP (which they desperately need more of) or a bonus to their mortal wound rolls.  They could have a strat to mark a second unit, maybe.  

Barring that, bring the cost way down.  They simply aren't that good, offensively or defensively, so the cost is way too high.  The only reason I ever bring them now is to screw up Tempestus Scions deep striking by coming in too close for their HQ to give them orders.

Assuming their price point stays the same. I'd do the following.
Increase Gun Strength to STR 5, AP-1 base
Give them back their ability to mark a target. Against the a single target squad or character, they gain +1 to wound, and proc a mortal wound on 5+.

Honestly with those changes a 5 man squad could drop in vs say, a space marine libby (T4, 3+ armor save)
10 Shots,
6.77 Hits
6 wounds
2 Mortal wounds
Average of 3 failed armor saves on 4+

Probably kill them if the opponent let you drop into rapid fire range. After that, getting str 5, AP-1 makes them semi-useful against other units.

Edited by BaconCouch

It would take me painting mine but I really like representing a unit being marked. Even seeing that as a pregame stratagem would be nice, though nicer as a built in ability. Paying CP to add a second mark is only sensible at that point with how well it fits their MO.

It would take me painting mine but I really like representing a unit being marked. Even seeing that as a pregame stratagem would be nice, though nicer as a built in ability. Paying CP to add a second mark is only sensible at that point with how well it fits their MO.

A CP to pay for a second mark sounds like a good 1CP strategem - I like it!

A CP to pay for a second mark sounds like a good 1CP strategem - I like it!

Can't take credit for what Tyriks suggested a couple posts above :sweat:

Strength 5 and an -1 ap would be nice. I am one of the few that use them and like the anti-deep strike rule vs marines. Go ahead and drop your smash captain, I got something for you. 10 at rapidfire range will do a few mortals typically. But that's a very specific use. I think they do need something for sure besides a point drop.

Strength 5 and an -1 ap would be nice. I am one of the few that use them and like the anti-deep strike rule vs marines. Go ahead and drop your smash captain, I got something for you. 10 at rapidfire range will do a few mortals typically. But that's a very specific use. I think they do need something for sure besides a point drop.

Which is why i was suggesting they get a mark that gives them +1 to wound.

Which is why i was suggesting they get a mark that gives them +1 to wound.

wounding on a 2+ would be a bit overpowered

Strenght 5 would usually wound on a 3+ then add the +1 wound would be 2+ to wound

Wow, I hadn't thought about my death marks in a long time cause they just sucked.

Str 5 -1ap good idea. The cp is a good one too. I believe a minus to hit them for a camouflage generator or cloak generator to really make them fit their role. Right now they're just expensive warriors.

At the moment, Deathmarks are relying heavily with mortal wounds on the wound rolls. Without AP they are not killing units with 3+ 2W, or characters with 3+ 5/6W

Imo they either need higher AP or a stronger wound roll. Perhaps a strategem/ability to re-roll wound rolls or +1 to wound could make them fairly good.

We don't have much that can hurt Characters other than C'Tans, the Doomscythe ability, Imotekh's ability and relic/warlord trait (can't remember which) which is kind of hurting Necrons at the moment.

Edited by Get Thokt

• 2 weeks later...