Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Cantorellian 23rd Imperial Guard

What's this? A new army? Lord knows I shouldn't but here I am anyway!

This will (hopefully) be a plog for me to update semi-regularly (which I am defining as more regularly than my dawn blades plog in the forge, which hasn't seen an update since the last iron gauntlet), for my Cantorellian 23rd (plus attached assets).

The initial details of the regiment can be found here, but I figured this would be a good place for the models.

So, here's a couple of models I painted a few years ago, that are the basis of the Cantorellian 23rd.

Test Squad

The Squad, with a plasma gun and sergeant.

Test Squad Sergeant

The sergeant, with a space marine arm and a chopped-up lasgun for a laspistol.

The idea with the camo is that it's ocean/beach camo, but as I'm not military I have no concept of what is actually functional camo, it just looks cool.

Hopefully looking to spend a decent-ish amount of time here in the barracks.

I was wondering when your Guard would show up :tongue.: I think the camouflage colours work well for the ocean/beach combo - 40k is space fantasy so I wouldn't worry too much about a real camo though it's a good idea to reference it. Are you set on the colours used? The trick with camo schemes is to make sure it's replicable as you'll be painting it a lot on Guardsmen :tongue.: So time spent working on the scheme itself is never a bad idea, as the sooner you're on top of it the sooner you're producing models easier :smile.:

It's a great opportunity for beach bases too, have you thought about what you might like to do there? Sand would work easily of course, though as good and different as shingle would be probably a bit too much effort?

I'm not entirely set on the colors used (for the most part)  but whatever dark blue I choose might cause issues, because I either don't have the pot (almost out) or I don't have the primer, at the moment. I don't really care for making a set pattern, but we'll see what happens as time goes by. I might choose to standardize it, or not and keep on with the 'random splotches of light blue and tan' I have going on.

Sandy bases for sure, but how I go about it isn't yet finalized. The above have bits of sand from a nearby lake, but whether I repeat that or not is another matter entirely. We'll see about basing supplies--maybe I go and experiment a little more with a new army, and new basing method.

There's a method to the madness of any camouflage scheme as even random need some measure of planning. Whether that's size, method of splotching, or location - the trick is making the randomness consistent. If that makes no sense... it will once you've got going :P Camouflage is a way of life almost :lol: This is why I recommend spending your time on it, make sure you get it right as you don't want to change part way through :)

Same with basing though, best to experiment and play and see what comes together. The important thing is you've got the main ideas down so the rest should come easily enough in time and sometimes inspiration comes from strange places :tu: