Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Airbrush blockage

Painting Airbrush

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

I was trying to get my new(ish) airbrush working today. However, I encountered a problem that I have seen before but have no idea how to fix. The airbrush doesn't spray any paint except when depressing the needle to return to the default position. Does anyone know why this occurs or how to fix it?

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence and Scion of Tallarn; Baron of Krastellan; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon.

Victorus aut Mortis

Astral Arcane

Astral Arcane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Sororitas

Clean the unit then try to run regular water through it. If it sprays okay then you know it's an issue with your paint consistency or nozzle clogging. If it doesn't then it's a mechanical issue with assembly or in general with your airbrush. 

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Thanks, it was unused so I will go through and make sure all seals are tight and all valves work.

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence and Scion of Tallarn; Baron of Krastellan; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon.

Victorus aut Mortis

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,092 posts

If your new to airbrushing one of the things that will be a steep learning curve is how much you really need to thin your paint. It still catches me out sometimes and I've been airbrushing for years, any clumps in the paint will immediately block your brush.

Are you thinning with medium (Liquitex or similar) or just plain water? 

Add your water or thinner/medium to the airbrush cup before adding paint works for me and I then use an old brush to stir the paint/medium in the airbrush cup to mix it well before starting to test spray on paper or whatever. If you have any issues with the mix it's best not to find out by spraying straight onto your nice new kit.

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Using Vallejo airbrush thinner to try to spray their airbrush primer.

Lord Raven19

Victorus aut Mortis

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,092 posts
Vallejo primer I find best at 50/50 thinner to paint but I also up my pressure to about 35psi as the primer is a heavy medium. This is using an Iwata Revolution with a 0.5 needle.

I wouldn't try to put vallejo primer through my Iwata Eclipse which has a 0.35 needle it's just too prone to clogging with the primer and I usually run about 14psi or less for fine control with the eclipse.

A drop or two of Vallejo flow aid will help to stop tip drying and clogging too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Painting, Airbrush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users