Best Use of "Encirclement"

Prot

So there's a few angels I'm looking at this....

Aggressors is one, but Aggressors + Khan + Repulsor seems like a strong, deep threat that will be ready for assaults in Turn 3.

If you're applying pressure from your table edge, or infiltrating a lot, this could make a very shooty army, very concerned and give you table top real estate while your opponent safe guards against your infiltration.

Aside from this kind of Primaris pack, I'm having trouble of coming up with something that isn't.... Centurions.  Or Centurions in a Landraider?

What's working for you guys with Encirclement?

Disclaimer... space wolf who used the codex and not a true WS

I have enjoyed using it on my leviathan to guarantee at least 1 alpha before dying. Can buff it to ignore movement penalty and reroll 1s if needed as well.

If something tags it I can walk away and fire with a stratagem still

I also use it on a chaplain venerable dread with imperium sword WL trait. If the charge is crucial I use the stratagem to get him a 3d6 charge as well

So there's a few angels I'm looking at this....

Aggressors is one, but Aggressors + Khan + Repulsor seems like a strong, deep threat that will be ready for assaults in Turn 3.

If you're applying pressure from your table edge, or infiltrating a lot, this could make a very shooty army, very concerned and give you table top real estate while your opponent safe guards against your infiltration.

Aside from this kind of Primaris pack, I'm having trouble of coming up with something that isn't.... Centurions.  Or Centurions in a Landraider?

What's working for you guys with Encirclement?

Big ass dread of some sort?  Or why not an Astreus lol?  

Im not really a big fan of this stratagem.  The board edge restriction is annoying for combat units.  If you want a deep strike close combat threat then why not just regular boring ass terminators?  They can come in on turn 2 and shoot with ap -1 and reliably charge and use fury of the first for fairly good damage.  

Well.. boring Termies are... boring? 

I think Centurions, which don't have many options, get a huge boost from this right? I mean no need for a transport. Come out off the edge firing, and hopefully using terrain to engage. 

I often only use one tank... or in my case a Repulsor. So instead of losing it on T1 as it absorbs all of my opponent's shots, this almost guarantees it gets a turn or two AND gets to dump its contents into my opponent's zone. 

I just think that's powerful against some shooty armies in my meta. Against an assault army? Maybe not.

P.S.

Please don't give me a reason to order an Astreus!!!! lol

Edited by Prot

Well.. boring Termies are... boring? 

I think Centurions, which don't have many options, get a huge boost from this right? I mean no need for a transport. Come out off the edge firing, and hopefully using terrain to engage. 

I often only use one tank... or in my case a Repulsor. So instead of losing it on T1 as it absorbs all of my opponent's shots, this almost guarantees it gets a turn or two AND gets to dump its contents into my opponent's zone. 

I just think that's powerful against some shooty armies in my meta. Against an assault army? Maybe not.

P.S.

Please don't give me a reason to order an Astreus!!!! lol

I would avoid assault centurions until after the spring FAQ.  They are undercosted by a mile.  Quick math...

Tactical marine points per wound:  12

Assault Centurion points per wound: 13

This means that assault cents are getting 2 flamers, a hurricane bolter, a thunder hammer with -4 ap and no hit penalty, +1 toughness, +2 attacks, ignore cover, and a 2+ save for 1ppm.   It is hard to believe this will go unaddressed.  

Boring terminators I think are an ok choice is that you dont need to pay command points to deep strike and can land anywhere.  They also shoot well and can make reliable charges.  Not great, not terrible.  

Hellblasters, or a strong melee unit. Any Strong melee unit can get the benefits of a Chaplain on bike(Legends) or Jump pack. The White Scars litany is just awesome!

I am not too big on Aggressors with encirclement, I would run 3x squads of Aggressors with a Chaplain in Terminator Armor. Give the Chaplain the Cyber Eagle Helm, and use Litanies of Hate and/or Strike off the Head.

Edited by CCE1981

So far the aggressors with HQs outflanking in the Repulsor has been working okay. Again its really being able to get out with Debarkation in T2 with the Tactical Doctrine that really helps. It’s sets things up for an intersecting T3. 

im not saying it’s the best...but for what I own it’s cool and does have some teeth. So far I’d say the worst part of it is me.... it’s easy to misuse but really packs a punch if you can steer your opponent properly. 

I am realizing though I need more Assault weapons. The need to have some firepower while advancing units is a tough problem. 

Here’s the video batrep featuring Nick Natavanti playing his White Scars...

https://youtu.be/kNtwWLUa4K8

I wish Ultramarines had the debarkation strat.

I'll definitely take a look at that later. I'm about to have a game shortly....

I will say this is why I used Impulsors so much with my Ultramarines. The mechanism is great for hiding high value infantry, and getting full use out of them after a move. 

The Encirclement is icing on the cake for anyone that wants to use a Repulsor imho. Just because you know you'll get to use it... going first or second.