Battlefleet Gothic - Paint advice!?

Use the GW contrast primers, they're more gloss finish and 'slippier' if that makes sense. You'll have better results with the contrast. I dont even think you'd need the drybrush. just contrast, paint lights. 

Contrast paints benefit from a very smooth surface (matte surfaces are slightly bumpy to diffuse specular highlights, gloss ones are smooth to enhance them), so any primer with a very fine pigment will be fine.  The reason GW released the new primers was because white paint uses titanium oxide as the pigment, which is fairly large and therefore rough - having off-whites allowed them to use other pigments.  Personally, I've found Vallejo Grey and Ivory surface primers to be good analogs for Grey Seer and Wraithbone - both give a very flat coat when applied via an airbrush, and Contrast paints work fine over them. :)

I loved doing mine! This was a project for the Call of Chaos a few years ago, resurrecting some older models and second hand bits to make a cohesive fleet.

I sprayed black for uniformity and then aimed for a zenithal prime of white as my main colour to work from. Given the detail, as others have suggested, drybrushing really works to get colour on quickly, and you can then tidy up the gaps and recessed areas as appropriate. I utilised my usual spot colours - namely orange for rust and a brighter green and blues for OSL lights - so it ties in with all my Death Guard as much as possible.

As others have said about doing the bases in an appropriate style - I have to say this was one of my favourite parts! I think it sets them off nicely, and adds another appropriate contrast with some different colours too.

This was the fleet in question:

bfgfleetfinal1.jpg?w=584

bfgfleetfinal2.jpg?w=584

I’d love to have a new edition of the game - such characterful models! Has been great to reminisce and think about other ways people have painted them.

There's like zero chance when they redo BFG they'll keep the same scale, the models will be twice the size because they think we all want massive, fragile, harder to assemble, incredibly detailed models that most people never paint or just drybrush anyway.  

That said my BFG navy is going in the stripping cups this weekend after I finish stripping my Primaris BA!  Time to redo these guys the right way!