Frozen Stars

Dread

So I guess I should do this. My first painted player. I'll add pics as I go as well as a finished of this one. You may call be lazy for not going the diamond path but I fought with that for years, stripping and painting only to repeat several times. Finally, since I play frozen stars I decided to use gw's fluff for a change so black and white.

20200329-002126.jpg

20200330-013520.jpg

I did some reworking on a few models. Got a few others started. I looked at a blown up version of my first one, ugh, glad it looks good small. White is always a hard one to work with. Anyhow, think I'm just going simple from now on or you could call or old school, haha.

1585550712569.jpg

Brilliant stuff Dread! Love that Shadowseer mate.

What white are you using by the way? If your having trouble with it you could try Ulthuan Grey. It’s basically an off white but it’s so unnoticeable it looks like white and is a great paint. I used it for my White Consuls that I paint now and then and I’ve never had any trouble with it at all. Then I highlight with white scar on the edges. 

Thanks for that. I'm actually using white scar over white primer. The lightest grey I have is administratum grey. Which I used for a base on the first one, I think that's why you can see all the streaks.

On another note, not happy with the bike. A few years back I painted one of my crimson hunters in a nebula scheme.

1585552476071.jpg

I'm thinking about doing this only in blues for the sky weavers and star weavers. What do you think?

Also thinking about changing the white to a light blue, ideas?

Edited by Dread

I'll give it a go. If it don't work out I can soak it again for the third or forth time.

This is the rest. A mix of metal and plastics.

20200330-023142.jpg

Edited by Dread

Thanks for that. I'm actually using white scar over white primer. The lightest grey I have is administratum grey. Which I used for a base on the first one, I think that's why you can see all the streaks.

On another note, not happy with the bike. A few years back I painted one of my crimson hunters in a nebula scheme.

1585552476071.jpg

I'm thinking about doing this only in blues for the sky weavers and star weavers. What do you think?

Also thinking about changing the white to a light blue, ideas?

That is gorgeous. As far as diamond patterns on the Jesters/Harlequins, I don't think it's a big deal to not have. I wouldn't want to paint that either, and there are official Troupes that don't use it as much, I personally would go for some kind of quartered theme, probably Dreaming Shadow just because it has a different color scheme than any other armies I have, and I still like the look/colors. I also understand stripping and repainting, my original Space Marines have gone through 4 different schemes, and it took me a while for some techniques like thinning paints and having patience instead of one thick coat.

Best of luck on those other models! I know it can be daunting having that many to paint, but in the end it will be worth it. Also IMO the blue/purp/black combo is a great representation of space/nebula. If the doubt is regarding it matching more, you could add some small purple details, like highlights on the blue cloth or hair of the other units.

Yeah those are awesome too. You could leave the one with the purple, I mean it's clear that they're in the same army. It'd be like different squad/unit markings with the added purple, and the others more space-like. You could even come up with a name/story for the one with purple, like the Red Barron and his Flying Circus painting their planes very vibrant and unique on purpose.

Actually the jet is from my craftworld army and these new ones are harlequin. I may run them together some time. That's why the blue nebula to help signify the masque Frozen Stars. Thank you so much for the help tho RD.

Well let me see if I can explain it. I start with a base, white or black depending on if I want bright or dark. The trick is rip a piece of poster board , curving it into shapes, then hold the desired shape where you want to have it and spray along the edge. The ripped board gives a not so smooth edge kinda like clouds. I started with black then blended a dark blue to a medium blue to a light blue. Afterwards I go back and use the dark blue to fog over the lighter shades then crisp up the black. The stars are the easy part, water down white 50/50 then use a stiff bristle brush and flick it towards the area you want them. It's time consuming but has a nice presence in the end. I've not used my air brush on to many small models but on the bigger ones it's great piece of equipment to have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stunning is the word that came to my mind too.

I don’t anticipate getting an airbrush, but if I did, that’s the kind of effect I’d love to replicate :tu:

Edited by Zebulon

• 4 weeks later...