New wolf on the block

Plague _Lord

• 5 weeks later...

I took plenty of beatings from harlies when 9th started.

Learn from it and adapt is all you can do right now.

It will make your first victory that much sweeter when it occurs.

Ta mate, the beating was harsh but I think I managed to learn a bit from it... did it let me do better in the next round of the league? Read the Bat rep below to find out ;)

Next game we played at the 1,5k points level, my opponent - GSC.

I changed my list a lot for this game:

Space Wolves Patrol

Primaris Chaplain on bike - chief chaplain, hunter, wise orator, cancticle of hate, mantra of strength, mountain breaker helm

Primaris librarian - chief librarian, might of heroes, psychic fortress, armour of russ, rites of war

5x intercessor with assault bolters

3xoutriders

Redemptor dread - plasma, 2x storm bolter, missile pod, gatling cannon

Redemptor dread - 2x gatling cannon, 2xstorm bolter, missile pod

Succesor patrol (born heroes, whirlwind of rage)

Captain with black death, storm shield, wolfkin saga

2x 5 assault intercessors, 1x hammer 1x powerfist

5x wulfen with 2 hammer&shield

Wulfen dread with axe& shield, heavy flamer

His list comprised of a mix of partrols of the 4 armed emperor and the one that gives them extra strength

patriarch

2x magos

1x commander type dude

6x10 acolytes with 4x saws in each

1x goliath with autocannons

1x goliath with rocksaw

1x rockrider? (the buggy with the mining laser)

and 2 squads of 5 deepstriking guys

Now this was my first time ever playing against GSC and I only read through their codex once so I had no idea what to expect. I did read a lot of opinions that they are the weakest army in the game right now so I was kind of confident that I wouldn't lose too bad at least.

The mission was retrieval mission from the latest GT tournament pack.

My secondaries - oath of moment, raise banners, assasinate

He took - ROD, engage and minimize losses

My idea was to use my fast charachters as suicide assassins and just try to take out his charachters scoring me both oath and assasinate points, while the rest of my force took the midfield. Easier said than done...

Here is my deployment:

gallery_94482_16227_992110.jpg

Turn 1

I win the roll to go first and move up my forces to grab both midfield objectives and raise banners. I also turbo boost my bikers into the middle of the board to score oath. He deploys his forces for like 30mins and I start to get annoyed... He deplyoed in such a way that I have no shooting angles but I do get psychic fortress up on the left flank so that the assault intercessor squad and both redemptors are in the aura.

His shooting is rubbish and deals no damage. On both flanks he advances a squad of acolytes and eyes up charges. With a combination of strats and psychic powers he charges both of my assault intercessors squads holding objectives. The Patriarch moves into the middle to kill my bikers.

gallery_94482_16227_1687166.jpg

On the righ side I HI with my chaplain and captain. He first activates the squad on the left, I use transhuman in return and thanks to the strat and the inv aura from the librarian I manage to survive with my sergeant.

gallery_94482_16227_1474121.jpg

I opt to counter attack with the captain but he uses the 4 armed emperor strat to counter it. I luckily get to keep my CP but he butchers the captain an 3 marines before they get to strike. The remaining 2 assault intercessors and the chaplain gain vengance by wiping the squad. The patriarch kills 2 outriders and I opt in to not pile in and keep the sergeant out of combat.

Turn 2

I lost the objective on the left so I only score 10 primary... I have to take it back so I reshuffle my librarian and 1 of the redemptors to help the lone sergeant mop up the acolytes. I move both the chaplain and wulfen dread into the centre to kill the patriarch. My wulfen come out on the right flank to kill the rockgrinder sitting on one of the objectives closer to his deplyoment zone. I wiff my shooting phase with the redemptor dread failing to kill one of the goliaths. In the assault phase I kill the acolytes on the left with the redemptor, librarian and sergeant, while my chaplain takes out the Patriarch without needing the wulfen dreads help. I see an openning and charge the outrider sergeant into one of his magos' but thanks to the special GSC lookoutsir rule he manages to survive. The Wulfen reach the other goliath sitting on an objective and sadly take it out with ease. This disperses a squad of acolytes onto the objective.

gallery_94482_16227_877994.jpg

In his turn the squad next to the wulfen goes past them and takes out my assault intercessors on the right hand objective, while another acolyte squad charges the wulfen. They take the wulfen out but those wipe the squad on death, leaving the objective in no hands. On the left a squad of acolytes square up a charge on my redemptor.

gallery_94482_16227_193223.jpg

He charges the squad and the goliath into my redemptor, I HI with the chaplain into the goliath and take it out, while the redemptor only take 5 wounds and kills 5 acolytes in return. He also dropped a 5 man acolyte squad within 3'' (thanks to a strat) sergeant holding the left side objective and deny me primaries for it. This was a show of stupidity ony my part as I forgot about auspex scan and my regular interecessors would have roasted the unit with ease...

And this is sadly where we started to run out of time so we just went over what would happen in turn 3 with fast rolls for some of the fights where the result would not be obvious: Redemptor finishes off acolyte squad in CC, chaplain charges and takes out Magos, 2nd redemptor takes out the DS acolyte squad and the wulfen dread charges the acolytes on the right hand side objective. We actually had to roll for the last one and it was a blast as I rolled a total of 14 hits and wiped the squad (fenrisian great axe with cleave attack with every 6 being and extra 2 hits is just tasty), while he couldn't do much.

After this we tallied up the points and we had more or less the same ammount of VPs so we agreed on a draw. We also agreed that had we played out the remaining 2 turns then it would have been an easy win for me since I had only lost the captain, 2 assault intercessor squad and the wulfen, while he only had the commander, 1 magos, 1 buggy and around 10-15 acolytes left. The game ending early was also a godsend for him since he acutally got to score minimize losses (I would have probably tabled him) and denied me assassinate points but I don't care much for unplayed points and was happy with not losing.

Key points after the game:

- Wulfen dread was great

- Don't forget about auspex scan, it can be a game changer

- I think I might be too low on obsec troops and cheap scorers

- I played too agrressively and was cought off guard by the sheer speed of the GSC troops. Going first didn't help but I probably could have denied him 1st turn charges and got a round of shooting in before commiting to the midfield objectives.

- Oath is mixed bag - on one hand I can score points just by doing stuff I want to do anyway (killing heroes, not falling back) but it also forces me to hold a unit in the centre which isn't always ideal since my list wants to be aggressive and I don't have a lot of scorers to spare.

All in all a draw for the Space Wolves and a great game :)

For Russ!

Looks like a nice list, I'm also curious how you liked the two detachments? why you gave only one of them the succesor combo? I didn't even realize thats possible btw. that opens up a lot of possibility's right? does it have any down side's? thanks for the battrap

Plague_Lord - did you like having the two detachments at 1500?

@TiguriusX - Plague_Lord only complained about a long deployment so I don't think his opponent was slow playing. I agree he deserved the win but for a lot of leagues play clock's would be pretty extreme.

The 2 detachment list doesn't work too good tbh. My thinking was that my anvil (dreads) would do better with having +1 to hit while being charged as well, whiile my assault elements are there only to blitz a target and probably get destroyed in return so don't need the bonuses while being charged. Thing is it that sometimes I would love to have rerolls on my dreads or a chaplain buff on the intercessors... I think 2 detachment list could have sense if your second one only included units that can't be buffed by our heroes so a couple of units of wulfen and wulfen dreads. It also depends on list composition - If I would have bladeguard, then I would probably prefer the space wolf trait, If I'm going wulfen heavy then born heroes and whirlwind of rage it is!

My opponent defo wasn't slow playing me... he was pretty new to the game/army aswell and he was just overthinking a few things. A draw is fine by me, but in my head I'm counting it as a win :)

So... I wasn't Idle and I played the 3rd league game with the same list bar a few changes - no mountain breaker helm relic and going to the space wolf psychic discipline for magic - I took Instincts awoken, jaws of the world wolf and tempests wrath.

1500 game vs Ad Mech

His list:

Lucius battalion

Marshal with all the buffs

Manipulus with all the buffs

2x20 rangers

1x20 vanguard

3 chicken walkers with autocannons

2 chicken walkers with lascannons

2x5 infiltrators

1x10 ruststalkers

2x2 servitors

1x5 pteraxi sterylizors

Ouch... I knew I was doomed when I saw his list... I wasn't going to go down without a fight!

The mission was battle lines.

My secondaries: engage, ROD, while we stand (redemptors and outriders)

His secondaries: ROD, vital grounds, stranglehold.

He deployed his infiltrators on the midground objectives while mine looked like this:

gallery_94482_16227_888903.jpg

I have my charachters castled with my redemptors on my objective, my wulfen are outflanked and I put an assault intercessor squad in strategic reserves. I also make a huge blund deploying the other assault intercessor squad out in the open on the far right flank. I was really tired after work and for some reason I had convinced myself that I only had 6'' to the middle of the board and if I got first I could just advance the squad and ROD. In reality my deployment zone was 12'' away so even If I got first turn I still wouldn't ROD in the table quarter I intended...

Turn 1

... I ofc lose the rolloff so I switfly said goodbye to my intercessor squad! He buffs up the vanguard blob and teleports it on the right hand objective next to the infiltrators already sitting there... and next to my misplaced intercessors. They of course go out in a blaze thanks to the 5+ hit=wound strat. He also moves up his laschickens and ruststalker up on my right flank, taking some wounds off my plasma redemptor. He moves his autocannon chickens to the left flank along with a ranger squad, while the remaining rangers sit on his home objective.

In my turn I keep most of my stuff where it is - the dreads and charachters remain on my objective, only with the librarian moving into 18'' of the vanguard blob. I keep my outriders hidden back in my righthand quater where they will remaing for most of the game (gotta score those while we stand points)... so much for their mobility!

gallery_94482_16227_430111.jpg

I rush the wulfen dread down the left flank, hiding him behind a building. In the psychic phase I manage to get off a suped up JAWS and kill 8 skitarii dead. I also put -1 to hit on them. My dreads shooting kill another 4 vanguard and all of the infiltrators on the righthand objective! He spends 2CP to autopass morale.

Turn 2

He is scoring 15points from primary but also getting a tonne from vital grounds and stranglehold and their is not much I can do about it... He pulls the vanguard on the righthand side back behind a building but still on the objective and does a bit of shuffling about to get lines of sight. His shooting phase isn't incredibly strong as he only takes out the wulfen dread with the autocannon chickens and all his rangers and the laschickens take my plasma redemptor down to 4 wounds left.

I have to act fast if I want to be relevant in this game as I only score 5 primary! I do have a plan though. I reshuffle my dreads a bit with the gatling dread moving a bit upboard and the plasma moving back but still have LOS on the laschickens. My Wulfen also come out from behind his lines eyeing a charge on the autocannon chickens. I buff up the gatling dread with +1 to hit from the chaplain and let the plasma dread shoot at full profile thanks to a strat. My chaplain then turboboost on the right hand objective still held by the vanguard. In the psychic phase my librarian puts -1 to hit on the russtalkers and awaken instincts on the chappy. My shooting phase goes well with the gatling redemptor taking out the vanguard and the only thing letting a laschicken live on 3 wounds was a lucky 6+ inv save. The death of the vanguard leaves me in possession of the objective on the right! My wulfen charge into the autocannon chickens and the hammers take 15 wounds! That leaves one on 3 remaining and he pull him out of combat before the rest of the squad can fight (is this a misplay? Should all attacks from a unit be resolved at the same time)? I consolidate onto the objective that was held only by the marshall.

gallery_94482_16227_1119911.jpg

Turn 3

I managed to reduce his primary scoring to only 5points with those ballsy plays but I'm pretty sure his retaliation will be ruthless. He takes out the wulfen with ease while the remaining laschicken fails to put any wounds into the badly damaged redemptor. He drops his pteraxi in my lines and tries to burn my intercessors on the left flank that were RODing last turn but fails to do any damage. In the assault phase the ruststalkers kill my chaplain with ease and he regains control of 3 objectives.

Due to my earlier misplay with the assault intercessors I had to get my shooty ones from the left flank, onto the right get the 2nd ROD in my table quarter. Easier said than done since to get to said quarter they had to either roll a 6 for advancing or brave shooting from a 20 man range squad. Relief came in the form of the pteraxii since if I rolled a high enough charge, then I could actually consolidate to safety after butchering them. In the meanwhile however my other assault intercessor squad came in from his backfield to get my 2nd ROD. I move up my lbirarian, gatling dread and captain to the ruststalkers to take back the objective. I also hide my other redemptor just to save those while we stand points (it still has LOS to the ruststalkers). I shot everything I had into them but they had all the defensive buffs they could take and I think only 2 fell... I also fail my charge with the librarian... The captain and the redemptor still get stuck in and I roll decently for the extra attacks on the Cap. Due the absurd transhuman however he only manages to kill 2 and wound another. The rest try to kill the dread but fail and he kills a few more but they autopass morale for 2CP. Another big blunder on my part here as I forget the captain had OBSEC from the librarian and we give my opponent 15 primary in the next turn when I actually had possession of the objective... anyway on to the climax! I rolled an 11 for the intercessor charge and they proceed to butcher the pteraxi and get safely behind a building.

The next few turn were basically only movements with my outriders moving to the left flank to score engage while the intercessors scored ROD on the right, while lirarian and dread took out the rest of the ruststalkers.

End score was around 81:57 for the Ad mech however If I had remembered about OBsec then they would have had a bit less. I made a lot of mistakes but still managed to pull out a decent game against a totally cookie cutter list so despite the loss I am proud of myself! I messed up on my secondaries quite a bit - ROD wasn't the best choice as I just didn't have throwaway units to do it and ended up wasting 300 points in intercessors just to try and score engage and ROD points. while we stand was quite good but I really need a 3rd expensive unit to take it. It does make you play less agrressively though. All in all the game was fun and my opponent was really chill so a fun experience.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the assault intercessors - they are pretty much useless. The regular versions at least give me access to auspex scan and the possibility of taking out chaff entering my backfield via deep strike, while infiltrators/incursors seem miles ahead. I think I'm going to have to chuck them out of my lists. Outrider seem pretty bad too although they are quite fast and that's something worth having.

So after 3 of 4 games my wolves have gone:

0:20 against harlequins/deldar

10:10 against GSC

6:14 against Ad mech

Lets hope I can get a win in the final game against Necrons!

For Russ!

My wulfen charge into the autocannon chickens and the hammers take 15 wounds! That leaves one on 3 remaining and he pull him out of combat before the rest of the squad can fight (is this a misplay? Should all attacks from a unit be resolved at the same time)?

all attacks from a unit happen at the same time...you can't pull models to avoid them if they have mixed weapons

The only interaction is choosing what weapons swing first for damage allocation purposes

Edited by TiguriusX

My wulfen charge into the autocannon chickens and the hammers take 15 wounds! That leaves one on 3 remaining and he pull him out of combat before the rest of the squad can fight (is this a misplay? Should all attacks from a unit be resolved at the same time)?

all attacks from a unit happen at the same time...you can't pull models to avoid them if they have mixed weapons

The only interaction is choosing what weapons swing first for damage allocation purposes

Ok thanks, twas a missplay then. Luckily that autochicken did nothing for the rest of the game so it didn't matter much.

• 2 months later...

Hi after some doubts if wolves are my thing I had a competitive battle against an ork player preparing for a big, 60man tournament coming up in December.

Here's how it went.

My list (2 space wolf detachments):

Bjorn with multimelta

Primaris Librarian with rites of war, psychic fortress, null zone, time warp, command upgrade

Primaris Techmarine with command upgrade, master crafted shoulder bolter

5 wulfen with 2xhammer

5 wulfen with 5xfrost claws

5 incursors

5 intercessors with hammer on sarge

5 intercessors with powerfist on sarge

redemptor with plasma

redemptor with gatling

Wulfen dread with axe and shield, heavy flamer

Wulfen dread with axe and shield, heavy flamer

Murderfang

2x company champions with LC and storm shields

1 cyberwolf

4 servitors

Orks were freebooterz:

Defkilla wartrike

Beastboss on squigozaur with a FnP and succubuss style choppa

Big mek in mega armor with a relic/kustom gun

5 bikers

2x5 kommandos

2x5 stormboyz

1 suigbuggy with nitro squigs

1x2 Megatrakk scrapjets

1x1 Megatrakk scrapjets

1x2 Kustom Boosta blasta

6 squighog boyz

3 Dakkajets, one of which had a kustom job

2 grot mek guns with the AT gunz

We were playing the retrieval mission. This is pre plane nerf mind you. My secondaries were Oath of Moment, Bring them down and ROD (i had a plan for this). He takes ROD, engage and the orky one where he loots an objective and then gets back points for each unit next turn.

I deployed pretty aggresively – bjorn, the charachters, company champions and the redemptors in the centre behind some ruins, while murdefang (still in range of the champions) and wulfen dreads on my right flank. My intercessors were deployed behind some LOS blocking buildings in each of my table quarters, ready to do ROD – one of them also holding the my home objective. I outflank the wulfen with the claws while the other squad hangs out with the cyberwolf on the left flank. My Incursors infiltrate as far up as they can on the left flank – It’s a gamble but if I go first they will be able to ROD. My servitors are in reserve. He deploys most of his forces (stormboyz in deep strike) fairly spreadout – buggies on the left and centre, squighogs on the left and komandos with the beastboss on the right flank.

I luckily manage to go first! Huzzah, withoutthis I would have probably no Chance… or at least I thought going first would help…

Turn 1

I move my mid castle into a ruin on the centre – bjorn manages to get into oath range while still being protected by the hidden company champions. On the right flank my wulfen dreads get onto an objective with murderfang next to them. My Incursors ROD, ready to meet their fate in the next turn. My shooting is a bit unlucky – I manage to get the squigbuggy down to 1 wound and kill a megatrak scrapjet. I also forget to use the the mastercrafted bolter on the techmarine…

The Orks retaliate in Whaaagh fashion – he kills my incursors easily and takes both of the objectives near his deployment zone, looting one of them with 2 units. His Dakkajets reap havoc by killing the wulfen, a squad (bar one survivor) of assault intercessors and the company champions. My dreads however tanked all that came their way.

Turn 2

I get max primary thanks to the brave intercessor pack leader that held his ground during the oncomming onslaught. Now it’s time to score some secondaries. My lone packleader moves from the objective to ROD on my left flank. This leaves me not holding my home objective! I Opted to leave my other intercessor pack in hiding so they can ROD next turn. I reshuffle my dreads a bit so Bjorn is covered by the redemptors – one of which moves onto my left side objective. On the right flank I push Murderfang as far up as I can – he’s going to have an 8’’ chargé into a scrapjet thats on an objective. I leave one wulfen dread on the obejctive I’m holding while the other wants to chargé his squigboss. My wulfen come out on the left flank – If I can make the chargé then I have a Chance at taking out hit squighog boyz and taking an objective from him! Shooting doesn’t go well for me as I only manage to take out the kustom dakkajet and leave the other ones on 1 and 3 wounds respectively. Post factum I come to the conclusion that I totally forgot about the AP bonuses I get from doctrines… DOH! That would have garnered me at least a second plane since he made some lucky saves from all of my heavy flamers. The chargé phase also doesn’t go to plan as my wulfen wiff their rerollable chargé and are sure to die next turn. Murderfang makes it and decimates the scrapjett and the proceeds to consolidate into komandos and bikers taking some wounds in the process. My Wulfen dread also connects into his beast boss and I make another big mistake… I forget about the +1 to hit for charging so I’m hitting on 4’s… this robs me of 2 extra hits and I only do 5 damage after saves. He also fails to kill the dread.

In his turn he easily takes out the wulfen, murderfang and the wulfen dread and Deals some damage to a redemptor. He tries to loot the objective with his bikers and komandos again.

Turn 3

I heal up my redemptor and send it and bjorn down the left flank while the techmarine holds the centre for OATH. I ROD with my intercessors and the runepriest runs back to gain my home objective again. My shooting phase is better and I take out the squighog boyz with bjorn and the redemptor while the second redemptor kills the komandos looting an objective. I chargé bjorn into the boosta blastas and he decimates them. I’m behind but I still feel I have a Chance in this game.

The Orks try to kill what they can and protect their looters. He kills bjorn in the shooting phase (not a single armour or FnP roll was made this day) and my rune priest dies to that luckily for the orks still operational squigbuggy… His beasst boss charges my wulfen dread that’s sitting on an objective on the right flan. He does no damage and my dread smacks him for the inconvenience.

Turn 4

My servitors come in on the right flank and complete ROD. My Intercessors move back on my home objective. My redemptors do some splitfiring and I take out a mekgun, the squigbuggy and the last plane. The redemptor on the right flank charges and kills the deffkilla wartrike and takes the objective from him.

At this moment the orks don’t have much left – they take potshots at the wulfen dread but do nothing.

Turn 5

I try to kill his bikers with my shooting but they are too tough. I try a last ditch attempt at point by charging the servitors into his last mek gun but they fail to kil lit.

He scores points here and there. And we end it.

Final tally – Space Wolves lose 71-80.

Fun game!

In the end I manager to max out Oath, ROD and score 13 points in bring it down. Holding primary points is where my list had problems and I’m sure that if I hadn’t forgotten all those things I did, then it would have been closer to a draw and possibly a win had the wulfen made that one chargé. As to Wulfen… they are bad. They die way to easily and I felt like I was playing with 300points less than my oponent. Another fail was mastercrafting the Iron Priests’ bolter… not a single wound made!

The Wulfen dreads were great though!

Cheers,

PL

Nice battle report. I have some thoughts.

Master Crafting the Techmarine's Bolter left you cold. Maybe swap it out for the Armour of Russ. This combos nicely with the Dreads as the Techmarine can HI into any unit that charges a Dread and slap it with the Fight Last debuff, allowing the Dread to get some hits in before the chargers. It also gives the Techmarine a handy 4++.

Wulfen are not the powerhouse unit they were. If you drop them and get some Thunder Wolf Cavalry, you still have a hitty melee unit but with better speed and durability than the Wulfen. It also means you can fit the army into a single Battalion which should save you a couple of Command Points.

I like the battle report, and I think you had a good showing freebooterz are pretty tough, so that's a good a warm up game for a tournament. I like the suggestions that Karhedron made. Also I could be wrong but it looks like the servitors came in on t4, and you have to play reserves by turn 3.  

That said for Retrieval mission I think ROD and Oath is a tall ask for an army like this one. Your home objective is on a center line, so you can't hold it and ROD with the same unit which stinks (it basically puts you down an action unit). Then you've got a lot of aggressive units that need to charge but, between Oath and the Primary you want to hold 4 spots on the table. I think with an army like yours I would've gone with Stranglehold, bring it down, and Oath. You'd still want to hold 4 spots but you wouldn't worry about moving scoring off objectives to complete actions. Your main focus would be trying to push them off an objective, and winning the primary.

If you like ROD more than stranglehold, I would drop the wulfen for more infantry capable of doing actions. Maybe a unit of bladeguard/Termies/wolf guard with jump packs, and a squad of Eradicators. That would get you from 5 action units to 7 which give you a bit more room for error. Plus with Eradicators you can combo cunning of the wolf with uncompromising fire to be able to show up in a table quarter and both shoot and complete ROD that turn.  

I was typing it all up from memory as I had played this game over a week ago so I might have made some mistakes.

Overall I forgot to mention that the librarian had armour of russ so he could HI into whatever tried to charge my dread castle and I also had a runepriest with jetpack that didn't do much the whole game.

I've come up with a new list that I want to try next game and possibly take to a tournament:

Bjorn with melta

Primaris librarian with armour of russ, rites of war

Primaris biker chaplain with wise orator, recitation of focus, canticle of hate

5 assault intercessors

5 assault intercessors

5 infiltrators

company vets with storm shields

2 redemptors with plasma

1 redemptor with gatling

1 cyberwolf

Primaris techmarine with chapter command, warden of the ancients, wulfen stone

3 wulfen dreads with shield and axe, heavy flamers

Murderfang

8 dreads in total should be a tough nut to crack. Depending on the mission I think I can dominate a flank just by sending ale the wulfen dreads into one spot. My dread castle can play aggressive, going for oath or play defensive going for to the last, depending on enemy faction, terrain and mission. I still lack objective holders although infiltrators can at least screen a deepstrike and I can always put a redemptor on my backfield objective if it's out in the open. Oh and the chaplain is key - he is mobile to be where it counts and he can either let my whole dread army have reroll charges for a threat range of 22'' or for example turbo boost to where an outflanking murderfang is comming out and give him an 86% chance of making the charge.

Eradicators are also an interesting option but I don't know if 2 plasma dreads and bjorn aren't enough AT.

• 2 weeks later...

Played again with my 8 dread list I posted in my last post. The game was against the same ork player, but after the latest GW rules update. Short one this time!

His list:

Speed Freaks

Evil suns

Warboss on bike with relic claw

Defkilla wartrike, speed king

5 bikerz

4 bikerz

3 bikerz

1x3 scrapjets

1x2 kustom boosta blasta

1x2 squigbuggies, 1 with nitro squigs

2x1 Dakkajet, 1 with an ugraded gun

1x6 Kopterz

1 gunwagon with the kustom kannon

The mission : Priority targets

Secondaries:

Orks - bring them down, looting, engage on all fronts

Wolves - bring them down, TTL (2 redemptors and bjorn), Oath of moment

We made a mistake during setting terrain down as one side had a major disadvantage due to having to travers a crater to get to the midfield objective. We only realised this in game though. Of course I got this side.

We each moved our home obejctives behind obscuring terrain and then the midfield objectives into our deployment zones. Only the objective in the middle of the table is in no man's land. I deploy 1 squad of intercessors, the infiltrators and the wolf on my left hand objective. The other intercessors and the company vets deploy on my other objective on the right flank, behind obscuring terrain. Bjorn deploys in front of the terrain, in range of the company vets. The 3 wulfen dreads deploy out in the open on my far right flank, while murderfang is in reserves. My dread castle and charachters deploy aggressively in my centre line - I want to control that mid objective as fast as I can.

Sadly orks go first...

Turn 1

He advances most of his army into the midfield, but not too close to my lines. His 5 man biker squad takes the midfield objective, while the planes fly into my deployment zone. He buffs the kopterz with rerolls 1's to hit and wound and they let rip into one of my plasma redemptors... He 10 -3ap 3dmg wounds in. I saved 2 for a total of 18 damage... He then lifts them up into reserves not allowing me any retaliation... BROKEN. Anyway, his planes and remaining buggies let rip at my gatling redemptor and kill it no problemo... It explodes dealing 3 MWs to both the iron priest and the rune priest. Both of my chars get finnished of with random anti infantry shooting. He also kills a few intercessors...

So I just lost over 600 points in turn 1! I naturally said that it was game over, but I didn;t drive to the club just to pack. I wanted to roll some dice and see if I could do at least some damage back. My chaplain gives + to hit to the redemptor and then turbo boosts to the right flank behind some obscuring. My wufen dreads move close to the centre to charge the bikerz. My redemptor rolls 1 for his macroplasma cannon and I reroll into a 1... I put all my shooting into the kustom plane in my lines and manage to kill it but that's more or less most of the damage I deal. The wulfen dreads charge into the bikerz and take them out with ease, securing the centre for me.

Turn 2

His kopterz come back down and take out my remaining redemptor, while the rest of his shooting concentrates on my troops and the wipe the left flank except for 1 heroic intercessor that stands tall. He also kills one of my wulfen dreads. In the assault phase he send his scrapjets into the 2 remaining wulfen dreads and manages to kill one. The dread in return only deals 5 damage (I roll really bad). He of course puts his broken kopterz unit back in reserves.

In my turn I try to see what I can do and send Bjorn and the company vets upfield. Murderfang comes out on the left flank and my chaplain gives him +2 to charge for a 86% (is that correct?) chance of getting into his backfield unit of looting bikerz. I put bjorn's melta into the boosta blastas but roll extremely poorly and only take one out. Time for the charges - bjorn and the vets get in with ease (they were like 4'' away). Murderfang however doesn't feel like fighting today and rolls a 3'' and then a 4'' after the reroll... Bjorn smashes into the scrapjets and destroys 2 and puts 7 wounds into the last one. My wulfen dread rolls extremely poorly (3 1's for wounds...) and the company vets also manage to only deal one wound, thus not killing the scrapjet. 

At this point i give up even though I was only a bit behind on points. I just wish GW would proofread their rules. The deffkopta unit is so broken it just wasn't fun to play against. Maybe If I went first and got up my 5++ then one of the redemptors would have survived and I would still have some chance? Probably not. Unwinnable if the opponent has a unit that can take a redemptor off the board in every shooting phase and is virtually untouchable. I still think this list can work as the wulfen dreads get overlooked by the enemy and with their solid 8'' move and native reroll can actually hit lie a truck... If you are not rolling like I usually do. The chaplain getting Murdefang into combat from reserves will probably also work eventually and Bjorn was a beast and easily made his points back.

Will try this exact same list next game.

• 1 year later...

The dread list is coming back for 10th!

Will be playing my 1st game with wolves in 10th ed against a classic rival - the dark angels. Let's see what Bjorn and the lads can do vs the Lion's spawn. 

The list:

Bjorn with frost cannon, heavy flamer

Murderfang

Wulfen dread with axe and shield

2 plasma redemptors

1 gatling redemptor

1 brutalis with meltas

1 balistus

Iron Wolf

Logan Grimnar

5 infiltrators

5 scout snipers