White Scars y0! (Primaris Vanguard Vets!)

Indomitus Ebon Keshig... 99% complete. Just needs decals + varnish

dJxZj6s.jpg

Oh... these look so good. Man you nailed these. You should be really proud how these turned out. What a cool way to take an older concept and insert it into the modern line up. Well done. 

(Consider the idea stolen! ;) )

• 1 month later...

Well this will probably wrap up my WS painting for 2020.  I still have to paint 3 more blade guard, 1 whirlwind, and 20 assault intercessors but it will have to wait.  So, Im off to work on some death guard until January.

The stallion that will mount the world!

d2AuWOE.jpg

Finished Bladeguard... with the mattest matte varnish from Mecha.

GcqBRie.jpg

2020 was a pretty good year for painting WS.  If only nurgle's plague would come to an end :(

kZdEIi4.jpg

Excellent work on the Outrider Chaplain, SanguinaryGuardsman. Did you name him "Drogo", as the quote from A Game of Thrones suggests?

No... I just refer to him as such because of how he has performed in games.  I really enjoy the 5 dmg beatstick with up to 9 attacks.  It makes me very happy.  But sure... Chaplain Drogo, excellent.

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

• 4 months later...

I actually really like my White Scar infantry horde style lists. I just happen to play against DG quite a bit now and it's such a brutal match up. And I know that you know this and have experienced the joy yourself, but my personal take away from this is I started including more heavy firepower via whatever floats your boat. (In my case I'm a sucker for ATV's )

• 2 months later...

I finally finished my Blade Guard Veterans.  I'm ready for in person games!(as soon as local restrictions are eased of course)

I also reworked by black armour workup.  Massive improvement.  I think I was getting really lazy using Mr Hobby Multiblack.  It is the kind of wash where you can get average results really really fast but it also tempts me to get lazy.  So I manned up and painted 7 blade guard vets without using it and edge highlighted all the black.  It hurt but I think they look good. 

Gonna be working on 10 primariszed vanguard vets next... lightning claw + stormshields, just in time for the nerfs!   

n7oyFrB.jpg

• 1 month later...

Huh? Is that sarcasm? Are you saying those are GW kits? Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but I certainly don't recognize those shields!

At any rate, it's great to see you update this thread. I don't think I could do hyper clean WS, but yours look beautiful as usual. Awesome job!!!

Are you getting games in yet? 

Huh? Is that sarcasm? Are you saying those are GW kits? Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but I certainly don't recognize those shields!

At any rate, it's great to see you update this thread. I don't think I could do hyper clean WS, but yours look beautiful as usual. Awesome job!!!

Are you getting games in yet? 

Thanks for those compliments.  I have been chugging away on WS at a slow rate recently so updates are slow.  Im moving to a new place in 2 weeks so painting time is in short supply and im fairly slow without constraints.  

These are in fact a kitbash using assault intercessors and 3d printed resin bits.  The claws/shield is from Popgoesthemonkey.  The jump packs are from Red Ward Miniatues.  I forget where the heads are from.   I have 5 more vets im putting into sub assembly tomorrow.  

I have played some games vs death guard using TTS... a practically impossible match for the style of list I have.  The -1 dmg and stench vats relic hard counters my entire list but I am branching out into more shooting so I think this problem will go away once I paint some mario karts and a leviathan dread.  I will finally get in some in person games once I have moved.  Covid isn't out of control in my area and I'm fully juiced up with vaccine.  

btw, Do you use this email for your blog at all?   Warp_xero@hotmail.com

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

• 4 weeks later...

Funny thing... I keep revisiting your Vanguard Vets as I consider trying a similar conversion with some fancy shields, but at the same time I look at the squad and think gees... there's almost no reason why GW can't create a true primaris Van Vet squad. The stats are there now, and it feels like a huge missed opportunity especially considering how bad Reivers are (cool models though)!

Funny thing... I keep revisiting your Vanguard Vets as I consider trying a similar conversion with some fancy shields, but at the same time I look at the squad and think gees... there's almost no reason why GW can't create a true primaris Van Vet squad. The stats are there now, and it feels like a huge missed opportunity especially considering how bad Reivers are (cool models though)!

I think if you wait for GW to release models you wont get anything done.  I've been waiting for updated zerkers for years now and it has prevented me from building and painting some reasonable zerkers.  It doesn't help that rumors of new World Eaters are scorching hot atm.  :(

I love your work! 

Big fan of youChoggan the Slicing Blade, great use of bits and I enjoyed how the colors turned out. 

Choggan the Slicing Blade

He was a character I created playing crusade.  He turned out to be fairly weak in both crusade and matched play but I don't care.  

Absolutely agree on the models. I have a zillion old Zerkers. I absolutely loved Daemonkin. (It's the only codex that got me to actually buy Daemons). 

So I know exactly where you're coming from. I know this is a bit off topic, but how it relates to me is the utter lack of World Eater support lead is actually a big reason why I play White Scars. I fell in love with the lore of White Scars as well (it seems to have improved tremendously over the years). The World Eaters have tons of great reads too of course.

I am sitting on new purchases since my Thousand Sons, and will continue to play White Scars until the World Eaters come out... maybe longer really. I still really like them. 

• 2 months later...

Jeez! Amazing work. Espacially the kitbash for the vanguard veterans. What kind of left arms did you use? I have seen that the shields are already printed with hands. Did you use the adjustable arms from Popgoesthemonkey.

I bought those adjustable monkey arms and they are complete Fenrisian Wolf excrement.  They just didnt have enough of a bend at the elbow to be suitable for holding a shield so I used various marine arm bits i had in my bits box instead.  Some required a bit of sanding down to fit but it turned out ok.