Non primaris units benefitting from PA

TiguriusX

I think we have to rely on synergy for delivery. Ragnar and Wulfen both provide 6" bubbles to reroll charges. Wolf Priests can now provide a +2" to charge on nearby units.

The other alternative is we leave outright speed to the Blood Angels and mech up. As noted above, units like Grey Hunters and Intercessors benefit significantly from Doctrines in both the Tactical and Assault Doctrines. Put them in Transports and focus on shooting the enemy before finishing them off in melee rather than trying to do a glorious Deathstar charge.

Seems to be the larger issue with space wolves as an army, delivery.

I think we have to rely on synergy for delivery. Ragnar and Wulfen both provide 6" bubbles to reroll charges. Wolf Priests can now provide a +2" to charge on nearby units.

The other alternative is we leave outright speed to the Blood Angels and mech up. As noted above, units like Grey Hunters and Intercessors benefit significantly from Doctrines in both the Tactical and Assault Doctrines. Put them in Transports and focus on shooting the enemy before finishing them off in melee rather than trying to do a glorious Deathstar charge.

Rides.

Always bring your rides.

Expensive?

Yes.

Delivery of units having improved odds?

Yes.

Enemy fire also won't drop bodies as fast, unless the controlling player somehow rolls a Ka-BOOM! on a die likely when, not if, the ride gets popped.

Still better to lose a ride than to just start losing actual warfighters.

Drop Pods now viable for GH? I really want to use some of my mothballed DP's

Drop Pods now viable for GH? I really want to use some of my mothballed DP's

Likely?

I figure the single greatest issue is the needs to meet the basic deployment.

Still, if Drop Pod Assault is a thing, which SW's may or may not get, then go for it?

Just meet your minimums, and then DP your GH packs.

You should likely shred rather well.

I will be the dissenting voice on GH drop pod

There is no synergy or benefit for turn 1 GH drop

The tactical buff on turn 2 can be done for 1 CP and you boost your army elsewhere.

3 drop pods is enough to pay for the troops to flesh out a battalion and fund the CP needed to outflank with 2 remaining

You lose the ability to drop in the middle of the board...but IMO that is worth the trade

You lose the ability to drop in the middle of the board...but IMO that is worth the trade

but but i love them:wub:

JK (well not really), good advice. I will ponder further 

Drop Pods have kind of conflicting up/downsides:

• They block space in the centre of the board/they provide enemy units a nice, safe place to hide in melee to stop them getting shot up
  • They block enemy movement with the doors down/they block your movement with the doors down

Pods can be useful, but you need to consider what you're putting in them and why. If you really want to, a full on steel rain type army could be fun, and against some armies (eg, Imperial Guard) it could be very effective; but against others (eg, Genestealer swarms, even Riptide Tau) it could be disastrous as it gives them a lot of protection.

Ultimately, go with your gut. Those CP could be saved by going Drop Pods for a few key units; or you could ignore the Pods and go for Cunning of the Wolf and bring more actual units.

On the mech note, having read through the Saga of the Beast stuff I am trying really hard not to come back here and run my old GH/Rhino rush list :sweat:

I havent really played my wolves much in the last couple of years due to working on my admech, so own no primaris.

Thought id write up a list using only models I own

BATALLION + VANGUARD (2000pts)

BATALLION

HQ

Wolf Lord - jump pack, TH, SS, armour of russ

Njal in terminator armour (Wolf sprits, Storm Caller, Living Lightning/Murderous hurricane if facing hordes)

Wolf Priest with jump pack, combi melta, morkais teeth bolts

TROOPS

Grey Hunter x5, plasma gun

WGPL, TH/SS

WGPL, TH/SS

WGPL, TH/SS

HEAVY 

Long Fangs x6 - 5x Lascannon

DEDICATED TRANSPORT

Razorback - HB/SB

Razorback - HB/SB

Razorback - HB/SB

VANGUARD DETACHMENT

HQ

Arjac

Bjorn (Lascannons)

ELITES

Wulfen - 4x TH/SS

Wulfen Dread - Claw w SB, Shield w SB

Wolf Guard x10 - All have jump packs, Leader has TH/SS, 6 Have SB/SS, 3 have dual chainsword

So things that I've noticed when writing up this list

Grey Hunters

now have doctrines so are better, primaris are still the better troop option id say but I can stick these in razorbacks and use them to get midfield/block LOS to wulfen etc.

Long fangs

are still excellent, really id take 2 squads but wanted a more fun unit in the list (jump pack wolf guard woop)

Njal

still seems a strong choice, his +1 is needed for our (still probably overcosted) powers. However, id consider swapping him out for a cheaper rune priest, just to have someone to put the talisman on.

Wolf priest

is now back in after years on the shelf. He tries to position for the WG drop/Wulfen Outflank/Dreadnought charge if possible. I have him with a combi melta as thats what i have modelled, but this lets him take morkai bolts

Wolf lord -

standard smash captain setup, with armour of russ. although tempting to get morkais bolts on this guy (as he hits on 2s, native reroll), i couldnt find a combination where he can keep an inv and thunder hammer, and also keep the boltgun.

Wolf Guard with JP

Ive always loved fielding one of these, very glass cannon but can do some work

Usually I ran with 9 SB/SS to put out tons of dakka on the turn they arrive (and then i just have the leader with TH/SS)

However, one thing I realised is that (on battlescrive at least) you can give these guys dual chainswords.

That gives them 5 attacks on the charge

Arjac nearby for +1 and reroll 1s to wound

Wulfen or Wulfen Stone nearby for +1

So ive updated my WG squad to have:

Jump Packs

Pack leader with TH/SS

6x SB/SS

3x CS/CS

24 SB shots the turn it arrives (likely now AP-1 due to tactical doctrine)

Fight phase - 

33 - 51 Standard Attacks (Arjac + Wulfen)

3 -5 TH attacks (Arjac + Wulfen)

All these attacks can now benefit from assualt doctrines (although this can be said for every unit now)

At 230 points its probably way too expensive. But if they go off they should blend things and have flexible use between tactical/assault doctrines.

In my list above id probably swap these out for a 2nd wulfen dread and more long fangs if I was making it more efficient. But I cant run a SW list without wolf guard in :smile.:

Also for rule of cool, I may well have model a full squad of wolf guard in jump packs with dual chainswords.

Edited by DanPesci