Night Lords Trilogy by ADB

Both BL series and the Spear are heavily focused on characters and world building instead of providing actual plot and Im still waiting for something actually satisfying to happen, so far its been a carrot on a stick.

As for MoM I was diappointed, that book was all over the place, but I consider all ADBs heresy books weaker in general, I prefer the short stories which are mostly great. Savage Weapons, Butchers Nails and the Long Night are my favorites. 

Both BL series and the Spear are heavily focused on characters and world building instead of providing actual plot and Im still waiting for something actually satisfying to happen, so far its been a carrot on a stick.

As for MoM I was diappointed, that book was all over the place, but I consider all ADBs heresy books weaker in general, I prefer the short stories which are mostly great. Savage Weapons, Butchers Nails and the Long Night are my favorites. 

Your take is so wildly divergent from mine, I highly doubt we agree on a single thing. lol

Hmm. I had avoided Spear of the Emperor, Anti-Primaris bias so sue me, but all of his Heresy work is required reading.

I'll have to pick up a copy of Spear.

I don't like Primaris Marines and I don't care about Cawl, Yvraine or how the Fall of Cadia was reduced to a single Marvel-style brawl between cereal box heroes. I was more than happy with Two Minutes To Midnight

But,

Guilliman's Return presents a whole new sandbox to play in, and authors like ADB and Chris Wraight have recently written some wonderful stories set within this sandbox. After all, Black Library is at its best bringing the worlds of Warhammer to life instead of inventing their own sagas such as The Beast Arises or the latter half of the Horus Heresy. The proof is in the pudding

Bringing this back on topic, how cool was the Night Lords' assault on the Marines Errant's fortress monastery? That was sweet. I remember first reading about that in the 5th edition rulebook under the Chaos Space Marines section (it might even be older). In fact I remember reading it in my mum's car while she was shopping on a hot summer day boiling my balls off as 14-year old in 2008. ADB bringing this to life in his 2011 novel Blood Reaver was fantastic, taking the pre-established framework and injecting a level of detail and character into the whole affair that only Black Library can pull off

Spear of the Emperor invents a conflict in this interesting new sandbox, and coupled with ADB's maturing writing style turns into an absolute must-read book