Kassill's Crossing the Rubicon Primaris

Kassill

Thorimir stood on a platform overlooking the port side hangar of the Anvindr, watching the Thunderhawks touching down ahead of him. He stood in full plate, recently mended but lacking a fresh coat of paint. The scoring and scars across his armor spoke volumes of what Tolv had recently endured, a company out of time and space it now seemed. So many questions raced across his mind but he took a deep breath and pushed them aside. There would be plenty of time for solving riddles and wyrd, but for now he needed to perform the duties of a Jarl.

He stalked down the metal stairs towards the now nestled gunships as servitors and serfs worked tirelessly across the hangar deck. They too were low in number now and would need replacements. The ramp of the closest vessel began to fall, hissing steam in all directions. There, he saw them for the first time. The Primaris. In his brief absence so much had happened. A primarch had returned, and with him a new era for the Adeptus Astartes. He had read and reread a hundred times the data sent to him from Fenris, But the foe had also been busy. So so much had changed in the time he had been gone, the time that, for the souls aboard the Anvindr, was barely a fortnight. 

The first of them walked cautiously down the ramp, weapons held close as they scanned the deck before them. His first thought was their size. He had seen the holo images and data relays, but now in person he took them in. Their armor was painted in a similar fashion to his own. Talismans and pelts dotted them and he noticed their pauldrons had recently been painted to match his company. Their scent was foreign, but also familiar, like crossing another packs domain that you had only briefly traversed before. He could sense they felt the same.

The first to approach him carried a thunder hammer, his bolt rifle slung across his back. "Jarl" he said, breaking the silence apart from the hangar noise around them. "Are you the one they call Kingslayer?" he inquired, removing his helm. Beneath, a fenrisian enough face stared back at him. His beard was braided in three tight cords against his chin. His head was cleanly shaven with a single blue serpent tattoo curved over one ear. 

Thorimir nodded, "And what does your pack call you?"

"I am called Grivnir Death Saga, Jarl. The Great Wolf sends his regards."

49705928923_0fc5f2883b_c.jpg

Going to be my new spot for painting and working on my Wolves. After slumbering for a while in the deepest corners of the Aett, I have decided to get back into the swing of things in 40k. I've also chosen now to rebrand so to speak. Primaris are the way forward it seems and while I was not terribly keen when they released, I have grown to like them. They are a joy to build and paint, and I like the ability to "wolf" them up as little or as much as I like. I've also chosen now to change things up on the painting side of life. I have been painting my Wolves the same way since early 5th edition, but I'm longing for something different. I'm going to pursue a more traditional blue/grey, but I want it to be dark and cold, like the color of a Winter storm. 

So with all that typing done, here is what is on my table at the moment! 

First up is Grivnir's Pack of Intercessors. Sadly I can not find any of my Grey Hunter bitz from years worth of Space Wolves, so for now they are a bit bare bones when it comes to SW bling. I did however still have some of these wolf pelt bits I picked up some time ago, so I will sparingly use them till I can find or acquire some more bitz. 
49706439431_0d493dfbc0_b.jpg
49706439401_5181315fb9_b.jpg
49706759477_ec8351ef42_b.jpg
49706439441_95bc044594_b.jpg
49706759517_06677f9378_b.jpg

I also have these 3 aggressors ready for paint, they have since been primed
49706759497_366e528585_c.jpg

And FINALLY, some painted models! These are the 3 easy to build intercessors that I got to try a new scheme, and I am pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but I think I'd be very satisfied with an army in this style. Also first time freehanding pack markings, I went with a simple red V for these fellas. Who knew painting straight lines would be hard... Company emblem will be the Ragnar style wolf in red. I'll either have to freehand that on these guys in the future or find a transer. The 30k Wolves transfer sheet is red, but it's very dark and almost unnoticeable on the black pads. 

49717221383_372776b13a_b.jpg
49718073707_c85e3791a8_c.jpg
49717759626_3dcf40962e_c.jpg
49717221428_aeb0b8643c_c.jpg
49718073737_35e6e2aca9_c.jpg

And lastly, I was blessed by the Allfather this past friday...

49706785902_437782dd70_b.jpg

:biggrin.:
 So far I have Ragnar in sub assemblies waiting to be primed. I am very excited/nervous to paint him! 

So if you've made it this far, thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think of the models and the color scheme. Also, be sure to check out the Name Generator pinned in this thread. First use it gave me Grivnir Death Saga, so it is legit! 

Fenrys Hjolda! 
Edited by Kassill

Small hobby WIP, finished up the first 5 Incursors from saga box. Decided to try my hand at greenstuff work and I was very pleased with the results. 

49731478987_c2b7ccccd3_c.jpg

This guy has to be my favorite of the first 5 built, very happy with the braid

49731156151_2395b43fef_b.jpg

the two basic looking ones do have some wolf bits tossed in, just hard to see. I'll show them off when I paint them. Trying to sprinkle bits in here and there.

49731478927_2e8cb26870_b.jpg

as far as the rest, I have Ragnar in sub assemblies and primed, hoping to get to him this weekend. I am equally excited and nervous to paint him. 

And today's words of wisdom felt like it could be a Fenrisian saying

49730645618_50f4dd0dd6_k.jpg

Edited by Kassill

RAGNAR LIVES!

49746744853_440b4e42a2_b.jpg

49747286161_425bd970ea_b.jpg

Very happy to have this gorgeous fella finished. There's still a lot I could get nitpicky with (You're always your biggest critic) but I am putting a pin in him for now. Going to build the rest of the Incursors and get those Aggressors painted up next! 

Edited by Kassill

Thank you brothers :wink: 

Nice work - very clean, and great choice of deep classic colors! Such a cool model. How did you approach doing the glowing blue runes on the sword? Also curious what your armor recipe is?

The runes are nihilakh oxide which look great against dark colors but I'm still not quite satisfied with them on the yellow sword. Something I may return to in the future... 

Armor is done with the airbrush
1-prime black

2-60/40 mix of The Fang and Abaddon Black (roughly, just a much darker blue/grey) 
3-mix in some more Fang and work up the colors on the flats 
4-mix in some white/off white (I used an acrylic ink from hobby lobby, Titanium White) and hit just key areas 
((3-4 are a done a few times till I'm happy with the look.)) 
4.5-Gloss Varnish
5-mix Army Painter Blue Tone and Dark Tone with their Quickshade Medium until your happy with the color and then wash the armor top to bottom

it's a rough copy of NextLevelPainting's Space Wolves using GW paints instead of P3 

Edited by Kassill

• 1 month later...

Wolf Priest finished for the Lockdown hobby challenge

Geigor Jotun-Wracked is ready to march to war.

49939716218_e87807b180_k.jpg

Calling him done for now. Sometimes you just have to put a mini aside and say "done" before you drive yourself crazy :teehee:

And I've been working on the main man, my Wolf Lord Thorimir Kingslayer

49939726303_281cf04be5_h.jpg

49939726703_45b8bb3e21_h.jpg

Tried my hand at some more greenstuff. Still not great with it but I'm pleased with the results. Trying to decide what to do with his base. 

That's it for now, waiting on some mail before I proceed with anything else. 

• 3 weeks later...

Grivnir's Pack complete 

49996221303_657628994d_k.jpg

the last 5 Incursors built from the prophecy box

49996221528_432ce558f4_k.jpg

DIY lightbox. Really happy with how well it works! 

49996994602_9c556f6d73_k.jpg

Lastly the next pack leader ready for paint. Friend said I should have one of my guys named Herger from 13th Warrior, this one felt suitable for such a name

49997008002_470137b4af_b.jpg

I did end up switching to P3 paints (Gravedigger Denim, Thamar Black, Sickly Skin) for this scheme like Kenny uses in his NexLevelPainting video. They had a lockdown sale so I grabbed the colors I needed and so far very happy with how they perform/look. I'm still no wizard with the airbrush like he is but I'm comfortable/pleased with what i've done so far. Just need some better weather to do anymore. 

That's it for now, thanks for looking/reading!  

Good job on Grivnir's Pack. Id Grivnir the thunder hammer wielder?

Indeed he is :happy.:

Love the work you are doing in this thread. Yer wolf Lord has great taste in Mainhand Weapons ! 

Thank you! I got started on him but wasn't watching my trigger control and ended up getting more paint in and around the claw and pistol arm. Wasnt happy with it so popped them off to strip. Going to give them another go as soon as I can

• 4 months later...

"They came out of the mist on an icy wind, and froze the blood of weaker men"

PLOG update. Moved twice this year and started a new job and school program so I haven't been as active. I just got my hobby set up at the new place and finally jumping into it again. How's everyone been here in the Aett?

50465372931_8667b307e3_k.jpg

I love love love these models and already want more. Big. Chonky. Biiiiikes. 

50464675263_04bace0493_b.jpg

Finished up this guy before work today. First time using my fur texture plate from greenstuffworld. So far so good I think. Thoughts? 

50464675563_76bfc6835f_k.jpg

Hoping to jump on the rest of the Bladeguard tomorrow, and then at some point I'll set up my airbrush, again, and get back to painting this year :teehee:

Edited by Kassill

Lovely work.

If I may ask, where did you find the ancient's banner?

Cheers,

GM

Thanks! popgoesthemonkey on shapeways. I use their wolf emblems for shoulder pads and have some other bits for various projects

Edited by Kassill